2007 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Taurus:

2007 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 162016

Sudden acceleration on city streets without touching the gas pedal. Engine running at 4rpm at a complete standstill and while moving. Even when the brake was engaged the car kept lurching forward wanting to proceed through the red light.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Feb 012016

While driving experienced sudden unexplained acceleration on several different occasions.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jun 252015

Car accelerator got stuck at about 4,000 rpms. It would not dislodge until car was forced to stop by maxing pressure on brakes and putting car into 'park'. research shows that the cruise control cable gets worn and disconnects from the throttle body and can get stuck on the throttle cable disallowing the throttle to return to idle position. This VIN is not subject to any open recalls but the condition is very dangerous.

- Champlin, MN, USA

Feb 042015

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated without any warning. The contact was able to slow the vehicle down by using the brakes. However, the engine RPM's continued to surge. The contact stated that the failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was 149,000. The VIN was not available.

- Neslonville, OH, USA

Oct 092013

Taurus 6-cyl

Driving my 2007 Ford Taurus on the freeway at 60 mph and sudden acceleration making car go 75 mph without pressing the accelerator more then I was. I tried to pull the accelerator back with my right foot with my left foot on the brake to be safe and that did nothing to solve the problem the car still wanted to accelerate. So I pulled over on the freeway and put the car in park and the RPM went high as if I was pressing on the accelerator. It was very hard to stop the car because as I was pressing on the brake to pull over the accelerator felt as if the gas pedal was pressed all the way down while braking.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Aug 222014

Taurus 6-cyl

Paid for a 100,000 mile tune up, new front brakes, etc. One day later it suddenly surged forward right as I was pulling into my driveway. I came close to driving through the closed garage door. Hit the brake hard and the RPM's shot up. I turned off the engine while in park. My husband started the car while in park and the RPM's shot up again. Eventually, he pressed the gas pedal and the RPM's dropped. Earlier that same week, I had to swerve to avoid hitting a car in front of me while driving down hill. I assumed that my brakes were beginning to fail, but now I am wonder *tring if this same problem caused my car to surge forward even though I was trying to slow down.

- Reno, NV, USA

Aug 232014

Taurus 6-cyl

Traveling at 60 mph, had to slow down for a slower vehicle but the car did not slow down when I removed my foot from gas pedal. I brake and slowed the car, but had to ride the brake as the car tried to accelerate. When we encountered a stop light, the brakes almost could not hold the car back. I put the car in park and revved the engine twice and the car idle speed dropped from 4000+ RPM back to normal. This happened several times on the trip home. I did a quick google search for this problem and found earlier Taurus models with similar problems had recalled for defective cruise control cable. I looked at my car's cruise control actuator cable and found it's connector had slipped off the throttle connection point. I now have a temporary fix to keep it from interfering with the throttle. This could have caused an accident and hurt somebody.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Jul 312014

Taurus 6-cyl

Driving the car it starting revving and rpms increasing. Parked turned car off waited a few minutes started car up and engine was racing hard. Pulled out of parking space went to the stop light could barely keep the car stopped with my foot pressed vary hard to keep the car from jolting into incoming traffic. Light turned, took my foot off the brake the car raced from a stopped position to 56 miles and hour with a 2 1/2 block distance and I never put my foot on the gas.. had to ride 15 miles into town to the car repair shop riding the brake the whole time to keep the car under a 30 mph speed. Again numerous report of the clip coming off on the cruise control causing car to race. Replace the clip back on because it is not broke and in 2-3 days the clip comes off again. I can not afford to have this car jolt me or my family into an incoming train or traffic and kill us because Ford does not want to fix the problem cause T may be to costly.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Aug 092014

Taurus 6-cyl

Car began to accelerate and had to ride brakes to keep from speeding and to stay under speed limit. Got home and turned off and waited 15 minutes and still engine racing. Waited another 30 minutes still same. Looked on line and saw same problem posted by someone and they tapped gas pedal to get to stop. Tried it and it worked but have a call into Ford dealership to make an appointment to bring in.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jul 212014

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the vehicle surged forward and the engine rpms revved up. The vehicle could be restarted but the failure persisted. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the cruise control cable clip needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 95,787. Updated 9/3/14

- Crown Point, IN, USA

May 302014

Taurus 6-cyl

I have had at least 9 of the following incidents; I first noticed cruise control stopped working approximately in March, after that intermittently while driving at different speeds my gas pedal would feel like it was stuck down, RPM's went up to 4000-6000, car sped up and one time the breaks did fail until I threw car into park at 60 mph. Usually I have to step on gas a few times to fix it, took it to mechanic and he could not find the problem. It is happening in a greater frequency now. It is getting extremely dangerous for me to keep driving the car. I noticed when that happens my dashboard goes from 23.7 miles per gallon to at one point it said 7, then increased to 34 mpg. When it dropped down to 7 mpg my car kept stalling and would start and stall until I let it sit over night.

- Ephrata, PA, USA

Jun 062014

Taurus 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Taurus SE with about 90,000 miles. The cruise control stopped working last week and I turned it off. On at least four occasions in the last week, since then I have had unexpected, uncontrolled acceleration while driving that could easily resulted in an accident. When the acceleration happened, I got the car off the road stepped on the brake as hard as I could, the car ran up to 3to 4000 RPM before I could shift to neutral and turn off the ignition after the incident yesterday afternoon ; I took the car in to eckenrod Ford in cullman, Alabama. They gave me a loaner car while they are fixing mine. I see that you have had several complaints of the same thing happening in this year and model and recommend a recall or at least a service bulletin, to deal with this problem. In researching this problem a lose cruise control cable may be causing this problem. The problem is dangerous and disconcerting and should be addressed.

- Hanceville, AL, USA

Apr 272014

Taurus 6-cyl

On two occasions I was traveling approx. 60 mph on the freeway when my car suddenly accelerated to 80 mph. The first time I took my foot off the gas and the car slowed to at 50 mph and continued that way for a couple minutes, then returned to normal. The second time I had to push the brake pedal very hard with both feet to make it slow down. I was able to get off the freeway, but there was I red light and I slid through the light trying to stop my car. I was fortunate no other car was coming. I put the car in neutral, and there was a very hard kick and the RPM's where still very high. Then it just stopped racing and went back to normal.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Apr 302013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that after stopping the vehicle and shifting into park, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and traveled over the sidewalk until crashing into a sign. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 69,000.

- Cushing, OK, USA

Apr 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while he approached an intersection and started to decelerate with the brakes applied, the vehicle accelerated to 60 mph. As the vehicle continued to accelerate, the contact was able to turn into an opened area, shift into park and turn the engine off. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who performed an inspection and advised that the cruise control linkage had become stuck. The cruise control was disconnected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Hanover , MA, USA

Jun 292013

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the cruise control command was turned on and the vehicle accelerated and would not stop or come out of cruise control until the contact shifted into park and turned the vehicle off. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic stated that the cruise control cable, throttle cable and the throttle body had to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 101,684...updated 11-14-13 the consumer stated the vehicle continued to accelerate even in park. The cruise control would not turn off. When the consumer started the vehicle, it accelerated at a high rate of speed. She pushed the accelerator pedal all the way down, fast and it went to normal idle. The vehicle accelerated on its own on two prior occasions.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Jun 052013

Taurus 6-cyl

Important to note is that a week before the first incident the cruise control stopped working in that it would turn on but I could not set a speed anymore. I decided I would have that fixed at my next scheduled servicing. After a week when driving at about 40mph the car continued to accelerate after I released the throttle, the cruise control was not turned on it was still broken. Braking a little to stop the forward momentum and tapping the throttle resolved the issue at least temporarily. At the time I thought it must be the mat snagging it. However, only a few days later the throttle got stuck again. Again at about 40mph the car continued to accelerate even after releasing the throttle. Since tapping the throttle didn't work immediately I shifted the car into neutral and the engine was raging at 4000 RPM in neutral. This was a very dangerous situation since I was approaching a busy intersection when this happened. With the car in neutral I could stop, then I slammed the throttle a couple of times and it released. I took the car to the dealership the next day and they replaced the cruise control assembly, which fixed the problem. Doing some research online showed that for certain makes, when the cruise control cable get loose and moves around a little it can interfere with the throttle, which I believe is a serious problem that Ford should address.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 062012

Taurus 6-cyl

When wet or really cold outside, gas pedal sticks and you push hard on it and it eventually goes but shoots you out into traffic or faster then you want it to go. Right after you put into drive or if you stop at a stop light or sign. You can stop, but then can't get it to go. Scary cause if you are in stop and go traffic and it sticks makes you shoot fast so you have to really stay back and then cars cut in front and it happens. Almost rear ended a car several different occasions.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Apr 062013

While driving 25 mph took foot off gas to slow down and car accelerated on its own. Tapping on gas would slow it down but didn't stop it. Pulled in parking lot and put vehicle in park. RPM's raced to over 3000 without me having foot on gas. Turned off and started up and rpms still racing. While in parking lot attempted to drive and vehicle would go without my foot on gas. Took to dealer on Monday and happened on way but of course nothing when got to dealer. On 4/22/13 happened again while driving 35 mph could feel the gas pedal engage and car accelerated on own. Again pulled in parking lot and put in park. Rpms accelerated. Turned on and off this lasted for 15 minutes. Then could feel the gas pedal disengage. About 1 hour later happened again while driving. Was in drive through lane and even though foot on brake you could feel car try to push against it. Had passenger in car with me who could experience it as well. I feel very unsafe in this car and disappointed that Ford dealer says they know of no fix for this problem even though its been reported for years.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Apr 192013

Taurus 6-cyl

Cruise control stopped working - checked cable at throttle and it had come unattached-reattached cable and all was fine for a day. Then car started to hold speed when cruise control was not on. When braking, felt like gas pedal was still engaged. Put car into neutral and rpms went up. Tapped gas pedal and all returned to normal. Put car back into drive and it was fine again for a few minutes, then same problem happened again. Car will hold rpms as if gas pedal is still engaged even when my foot is no longer on the gas. Have to depress gas pedal hard and fast to get it to disengage again. Beginning to happen more regularly. Have to put the vehicle in neutral often to come to a safe stop. Cruise control cable keeps detaching from its housing and makes the throttle stick partially open.

- Omaha, NE, USA