2006 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Taurus:

2006 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Feb 262014

Taurus 6-cyl

The gas pedal periodically sticks between 35-40 mph in my 2006 Ford Taurus. This causes the engine RPM's to increase. I am able to slow the car by pressing the brakes. I can also stop the engines racing by tapping the pedal again abruptly.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Feb 072014

Taurus 6-cyl

I purchase this car on 11/2013; I have only driven the car for 3 months. Since then, on 2/7/14; as I was driving along a major highway I noticed my car engine was racing a little higher than normal. I thought the gas pedal was sticking because two days prior to this I felt the gas pedal kicked back several times. I removed my foot from the pedal and notice the car was driving and the RPM was going higher. I press the brakes to slow the car down and get into my right lane, where I parked the car on an autozone lot. I called triple aaa for a tow and when they arrived I was informed to accelerate the gas which made the car engine settled at a normal RPM; therefore, I was able to continue on my journey. On my way back home, I took the parkway and the car started accelerating again. This time, I coarse the car to an accelerating lane, shut off the engine; turned the engine back on and hit the gas till the engine settled. Since then I am afraid to take any highways; I only drive local. Should I take the car in for a re-call?

- Vauxhall, NJ, USA

Dec 242013

Taurus 6-cyl

Car auto accelerating while driving without gas pedal press. Had to brake very hard to stop the car. In park position, engine directly ran to 3000rpm. In drive position, the engine speed 400rpm higher than usual. Sent my car to 2 diff workshops. No vacuum leak, no dtc. Changed iac valve. Yet still not fix the issue. Problem happened several times recently. Fault can be recovered if drive long time in low drive.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Dec 132013

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving approx 45 mph and went to decelerate. I noticed the car not slowing down and the tac was at 1800 RPM. I hit the brakes harder and was ready to put the car in neutral but did not. I could hear the brakes working harder. The rpms still at 1800 as I turned into work. I heard a pop and the motor rpms dropped to just under 1000 rpms. On my way back home the cruise control seemed to work properly with the exception of no acceleration or holding speed. The cruise control would not engage. On 12/16/13, I looked at the throttle assy and noticed a cable had come unclipped. I reattached the cable and I tried the cruise control, it engaged. Anyone not familiar with an automobile would have had an accident with injury or worse. Please investigate this issue. Thank you.

- Colonial Beach, VA, USA

Nov 182013

Taurus 6-cyl

On November 18, 2013, my niece was driving my 2006 Ford Taurus sel that was just purchased on June 25, 2013 and experienced what appeared to be some sort of mechanical malfunction with the accelerator. After driving on I-64, she was slowing down to get off the exit, but the car was speeding back up reaching almost 80mph. The brakes helped to slow the car down, but not completely stopping. Once it did come to a complete stop at the red light, she put the car in neutral and it caused the car rev up even more, like she was pressing the gas pedal and brakes at the same time. After letting the car sit for about an hour, she tried driving again, and it repeated the same process. The dealership (crossroads Ford in prince george, va) was called that I purchased the car from and my niece spoke with a service advisor. The advisor informed my niece that there is no recall on the vehicle and I would have to pay a minimum of $107 just for them to look at it see what was wrong as the power train warranty coverage I purchased does not cover this issue. My niece also informed me that no one she spoke with was sympathetic or empathetically to her well-being, never asked if she was okay and did not offer any alternative solutions or even a courtesy review since I've only had the car for roughly 6 months. This is an extremely dangerous situation that is sure to cause injury or death if not addressed immediately. I have filed a complaint with Ford corporation as well as reported this database finding to crossroads Ford to address this growing issue.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Aug 182009

In a 70mph zone I nudged the gas pedal to speed-up slightly and the engine would not stop speeding-up reaching a speed 85mph while I am frantically working the brake in an effort to slow it down. At that point I was terrified as I was approaching a car some-ways ahead of me, then I just sat on the brake and was ready to slam it into neutral when the brake started responding and I had to ride the brake into the nearest gas station. Being a Sunday I had to call a tow truck to get my car home until the next day for the tow to get us to the Ford dealer. Now on Sept 21, it happened again, in town, luckily near a garage. This should be addressed before injury or deaths occur.

- Reno, NV, USA

Aug 012013

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving to work and the vehicle accelerated out of control. I tried stopping the car, I put it into park, and even while in park it was still revving up to 4 or 5 thousand rpms. I re-started the car hoping this would "re-set" the vehicle. No such luck. As for now, the vehicle's gas pedal is either stuck, or something is wrong with the cruise control cable. Either way, the situation, in my opinion, is extremely dangerous. My brakes began to smoke before I could get the vehicle home and wait for my husband to help me figure out what to do next.

- Salida, CO, USA

Jun 012013

Taurus 6-cyl

After exiting the freeway and attempting to slow down, the car became difficult to control and hitting the brakes slowed it down but was not stopping. With a red light ahead I put the car in neutral, to slow down but the engine begin to rev, I was able to pull into a parking lot where I put the car in park. Once the car was put in park, the throttle kept going and the RPM accelerated to just under 4000. I shut the car off and called my husband, when he arrived he took a look under the hood and said the cruise control cable had come undone and was caught up on the throttle. I had my two girls with me at the time, 4&2. after doing some research I discovered this is a problem with this car. I can't believe this is not a recall, I guess because there hasn't been any fatalities its not a big deal. This is a major issue that needs attention fast, I hope im wrong but I think its only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 232013

Taurus 6-cyl

Driving the car on a county highway in Texas, let off brake to slow down while approaching intersection, car sped up but we avoided accident by pulling off road. Friend came and we observed that while in park with nobody in car, the car's engine would accelerate to over 4,000 RPM, decline to just below 3,000 rpms, then accelerate again to over 4,000. Towed to dealer, was told it was a dirty throttle, which had just been cleaned a little over a year ago.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

