2010 Ford Taurus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Taurus:

2010 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

May 032016

Taurus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Taurus. While driving 85 mph, the vehicle force downshifted and caused the front end of the vehicle to contact the ground. The rear end of the vehicle lifted off the ground. The contact coasted to the right shoulder and placed the vehicle in drive, but the vehicle would not move. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 71,200.

- Byron Center, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Taurus

Oil in ptu unit on AWD 2010 Ford Taurus sho vehicle gets overworked and over expands and leaks out of the top of the vent cap. The oil drips down onto the exhaust and burns off. The burning oil fumes are then sucked into the cabin via the HVAC system. The only way to keep the fumes from entering the vehicle cabin is to have the HVAC on recirculate. Ford claims that the ptu has a lifetime oil in it and that it should only be replaced if contaminated. Many consumers are reporting that they are pumping the oil out and replacing it with fresh oil in 25K to 35K intervals. My vehicle has 100,000 miles on it and 1 ptu was replaced under warranty for this issue and the replacement ptu is exhibiting the same issues as before when the 1st ptu failed. The inhalation hazard of burning oil fumes needs to be addressed by the manufacturer as it poses a serious health risk to occupants in the vehicle.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Oct 302014

Taurus

I bought this car used but after researhing the VIN I found that the previous owner had the same issues I am having. The car while driving will lose power and the tach will show a RPM drop in some cases of almost 1000 RPM. The car will lose power and at times and the tach will show the RPM jumping all over the place like the computer doesn't know what to do. Once I take my foot off the accelerator and put it back the car will start to act ok but at times I will hear a clunk from the under the car, the transmission going into gear. These issues occur at various speeds, from city driving to highway. Ford doesn't seem to be able to fix this as well as carmax.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 082014

Taurus

Huge issue with transmission. Bucking, transmission slipping. Should not be happening so early in a vehicle. Ford recommends transmission service at 150K, why am I having a problem?

- Berwick , ME, USA

Oct 012012

Taurus

This is a recurring, intermittent problem. Usually at slow speed the car looses power, then slips into neutral, then after a few seconds, bangs harshly into gear. Tsb # 11 9 11 was performed November of 2012 which improved symptoms but problem still lingers. Ford will not do further repairs till the problem can be reproduced. I have so far failed to reproduce it on demand and the costs for each attempt to reproduce are my responsibility. In traffic the loss of power and transmission disengaging coupled with a harsh re-engagement is frightening and has a potential for contributing to an accident. A friend in mo, with the same type of car had the same symptoms and was lucky enough to have them reproduced for service techs. His name and car's VIN are withheld here for security. Pundman Ford in St. Charles mo recently replaced 2 sensors on the transmission to completely correct the problem. My problem is a known problem and should be fixed by Ford without the burden of reproduction based on my cars symptoms. I feel like Ford is sweeping my problem under the rug and hoping it will go away by ignoring it.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Aug 072014

Taurus 6-cyl

I pulled up to my daughters house, put the car in park and exited the vehicle. I knocked on the door and crossed back in front of the vehicle at which time it drove forward almost hitting me then hitting the house. The shifter was still in park.

- Youngstown, FL, USA

Jun 092014

Taurus 6-cyl

After reversing out of sparking spot in a shopping center I put the car in drive. The car immediately began accelerating at full speed. I had both feet on the brakes but the car speed kept increasing. I put the shift lever in neutral and the engine seemed like it was going to blow up. I put the car back in drive to prevent engine damage. After approx two (2) seconds the engine speed returned to a normal idle speed and I was able to get the car stopped. I immediately took the car to germain Ford at 7250 sawmill road, columbus Ohio. They had the car for approximately 6 hours but could not find any stored faults in the onboard computer/diagnostics system and were unable to reproduce the problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 042011

