2005 Ford Taurus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Taurus:

2005 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Feb 152016

A D V E R T I S E M E N T S Ford recalls 1.5M more vehicles for faulty door latch my 2005 Ford Taurus experiences multiple non-latching issues on all 4 doors (front and back), including going down the road and the door flies open. I can then no longer close the door as it won't latch closed. Only after clicking the latch open/close manually does it finally begin to work once again. Note: This issue is much worse in the colder season especially after rain/ sleet, or snow. Biggest concern - once it opens, it won't close/lock shut. Please address this voluntary limited recall by Ford as a safety recall for all Ford products.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Dec 082015

Car accelerates on its own when driving. I have almost wrecked numerous times because of it. Not safe at all. When pulling into my driveway every day it does it and shoots me into the driveway fast almost hitting garage. This needs to be recalled before me or my kids are hurt because of it.

- St Joseph, MO, USA

Nov 302015

I have a car that revs to 3 on start. On driving or backing it 'chugs' on it's own and has jumped 3 ft back when backing up. It stall at stop sign/red lights. It "chugs" even when car has warmed up and will "chug" at each stop and start. City driving is impossible as are parking lots. Very dangerous! I have spen $450. On repairs. I even went to the Ford dealer, same thing. Trial and error and it is not fixed and is getting too expensive. I need a solution to this. It has been 3 months of horror driving this car and I have my grandchildren on a very regular basis. Please help!

- Winslow, ME, USA

Sep 022015

The car revs to 3 RPM's on start. Eventually, it may kick down. As you start off, reverse or drive, the car "chugs" and has jumped back 3 ft while I was backing up. It may stall at stop sign/red light. It "chugs" at each slow down and start. Very dangerous. It is necessary and very dangerous and unnatural, but left foot on the brake and right on the gas is mandatory. Also very dangerous. Parking lots are hazardous, as is my parking at home. The car "chugs" completely on its own and if one is not completely aware and prepared will jump 3 feet and hit what ever is near.

- Winslow, ME, USA

Jan 122015

Taurus 6-cyl

Was at stopped at a red light, when it turned green proceeded through the intersection when my car suddenly down-shifted into neutral without any warning. The check engine light had come on, but no noises or any other mechanical indication. The car behind me had to swerve around quickly to avoid hitting me. I had to put the car in park, and turn off, and restart to gain my drive ability back. After that I would not drive the car, for safety of myself and children. My husband test drove it after doing some basic transmission services, but the problem persisted. He now believes that it is the torque converter, which after much research is highly common with this make and model. This is a costly repair, and an extremely dangerous issue, that seems to be occurring frequently among owners of this make and model. Im in disbelief that Ford hasn't been investigated for transmission issues by now, after the hundreds of complaints made about this exact issue.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Oct 242014

Taurus 6-cyl

Was driving my car when all the sudden it accelerated up to 40+mph with our me even touching pedal... I attempted to hit brakes but it kept going and slammed into curb on passenger side.. no body damage was done but I destroyed both rims, tires are flat and wheels are bent which I'm assuming is the alignment and suspension... I just bought/financed this car from a used lot on 10-18-2014 and now owe for a car that's pretty much totaled... however I did notify them that night (5 hrs after purchase) that the car was revving high and accelerating and hard to stop. I also took video of this... but I had to work all week and didn't have time to go in and complain about issue.. then on Friday October 24th after I got off work and was almost home.. the car sped up and I couldn't stop it had to hit curb in order to stop car from driving me through an intersection and into a concrete wall. And now the car is parked in my complex, and can't be driven.... I'm just extremely thankfull that my wife and newborn were not with me this time..

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 012012

When aoperating about 35 miles per hour the car will suddenly accelerate on its own. The RPM will go to 3+. to interrupt I tap the gas pedal a couple of times and step on the brake. It does not happen all of the time. I thought I had done something the first time, but then it has happened several times since. It is at the car dealership to be worked on tomorrow.