May 072013

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle accelerated without the contact applying pressure to the accelerator pedal. The contact was able to stop vehicle and the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis, who stated that there were two sensors that needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Brundidge, AL, USA

Sep 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

Purchased the car in late August 2012. Shortly after purchase car would rev high on cold starts, when placed into gear car sometimes would die. This was not a consistent problem and difficult to describe and identify the issue. By the end of December 2012 the problem became consistent on each cold start. Took car into Firestone. Firestone replaced idle air control valve and cleaned fuel system. First attempt to replace air control valve failed when they believed the new part was defective. Replaced new one with another new one and the car started fine for about a month and went back to inconsistent start ups. Took car back to Firestone. They again replaced air control valve and the problem still was present and I was told to take to the dealership. Took to the Ford dealership, they stated the most recent air control valve placed by Firestone was defective and they replaced air control valve with Ford exclusive part. Picked car up and upon leaving the car suddenly accelerated on its own. I turned the car around and had them look at it again. They could not duplicate the problem or determine what caused the sudden acceleration. Two weeks later the problem appeared again while driving on the highway. I would lift my foot off the gas and the car would accelerate to 60mph before I applied the brake to slow it down. To keep a consistent speed I would have to "ride the brake". I internet searched the problem and came across an article describing the exact problem I was having and that it was under investigation for 2005-06 Ford Taurus for sudden acceleration most likely due to cruise control cable catching on the throttle. Told Ford dealership what I discovered, took the car in and they identified that the cruise control cable was in fact catching on the throttle.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 152013

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate with the cruise control on (at 72 mph). When I exited the interstate at the exit ramp, the car had difficulty stopping. I had to press the brakes really hard to get the vehicle to stop and at first thought it was a braking issue. I had to drive through 3 traffic lights to get to the closest parking lot to stop and each time I had a very difficult time getting the car to stop and it would "jack rabbit" start and I didn't have to hit the accelerator between lights (car would go 35 mph or so). I pulled into the parking lot and put the car in park, when I did, the engine revved open and went up the 3500-4000 RPM before I could shut it off. I waited for my brother to come check the car. He hooked up the car to a computer to check for any issues and there weren't any that came up on the computer. He had me start the car and it was running in the normal RPM range. I haven't had any issues since and haven't had the car checked out since it was behaving normally. I read about the investigation on the vehicle from 2012 and noticed that the reports I read were very similar to what happened to me. I hadn't tried to use cruise control again until today and discovered that my cruise control isn't working. The "cruise" light comes on, but when I try to set the cruise control, it won't set at all. I tried turning it off and on 3 times to get it to set and it didn't work. I am planning on inspecting the cruise control cable in the near future to prevent further issues, but I wanted the NHTSA to be aware of the issue.

- London, KY, USA

Aug 152012

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 80,000. Updated 5/7/13 the consumer stated the idle air control valve and the camshaft were also replaced. Updated 06/10/2013

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Mar 182013

Noticeable variations in speed with no direct connection to gas pedal/brakes. This started within the last few weeks and I am fearful that I will not be able to stop when needed. Also, the steering wheel has a rattle now and the steering seems "off".

- Matthews, NC, USA

Mar 152013

On my way to work I was trying to reduce my speed but noticed I couldn't because it was as if I still had my foot on the gas pedal, and my car was not slowing down. It happened on two different occasions that morning, when I left work it was worse the gas pedal was almost stuck and was still gaining speed even with me applying the brake, I almost hit several people before I was able to get to my destination and shut the car off. As a mother I was thankful my children were not in the car at the times this occurred, but it scared me to death and am lucky to be alive. This issue is putting people's lives in danger and should be addressed immediately. I contacted the used car dealership where I purchased the car(waldorf Ford & Dodge used car center) and spoke to a service manager named drew. I explained to him the issue and what happened that day, and he said there would be a charge of $116 just to look at the car at the dealership, he never told me there was any kind of investigation regarding this issue and acted as if he knew nothing about this "recall in process".

- Indian Head, MD, USA

Feb 152013

Taurus 6-cyl

Gas pedal sticks when starting car. Very stiff until you tap several times. Seems to be getting progressively worse.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Mar 072013

Taurus 6-cyl

While drive down the street approx 25mph the engine started to rev up and the car accelerated. Even when I tried to brake the car wanted to continue to drive. I tried stomping on the gas pedal, but if didn't have any affect. I pulled off the road shut off the car and restarted the problem did not happen again.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 022012

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the RPM increased excessively and the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but the failure could not be replicated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000 and the current mileage 78,000.

- Hales Corners, WI, USA

Nov 152012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact depressed the brake pedal but the vehicle continued to accelerate. After placing the gear in neutral, the RPM reading increased. The contact shutdown then restarted the vehicle and was able to drive without failure. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the throttle cable seized causing the acceleration. The failure occurred three different times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the throttle body would have to be cleaned. After the repair the failure recurred. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal which stopped the sudden acceleration. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,100.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 022013

Taurus 6-cyl

As I was coming up the hill near my apartment at 30 mph on Saturday, March 2, 2013, my vehicle suddenly accelerated as I reached the top of the hill. I immediately began to brake but the car was still pushing forward. I was able to park, but the car was still trying to move forward. I applied the emergency break. Suddenly, my rpms shot up to around 6000. I cut the car off. When I turned it on thirty minutes later (still in park), the rpms shot up again. I checked this morning and it was no longer doing this, but I am hesitant to get behind the wheel of this car right now.

- Roanoke, VA, USA