2005 Ford Taurus accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Taurus:

2005 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Nov 052007

Taurus 6-cyl

I was on vacation driving up the coast of California and I noticed it was becoming increasingly difficult to brake my vehicle and my tachometer would not predictably fall as I let off the gas. It was subtle at first but then became more pronounced so I started shifting the car into neutral to see if it was the engine or something else. After putting it into neutral I noticed the car would not goes less than 2000 RPM on the tachometer. Then it became apparent that the car was accelerating independently of my input through the gas. I pulled into a parking lot and coasted in neutral, parked and shut off the engine. As I have some automotive mechanic experience, I figured something was wrong with the throttle linkage or something was stuck in the throttle plate. On inspection, I noticed the cruise control linkage and slid off. I then went to radioshack and bought some small zip ties and zip tied the linkage in place. It is to this day held in place with zip ties and I haven't had any problems since (108,000 miles currently). I saw that the NHTSA was investigating these vehicles for the same complaints and thought I'd report my incident in hopes of helping others.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA