2006 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Taurus:

2006 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Feb 152013

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the engine rpms increased excessively and the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact had to depress the brake pedal with extreme force and shift into neutral in order to regain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 105,000 and the current mileage was 105,593. Updated 04/30/13 the consumer stated the vehicle would accelerate at any given time. Sometimes, when putting the vehicle in park or neutral, the engine would return to normal.

- Franklin Furnace, OH, USA

Feb 132013

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving and my accelerator got stuck. I was only going 10 mph but it kept going when I hit the brakes. I placed the car in park and about an hour later I tried to drive home. It happened less than five minutes later. The engine revved up, the accelerator was to the floor. I hit the brakes, the emergency brake, and put the car in park and cut off the car. The accelerator was visibly to the floor. I was terrified but thankful I never made it on the highway.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Dec 032012

Taurus

I bought a Ford Taurus on December 3 got it home and put it in park and it was like the accelerator was stuck. Have had it in shop numerous times. It does this going down the road at times and is unpredictable. It is very hard to apply the brake to stop it and I have to romp on the gas and then hit the brakes. My cruise control in my care does not work and have read that it maybe part of the problem.

- Mcalester, OK, USA

Oct 252012

Taurus 6-cyl

Last fall I was driving on the interstate about 45 miles. When I reached the city I was visiting I got off interstate and came to red light. Vehicle engine started revving. I had to keep foot on brake to prevent rearending car in front of me. My car continued to do this while in traffic. I got home ok and didn't have a problem again until I drove it on the interstate again. The problem seemed to stop for a month or two until my husband was driving in December 2012 and he tried to use the cruise control and it would not work. When we got to the city off the interstate the car began the acceleration again while in bumper to bumper traffic. It happened once again to me two weeks ago and last week the check engine light has come on. The car seems to drive ok until we drive it at interstate speeds for a period of time and then slow down. I am afraid this is going to cause an accident.

- Dickson, TN, USA

Jan 062013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact was able to decelerate by shifting into neutral. The contact also stated that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was confirmed that there may have been a problem with the on-board computer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 144,000.

- Dunlup, MD, USA

Nov 142012

Taurus 6-cyl

Beginning a few months ago (November 2012), my 2006 Ford Taurus has had a couple times when the vehicle will accelerate without pushing on the gas pedal. These few incidents have corresponded with my cruise control stopping to work. I notice them at lower speeds, but I cannot rule out the same issue at higher speeds because braking is harder at these speeds. The last incident was December 31, 2012 at 9:32 pm. The vehicle was traveling at 25 mph. I noticed it was hard to stop and the RPM's were not slowing down when I broke. I then had to pull over to the side of the road and put the vehicle in park. At that moment the rpms increased to 4,000 and I turned the car off. I started the car again in park and it did the same thing. The third restart, it began to increase, but when I pumped the pedal the increase stopped and it returned to normal idle RPM. Upon searching google for this issue, I saw multiple reports on the NHTSA's investigation in March 2012. As a result, I am submitting this claim. The descriptions resulting in this investigation sounded exactly like my issue.

- Mankato, MN, USA

Jan 012013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact had to apply intense pressure to the brakes in order to stop the vehicle from accelerating any further. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but the failure could not be replicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 105,000.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 012012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while breaking the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was able to be slowed by using excessive braking force. The vehicle was able to be driven to private mechanic who in turn took it to a dealer where it was confirmed that the accelerator had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 205,000 and the current mileage was 210,000. The VIN was not available.

- Piedmont, OK, USA

Oct 142012

Taurus 6-cyl

Traveling at about 30 mph on a drizzly road my 06 Ford Taurus SE brakes were applied and the Taurus slowed down a little but then hydroplaned/slid into the rear of a Grand Prix. Airbags deployed as the Taurus hit the Grand Prix. Taurus engine was still on and the driver moved it to the side of road and shut off. After leaving Taurus for a minute to check for condition of other Grand Prix driver, Taurus driver returned to Taurus to see right rear seat on fire. The tires were a year old and the brakes had recently been maintained by a local Ford dealer. About 1/4 tank of fuel was in the Taurus. This model year Taurus is a popular used car.

