2004 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Taurus:

2004 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Nov 222016

Taurus

This is crap, the same cable is used on the 2000-2003 Taurus as my 2004 has, numerous people have nearly wrecked, including myself because the throttle sticks open propelling you at excessive speeds. I was smart enough to shut the key off to keep from rear ending someone, numerous times before I found the issue. The cruise control cable is the same junk design on previous models, and the internet is filled with thousands of Taurus owners like me in the 2004 and up model years nearly crashing, yet Ford has done nothing. Someone need to get killed before you all make them do something about this hung throttle issue"?"

- New London, MO, USA

Oct 172016

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated without the accelerator pedal being depressed. The dealer diagnosed that the throttle assembly was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 126,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jun 262016

Taurus

I entered the highway accelerating normally to blend in with traffic in the right travelling lane. Within seconds the car accelerated on its' own up to any alarming rate of speed. I slammed on brakes- nothing happened. Attempted to put car in neutral- nothing happened. I could not steer the car as it was going at least 100mph. I weaved between 3 lanes of traffic before hitting a car's bumper and flipping over 2-3 times and landed upright in the ditch in the medium. I was awake the entire time- in sheer terror. Had I not been wearing a seatbelt I likely would have been killed. The car was totaled. To my knowledge this 2004 Ford Taurus 24vt has had many other accidents and Ford Motor Co. Has not issued a recall. This is inexcusable!

- Franklin, MA, USA

Aug 212016

Taurus

The vehicle accelerates on its on up to 4K plus rpms and drives itself with increasing speed. This is our 18 year olds car. I can't believe this is a known issue by the NHTSA and Ford and no recalls have been issued. How many deaths does there have to be before some one issues a recall for the accelerator cable/cruise control system. Ford had the same issue with there 90 models Taurus and a recall wasn't issued til 2008. Wow is all I can say. Ford should be held responsible for their known issues that they continue to have repeated issues with. The cruise control doesn't work and the car continues to accelerate without the gas pedal being touched. An the rpms shoot up, almost rearending other cars.this has been an ongoing issue but I thought my daughter was over exaggerating till we took the car out.

- Miles City, MT, USA

Jan 012016

Taurus

Vehicle throttle got stuck, daughter was drive had to put car in neutral to kick throttle down, found out that cruise control cable is coming off throttle body and jamming, been happening multiple times for last year

- Monroe, CT, USA

Jul 242016

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 11/01/16

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Jun 242016

Taurus

Car suddenly accelerates by itself I will not be touching the gas and the car will speedily and consistently accelerating by itself without hitting the gas whatsoever. The car will be in park and its still trying to go by itself getting up to 3000 4000 rpms while its in park. This is ridiculous and very dangerous. The car needs to be recalled before someone gets hurt or worse !

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

May 162016

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Basehor, KS, USA

Feb 122016

Taurus

Sitting at stop light foot on brake vehical accelerates on its on. This is a problemi have experianced before on a 1976 mecury wagon. Its the cruise control. Ford was told then and did nothing but charge me for the inspection saying nothing was wrong. It happened again so I disconected the cruise control. Now its happening on a 2004 Taurus. If I was the one driving it wouldnt concern me but my X-wife panics easy so will disconect her cruise control. Ford needs to fix this before someone dies

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Nov 242015

Taurus

Today I noticed my cruise control would not engage. Later as I pulled up to a stop sign, my car revved forward and I had difficulty stopping it with the brakes. When I proceeded, it accelerated quickly with no gas applied, until I stopped it. It continued to rev after putting it in park. I troubleshot it with a coworker who saw a few other friends with this problem, and he showed me what it was: My cruise control cable disconnected from the throttle, and then stuck in front of the throttle so that it would not close. The clip locking the cruise cable to the throttle is defective. Very dangerous! I can't believe there hasn't been a recall for this.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Aug 202015

Taurus

The contact owned a 2004 Ford Taurus. When the vehicle was shifted into reverse, it suddenly accelerated and crashed into a tree. Immediately after the crash, the vehicle independently shifted into drive. The contact attempted to engage the brakes; however, they failed to respond. The contact's vehicle sideswiped another vehicle on the passenger side before crashing into an embankment and tree stumps. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,728.

- Clemsford , MA, USA

Jul 262015

Taurus

This has happened over the past two days. The first time was at a freeway speed of 65 mph and the second time happened on a side street at a speed of 40 mph. As I released the gas peddle the car maintained the speed or accelerated on it's own.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Feb 012014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired, but the failure recurred. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 10,033.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Mar 112014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving at 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 208,000.

- Blue Island, IL, USA

Jan 012013

Taurus 6-cyl

Cables for throttle and cruise control are routed in such a way that they are rubbing against other parts and their insulation is wearing out. I spotted this just as the sheath was being bit into and have rerouted. It is likely that both cables would have eventually have been cut through. Additionally, contrary to NHTSA findings that there were no crashes due to stuck throttles on 2005-2006 Taurus, there is evidence here that there has been: www.taurusowners.com/topic/3377-possible-Taurus-recall/.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Feb 012009

Taurus

Car keeps accelerating when I let up on gas pedal, also accelerates by it's self once I release break at stop. If I put in neutral and revev engine few times it goes back to normal RPM. Almost got me T-boned this evening!

- Okc, OK, USA

Jan 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact also stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 04/10/15 updated 11/5/2015

- Farmington, MI, USA

Oct 032014

Taurus

My 2004 Ford Taurus accelerated on its own quite a few times. After goggling the problem I saw that there had been a recall. I called Ford & was told my car wasn't included in the recall. They also told me to get it fixed because it could be dangerous. I know that because I was almost in a few accidents because of the sudden acceleration. I'd have to pull over, if not at a red light or stop sign, put the car in park & hit the accelerator a few times. I actually had to turn the car off & back on once to get the rpms down. I had the cruise control cable totally removed. The cruise hadn't worked in yrs. My mom owned the car before I did. I'd like to know why my Taurus wasn't in the recall.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Sep 232014

Taurus 6-cyl

When I drive, the gas pedal will get stuck and either stay at the speed without me setting cruise control or it may accelerate on its own. To get it loose, I have to jiggle the gas pedal (which can be very dangerous especially while driving), this usually stops the problem but I'm concerned that someday it will stop working and I won't be able to control this anymore. If I put the car in park or neutral it increases the RPM from 1 to 3 or 4. also if the RPM are increased while in park it makes it super hard to shift to drive and is stressful to my transmission.

- Wichita , KS, USA

Aug 142013

Taurus 6-cyl

The plastic bracket that attaches the cruise control cable assembly to the throttle is defective it slips off the throttle and gets caught causing the throttle to stay open.. this has caused my car to continue accelerating with my foot on the gas pedal to speeds in excess of 50 mph... braking is difficult because the car is continuing to accelerate.. this is causing stress on my braking system... I had a brother who was nearly killed in an accident because of a similar issue on a different vehicle.. the Ford reps I have talked to are aware of the issue yet Ford refuses to issue a safety recall.. are the waiting to be the next "GM" in the news.. waiting until people are killed instead of being proactive...

- Cleveland, OH, USA