2005 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Taurus:

2005 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 012016

Taurus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. While idling, the vehicle's engine revved without warning. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal until the engine stopped revving. The failure also occurred while driving. The contact felt that the vehicle was unsafe to drive and was fearful of a potential crash. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Hopkinsville, KY, USA

Aug 102016

Taurus

Accelerator would stick at a high RPM when stationary as well as in motion. This would occur erratically. The idol control valve was replaced twice before the mechanic noticed the cruise control cable was not connected. The cable was removed and not replaced. The idle control valve was replaced a third time with a motorcraft part.

- Riverside, CT, USA

Jul 252016

Taurus

While idling, the car suddenly accelerated on its on, and reached 60 mph before it could be braked down.

- Gadsden, AL, USA

Mar 302016

Taurus

2005 Ford Taurus with 53,000 miles has a problem that the engine accelerates on it's own while driving. The engine also revs up to 4000rpm in park on its own. Vehicle must be turned off and the accelerator must be pressed hard to "reset" the problem. Based on research online and previous investigation by the NHTSA, this appears to be a common complaint and issue with this model year.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 182016

Taurus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. After starting the engine, the rpms revved extremely high. On several occasions, the engine would not start and the check engine light illuminated. The cause of the failures was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Sep 012015

Taurus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. While operating the vehicle, the engine would suddenly rev very high and the RPM's increased without the driver pressing the accelerator pedal. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ignition coil, idler air control valve, and oxygen sensor were faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 072015

Taurus

As I tried to slow for a traffic light, the car continued to accelerate. I managed to bring it to a stop with the brake, but the engine continued to rev and I could barely keep it from lurching forward. I tapped on the accelerator and the engine went back to normal. At the next light, it did it again. This time I put the car in park and the engine revved to 4000 RPM. I turned the car off, but when I turned it back on, the engine was still at 4000 RPM. I tapped on the accelerator a couple of times and it went back to normal again.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Aug 262015

Taurus

Car will accelerat on its own. Very difficult to get stopped. Once its stopped and put in nutral or park will rev UP4000 to 7000 RPM. Have been extremely lucky not to have hit anything. Has happened on several occasions. Very scarry and dangerous situation. Made a complaint to Ford. Car has been to Ford dealer twice now withno fix thus far

- Southport, NC, USA

Jul 072015

Taurus 6-cyl

I saw a recall notice in the news: 06N07 7807 for my vehicle powertrain control module PCM recalibrating for the flex fuel. I never received any notices by usps and have lived at the same address since 1984. I had the Taurus into two different Ford dealerships for service and no one mentioned the recall. As I am retired military my vehicles are always kept in top condition for travel at anytime. I was refused service on the Taurus ( tow different Ford dealership had completed work on the Taurus, without taking care of the recall) the service rep stated that the time for repair had passed. No wonder Ford Motor Company stock is down in the time passed, (I have service bills that show that two different Ford dealerships and I do have starting problems with the E85 fuel. I am wondering if other consumers have the same problem with the lack of notices for recall. I just want another dealership to repair the problem and make a customer and shareholder happy...updated 08/27/15

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 052015

Taurus 6-cyl

20150705 0940 as I was driving about 25-30 mph the car started accelerating on its on, I tapped on the brakes, there were no deceleration of the vehicle, as the car continued to accelerate. As I was coming to my left hand turn approaching other vehicles I realize that I was not going to be able to stop the car as long as the car keeps accelerating, therefore I executed the turn prematurely to avoid a possible accident. As I entered onto the street I turned on to I pumped the brakes several times and the car continued to accelerate. I continued to press the brakes and slowing the car to about 5 mph and released the brakes and the car taken off again. I placed the car in neutral and revved the engine several times and the engine speed came back down to idle.I just had the vehicle at the butch oustalet Ford dealership (20150512 with a written and oral description of the problems with the acceleration, engine shut-off, stalling. I was contacting by them informing me about the cruise control cable, windshield wiper water hose broken as well as bill for over $1000 to repair.as I researched online last night to find out there has been a issue related for this same problem, and that NHTSA has contacted Ford about this, but given them the opportunity to handle it in-house, a recall was never issued of this potentially death trap at the cost of the consumer.on the invoice there is a limited warranty for certain parts, but there is no warranty for misdiagnosing, wrongful charge, intentional fraud and abuse of customer expectation, not to mention integrity of the dealership.what I have read online regarding NHTSA investigation is, it is going to take several deaths related to this issue before positive corrective matters are taken before the consumers receive the justice that is needed.1965 mustang issues, still in denial.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Apr 012015

Taurus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. While driving over 55 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they cleaned and lubricated the throttle body. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Long Pond, PA, USA

May 182015

Taurus

Traveling on interstate highway at 70mph. Suddenly the transmission gears disengage and there is no more acceleration. I coast to the side of the road. Engine is running, but the vehicle will not move when shifted in any gear (forward or reverse). Towed to nearest Ford dealership. They suspect torque converter and/or full transmission failure.