- Windham, ME, USA

Mar 142012

Taurus 6-cyl

The mileage listed is approximate as the car is still in for servicing. On the morning of 3/14/2012, I was slowing down to stop at a red light. The car felt like it was still accelerating, as if the cruise control was on. I hit the brakes but nothing happened. I ended up having to hold the brake down to the floor to make the car come to a stop. I tried shifting into neutral and the rpms shot up to 4. I shifted back into drive and the car still tried to accelerate. The whole time at the red light, the engine was revving and the brake felt like it was fighting the accelerator. When the light turned green and I took my foot off the brake pedal, the car accelerated. I pulled off into a parking lot and held the brake to the floor again to make it stop. I put the car in neutral and the rpms shot up again. I put it in park and the rpms were going to 5. I turned the car off thinking that may reset whatever the issue was. I waited 5 minutes before turning the car back on and when I did, the rpms again shot up to 4. I called the nearest Ford dealership to make arrangements for service and started the car again. The same thing happened. I shifted into drive and as soon as I took my foot off the brake the car accelerated. The car seemed to be stuck in cruise control, fully accelerating. The car was taken straight to the dealership and when the technician started the vehicle, he experienced the same issue. After a diagnostic test, the technician told me that the issue was with the air intake and also stated there was an electronic update for the Taurus available. I asked if this would correct the acceleration issue and he stated that it should.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jan 092012

2005 Ford Taurus - throttle sticks, vehicle will speed up without pushing on the gas. This has occurred numerous times, quite scary regardless of location or speed. This has occurred in town and on the interstate. Vehicle must be put in neutral and the gas peddle must be pushed to the floor to get vehicle back under control.

- Warrensburg, MO, USA

Jun 152011

Taurus 6-cyl

Numerous times, when the foot was removed the accelerator, the engine did not return to idle but continued as if your foot was still on the accelerator. Would have to apply brakes and get off the road. Extremely hard to stop if going very fast. Kill the engine, raise the hood and barely touch throttle control where the accelerator cable is attached and it would snap back to the idle position. This has happened at least 7 or 8 times. Extremely dangerous!

- Aledo, TX, USA

Nov 232011

I noticed a musty smell first. After a heavy rain I noticed that my passenger foot well was soaking wet under the floor mat. I dried it up. Next time it rained it was wet again and I did notice some dripping from the top right of the foot well. Other water is coming in somewhere else, maybe behind the carpet as it is getting more wet every time it rains. The entire floor is soaked with water.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 082011

While in parking lot, car suddenly accelerated without touching the gas pedal. Held the brakes to keep car from moving and put the car in neutral. When I put the car in neutral, the rpms when up to 7000, gas pedal was not being touched. After I got the car stopped and while in neutral, I quickly pumped the gas pedal once and the engine came back down to idle. This has happened on the highway as well. I am surprised by the many reports of this on the Ford Taurus that it isn't a recall. This is the same type of issue Toyota had. Sudden acceleration. Does someone have to die before this gets recalled?

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 272011

While sitting at a stop light I felt the car trying to lunge forward. When the light turned green and I slowly released my foot from the break the car began to accelerate and move on its own without me stepping on the gas pedal. I had difficulty stopping the car completely and pulled to the side of the road and put the vehicle in park. The car started revving up and becoming very loud. I put the car back into drive and the car drove on its own. This happened again today, but the acceleration speed was more aggressive this time, I pulled over into a empty parking lot I was too afraid to be behind another vehicle because although the brakes were working I had to press all the way down to floor to get them to stop the vehicle completely. What's even worse is now my car has started to accelerate in reverse as well. After seeing the same complaint over and over on this site I do not know why the car has not been recall. This is very dangerous. I felt afraid for my life! and by the way last week I made my final car payment for this car and just days later this happened!

- Conyers, GA, USA

Mar 022011

Drive at about 20mph. Try to hit the brake to stop. Car make very loud noise. Found gas pedal not come back. Take to dealer, dealer told me gas pedal stick due to some spot on throttle body. So have to change the throttle body.

- South Hadley, MA, USA

Jan 182011

The best way to describe what happened is that it seemed to be doing exactly what the Toyota were doing, accelerating on it's own. When I would get to approx. 50-55mph, I could feel the gas pedal "stick." The car would then accelerate on it's own without my foot on the gas, up hills, on flat roads, etc. The brakes would stop the car, but you could hear the engine idling in a higher gear, and when the brake was released, the car would take off without gas being applied. Once, when I was parking, the car was doing this and when I placed the gear in "P" the RPM's when past 3 before I shut the car off. When I called the Ford company to inquire about this, they instantly knew what the problem was and said they had seen 3 come in with the same problem already. The problem ended up being the throttle body and cruise control cables. I just felt that I needed to let you know of the situation as it concerned me while I was driving and if it has happened enough that one dealership knows the problem instantly without seeing the car, I think this may be an issue that warrants a recall of some kind.

- Newnan, GA, USA