2005 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Taurus:

2005 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 24 of 24)

Feb 102010

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus with 85,000 miles. Within the last week the throttle would stick when the vehicle was in motion causing an increase in speed without applying any pressure to the accelerator. I had to apply pressure to the brake to regain control of the speed of the vehicle but the engine would still idle high. Due to the sudden increase in speed on a couple of occasions I almost lost complete control of the vehicle and would have hit the vehicle in front had I not veered off to the side of the road and place the vehicle in park while it was still running and idling high. I called my local dealer who advised me that they had seen a sudden increase of this type of issue and that they were cleaning or decarbing the throttle but if it had to be replaced they would let me know. On the way to the dealer, the vehicle again started to accelerate on it's own and I had to get off the highway and try and control the vehicle speed by applying pressure on the brakes. I dropped off my vehicle on 2-12-2010. According to the dealer, not only did they have to clean the throttle but I had to have my injectors cleaned as well as replace the cruise control cable.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 162009

January 16, 2009 I began having trouble with my car accelerator sticking. I had to ride with my foot on the brake because car would accelerate to high speed if I took my foot off the brake. I took it into my local Ford dealer and they found the retainer on throttle body broken and the throttle body, gasket and cruise control cable need replacement at $249+ tax, plus I had to pay $43 just to find all this out. They had to cut the cruise control cable out so the accelerator would stop sticking. I declined the repair, as I felt this vehicle should have been recalled for this dangerous problem and/or it should have been a warranty repair. So now I have no cruise control, which I paid for when I bought the vehicle in 2005. I feel Ford should foot the bill for this repair, since this was apparently a manufacturing defect, and car should have been recalled.

- Elbridge, NY, USA

Jan 012009

2005 Ford Taurus has sticking gas pedal problem similar to the recent Toyota gas pedal problem. Dealer offers no warranty for repair.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Nov 272009

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. While driving between 50-55 mph there was an unintended acceleration without application of the accelerator pedal. After several minutes, she was able to resume normal vehicle operation. The failure and current mileages were 160,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Honey Grove, PA, USA

Nov 042009

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. While driving 30 mph the accelerator pedal became stuck. After repeated brake application he was able to decelerate. The vehicle was taken to a local repair facility, and a mechanic cleaned the throttle body. The failure resurfaced, so the vehicle was taken back to the repair facility. The mechanic noticed that the detent cable was disconnected from its anchor on the throttle body. It was repaired temporarily until the cable part was ordered. The failure and current mileage was 50000. Updated 04/13/10. Updated 10/07/10

- Toms River , NJ, USA

Oct 282009

While driving my daughter to school this morning, my car began to accelerate. My foot was not on the gas pedal and my car was going 60 mph. I slowed down by using the brake, but as soon as my foot was off the brake my car began to quickly accelerate again. I put my car in neutral and the RPM's went up to 5. I had to put it in park and shut it off. This happened a total of 4 times in about 30 minutes. Had the same problem a few months ago and the Ford dealership said it was something with the cruise control. They disconnected the cable and ordered a new one. It helped for a few months. I was surprised to see numerous complaints about the same thing on your website. I don't understand why there has not been a recall. Although I have not seen any accidents or crashes associated with these complaints, rest assured it is only a matter of time. Citizens are expected to act responsibly by following the laws, paying their taxes, carrying automobile insurance, etc. Why are the automobile makers not being held to the same standards of responsibility?

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Oct 222009

Have a 2005 Ford Taurus flex fuel. When stopped at a stop sign it accelerated like the gas pedal was to the floor! had to put it in neutral to stop it. Now all of a sudden my steering wheel is making a strange sound like marbles rolling around in it and my cruise control won't engage. The light on the dash board lights up as though it is working but you take your foot off the gas and it slows down. I have seen recalls for the Taurus before and after the 2005 model for fire hazard with the cruise control going out but not for the 2005. They need to recall it and fix before a class action lawsuit is filed or someone dies!

- Albany, GA, USA

Apr 022009

I took my car in to maroone Ford in delray beach fl for an oil change and the service advisor suggested I get an induction flush, since that time my car has surged now and then without any notice. I will be driving and the car takes off like the throttle is stuck and I usually have to turn off the car engine to fix it.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Mar 142009

Driving home from work just as I do every day my car began to drive funny it felt like the wind was pushing me along and the car was speeding up. As I continued to drive I began to tap the gas pedal and the car showed me a mind of its own it accelerated to 60 miles an hour (above the speed limit) and the rps were at about 4500. I pulled over and shut the car off. When I got back on the road the car seemed to be fine. Aver the next few days the car began to accelerate on its own more and more. We took it into the shop and they told me that I needed to have the induction system cleaned out after paying for that the car seemed to work fine for about a week. The car continues to accelerate on its own and I will be taking it back to the auto shop to try again.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Mar 152008

The accelerator on my 2005 Ford Taurus SE gets stuck, causing the car to accelerate and/or to continue driving without the driver touching the gas pedal. It has been fixed four times and each time the repair only lasts a few weeks to a couple months before it occurs again. It was repaired twice by a local garage, first by lubricating the throttle cable then the cable was replaced. We then took it to a Ford dealership service department. They replaced and cleaned the throttle assembly and ultimately disconnected a cruise control cable, thinking the cruise control was malfunctioning. This issue has continued and is clearly unsafe. Incident date is ongoing for the last year.

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Jan 192009

I released the gas pedal. The vehicle would not slow down. The engine had to be shut down. The throttle cable was examined and found defective. The dealer replaced cable assembly. The dealer also retained failed assembly.

- Franklin Pk., IL, USA

Aug 102008

The car will accelerate without touching the foot pedal or having the cruise control on. You have to ride the brake and shift to neutral to rev the engine and eventually disengage this acceleration process. The mechanic has cleaned the throttle body and replaced the throttle position sensor. Both of these fixes seemed to "solve the problem" for a while. But the car is back to this condition again. On going problem for 10 months.

- St. Joseph, MO, USA

Nov 202005

Taurus 6-cyl

- the contact stated that sporadically while driving the 2005 Ford Taurus with 28,000 failure mileage at any rate of speed, and attempting to come to a stop the vehicle surges forward. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop, but the dealer couldn't find any failures. The current mileage was 35,700. The consumer stated that this is a dangerous defect and would like for to look into a recall for to fix potential defect. Update 4/25/07

- Hamstead, MD, USA

Feb 272007

Taurus 6-cyl

- the contact called regarding a rented 2007 Ford Taurus. The contact had the vehicle for two weeks and the engine surgeed unexpectedly. The failure occurred intermittently. The failure mileage was 11,062. Updated 03/19/07.

- Hampstead, MD, USA