- Ottawa, KS, USA

Jan 012015

Taurus

I have a 05 Ford Taurus with the same exact symptoms as the previous year Taurus had wich lead to a recall. My cruise control cable will come off the throttle body holding the throttle open and revving at 4 grand when pit in neutral to resolve the issue. After a week of disputing with the car dealership, they finally fixed it at no charge.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 292015

Taurus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently to 55 mph. The contact applied the brake pedal on multiple occasions; however, the vehicle continued to accelerate. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the cruise control cable became disconnected from the throttle linkage which locked the speedometer at 55 mph. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 196,560.

- Memphis , MI, USA

Aug 022014

Taurus

My 2005 Ford Taurus experienced sudden acceleration last night when I was turning into a parking lot. The engine revved up to about 4,000 RPM and I had to apply the brakes to try and keep the car from speeding up. I was able to park the car and turn it off. When I started it again, in park, the engine immediately sped up to about 4,000 RPM again, with no pressure on the gas pedal. When I tapped the gas pedal, the engine slowed back down to normal. I have not tried to drive it again since then.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Jun 012014

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving my 05 Taurus today and I noticed that I did not have to push the pedal to keep going. I let off the gas and the car kept accelerating and I had to brake to slow down. I put it in neutral and the engine whinned out at 4000 RPM's. I had to hit the gas pedal two or three times for it to settle down. It would go okay for a while and then start up again. I wondered why my brakes were wearing down so fast. This is my wife's car and she normally drives it all the time. She did not tell me it was acting up because she thought she broke it! thank god she did not have a wreck. I have deemed the car now undriveable till it goes in the shop. This is a very dangerous situation and Ford should take care of it.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Jun 022014

Taurus 6-cyl

About a month ago while driving on the freeway, after accelerating, the vehicle wanted to keep accelerating. I maintained speed by braking. I pumped the gas pedal a few times which seemed to fix the issue. This occurred a few more times over a months period. The beginning of July 2014 the same thing happened but pumping the gas was ineffective. I braked and pulled off the road. I put the vehicle in park which made the rpms go quite high and then shut the engine off. I looked under the hood and found a cable disconnected going to the throttle which I believe is part of the cruise control. I reconnected the cable and was able to drive home. Today I went to the Ford dealer to discuss the issue. They gave me the contact info for Ford owner and I opened a case. Ford said there is currently no recall for this issue. Currently the car seems ok but the problem is intermittent and im not sure if the cable will disconnect again. Incident was a bit nerve racking but could have been serious if I needed to bake quickly.

- Washougal, WA, USA

May 212014

Taurus

While driving with my two young children in the car on the freeway, I noticed that I seemed to keep picking up speed even after I had taken my foot off the gas pedal. I first attempted to push and pull on the gas pedal thinking it was stuck but no success, I then attempted to pull off the freeway and turn the engine off but the car would not come to a complete stop while pushing the brake. I then placed the car in neutral and attempted to stop, still unable to come to a complete stop. I slowed down as much as I could and threw the car in park, with the engine still attempting to go! I immediately turned the car off and had aaa come out to assess the vehicle. I do not understand why this has been an ongoing issue for so many of the same vehicles and nothing has been done for years!!! its better to be proactive and have the part fixed than to not fix the issue and have accidents from this issue!

- Grove City, OH, USA

Jun 072014

Sudden acceleration problems.

- Centre Hall, PA, USA

Jun 162014

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving to the store down curvy, mountain road when I slowed down to cross a railroad track. Then when I came out on the other side the car suddenly accelerated and just wanted to keep speeding up. I had to down shift and ride the brake to try to get it to slow down. I was doing 40 in a 35 zone and it just keep wanting to go, go, go. I put mt left foot on the emergency brake and was barley able to keep from going through a stop sign into oncoming traffic. As I pulled out I tapped the accelerator and from that point on it seemed to go back to normal (thankfully because I was then approaching a 15 mph school zone.) Ford and the government have known about this problem since 2007! what are you people waiting on" are you going to wait until somebody dies from this defect before you deem it worthy of a recall? you need to fix this now!!! which one is more important to you, profit, greed, quarterly statements, or a human life???"

- Welch, WV, USA