- Redford, MI, USA

Oct 132012

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that his son was traveling approximately 20-30 mph when the accelerator pedal became stuck in open throttle. The driver was able to stop the vehicle by depressing on the brakes extremely hard. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer had not been contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 65,000. Updated 11/29/12 the consumer stated the cable became detached from the accelerator. Updated 11/29/12

- Marietta, OH, USA

Oct 122012

Taurus 6-cyl

I came to a light and as I tried to brake the engine revved to 4000 RPM. I could barely stop at the light. At first I was confused and thought my brakes were bad, but when I let the brake go, the car lurched forward and when I came around the corner I let my foot off the accelerator and it took off on its own, as I got to 30 mph, I started to brake and the engine went to 5000 RPM. I tried my hardest to brake and the car wouldn't completely stop. The engine revved even higher and I turned off the car as I almost hit a curb at a turn and ended up blocking a hospital entrance. I thought I was going to die.

- Plano, TX, USA

Oct 072012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal became stuck while it was depressed causing the vehicle to suddenly accelerate and the cruise control to fail. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 67,000 and the current mileage was 68,000.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

Sep 242012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated without any warnings. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 73,000.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Feb 082012

Taurus 6-cyl

During the last year, I have experienced my car speeding up on it's own. It feels like something is pushing on the accelerator. My rpms will go past 3. I have to brake hard to keep from crashing. These events are happening more often, without any type of warning. It is very scary and dangerous. Please investigate possible causes.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Aug 232012

Taurus

I was driving home from work one day and noticed the car wasn't running right, I could tell there was something wrong. I noticed when I would use my brake the car acted like it didn't want to slow down or stop and once I left off the brake the car accelerated by itself so I began to check the cruise control buttons to make sure they were off but then realized my husband tried to use the cruise control a few months earlier and couldn't get it to work. So I shifted into neutral and the engine went up past 4000 RPM's so I quickly shifted back into drive. Once I finally got it home and put it in park the engine went up past 4000 RPM's again so I quickly shut off the engine. My husband examined the engine and assumed the problem was an idling sensor so we purchased one at a local auto parts store. He changed the part but this did not fix the problem so we have now parked the car until we can find out what's wrong with it.

- West Liberty, KY, USA

Jun 082012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact was driving approximately 50 mph with the cruise control activated, the brake pedal was engaged repeatedly and the vehicle continued to accelerate. The engine was turned off upon reaching a stop sign however the failure recurred after the vehicle was restarted the dealer was notified of the malfunction whom stated that the cruise control needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Spring Valley , MN, USA

May 062012

Taurus

On May 6, 2012, while driving at highway speeds, I could feel my 2006 Ford Taurus SE accelerating despite my foot not pressing the accelerator, nor the cruise control being engaged. As I pressed the brakes, the car continued to accelerate, with RPM reaching 3000 to 4000. After exiting the highway and placing the vehicle in park, the engine continued to accelerate. In order to stop this rapid acceleration in RPM, I turned off the engine. Upon restarting, the engine immediately revved to over 3000 RPM. If I shifted the vehicle into neutral, the engine would rev to 4000 RPM then drop down to 1000 RPM. This sudden, rapid, acceleration continued to randomly occur as I drove to my destination. I took my vehicle to a Ford dealer for repairs, as I was not near my place of residence. They replaced the idle air control valve. However, as I was driving home from work on August 12,2012, at a speed between 35-40 mph, my Taurus began to accelerate again on its own. I immediately shifted the car into neutral and the RPM went to 4000 and dropped down to 1000. I then shifted the vehicle back to the drive position, and the engine idled fine the rest of my trip home. The best way to describe the rapid acceleration is similar to when using the cruise control. If the cruise control is turned on and you decide to "coast", the engine slows down. But when you press the "resume" button on the cruise control, you can feel the engine pull and the car begin accelerating. This is what it felt like while driving. However, I had not been using the cruise control in either of the aforementioned situations. My mother, my newborn daughter, myself or other motorists could have been killed during this uncontrolled increased acceleration.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Aug 052012

Taurus 6-cyl

Set speed control and went to shut it off the exit highway and it would not slow down cruise became stuck even thou the unit was shut off and the light indicating cruise was active shut off this took place 4 times that day.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 252012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward and accelerated constantly. The brake was depressed, but the vehicle continued to accelerate. The engine warning light also illuminated at all times prior to the failure. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were notified. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Port St Lucie , FL, USA

Jul 152012

Taurus 6-cyl

While merging on the highway, the engine started to rev, and speed dropped. We had to pull to the side of the road to avoid on coming traffic to avoid an accident.

- Sanderson, FM, USA