Taurus 6-cyl

This is the twin turbo V6 ecoboost engine. This vehicle has had several transmission issues dating back to August 2011. First issue: Car stumbled upon accelerating from a dead stop. Particularly unsafe when turning into traffic. One potentially serious event was a right turn I made from a stop light and the car came to a crawl. After having the car for more than a week, Ford "fixed" the problem but it recurred a month later. Next incident(s): Transmission lunges and came out of gear and revved up. Again, Ford had the car for about 10 days. That was September 2011. October 18, 2011: Car lost power on freeway and ran very rough. Car towed into Ford. The had to replace coils, plugs, and PCM. 9/14/2012: Sunroof failed and would not close. Problem fixed under warranty. 8/16/2013: Delivered the car to Ford because the transmission acting up once again. This time when I press the accelerator the car stalls very briefly but then catches and accelerates forward quickly. This is a liability concern. On the freeway, when I press the gas to accelerate to pass a car, the car coasts before catching. Ford still has the vehicle and is telling me that they don't see an issue with their drive tests but have a call into Ford to see how to proceed. I'm very concerned.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Feb 102010

Taurus 6-cyl

I've complained to multiple service dealers that my car almost stalls while leaving a dead stop and also hesitates at highway speeds. I'm afraid to drive it out of state for fear of an incident because of the engine/transmission behavior. One dealer service transmission specialist ordered a part and installed it, but, the problems still exist!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 082010

Taurus 6-cyl

Soon after I got my new 2010 Ford Taurus in March of 2010, it came to a complete stop as I was driving with my sister (mileage under 1,000 miles). I called the Ford dealership and they said to try it again - the car ran well, so I forgot about the incident. In April 2012, I again lost power suddenly and completely while driving. I put on the emergency lights, left the car in the middle of my road where it had stopped, and called aaa to tow it back to the dealership. Service replaced the throttle body, and said they found nothing that could cause the car to stall. Twice again, the car stopped as I was driving it and each time Ford service could find nothing wrong. The last incident left me shaken as I was stuck across my road, exposed to two-way traffic. After the last incident Ford examined the car for several days, drove it hundreds of miles and said they could not duplicate the problem. They referred me to Ford motor. Ford wanted a second opinion from another dealership. Of course the second opinion said all was fine, and they could not duplicate the intermittent problem. Ford Motor Company declined my request for a replacement car and for a loaner. I took the car back to the Ford and left it there. Ford absolutely knows the dangers of this car, they are well documented in my complaint history and in various complaint venues on the internet and they are stone walling very effectively. The fact is that Ford itself has issued several technical service bulletins talking about...if there is an intermittent lack of power¿¿. I was ¿¿intermittently put in danger four times. Ford tells me they will auction the car, full well knowing of the risks. This car VIN is dangerous and should be never be on the road again to compromise passenger and driver safety.

- Chappaqua, NY, USA

Feb 282010

Taurus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle shifted into a lower gear independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer thirteen times for diagnostic testing however, the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The technician replaced the throttle body but the failure continued after the repair. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50.

- Deridder, LA, USA

Dec 312010

Taurus 6-cyl

Acceleration stalls from 0-5 mph then is followed by a harsh bump on take-off this car is very dangerous it will stall upon down shifting while merging into traffic for as long as 6 seconds. This causes traffic behind me to take avoidance maneuvers. When passing it will do the same thing taking 3 to 6 seconds to start accelerating. When I pull out to pass it falls back a full car length before it makes up its mind to accelerate. Very dangerous, it will do this at 30 mph through 70 mph.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Dec 292011

Taurus

While driving at speeds below 40 mph, my transmission would shutter, today my vehicle was going through a intersection when I tried to use the gas through the intersection the vehicle would not move or speed up, I then shifted to manual mode to cross the intersection. Indicator light on the speedometer stated cross traffic system failure.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Feb 012011

Taurus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Taurus. The contact stated the vehicle interior lights, headlights, turn signals and the instrumental panel lights would flicker on and off. The gear shifter could not be shifted out of park when the light failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic that located the failure at the vehicle computer. The was unaware of what caused the computer to fail. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 12,000 and the current mileage was 20,000.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jul 012011

Taurus

Transmission randomly slips upon acceleration from a complete stop. Transmission clunks. Car lunges. Loses power. Rpms increase. This will last for several seconds, then correct itself. This has happened multiple times. Since this has started happening, it has also been noted that the car consistently downshifts through all gears with a slight hesitation and jerk. Also noting a "miss" while driving. Dealer unable to recreate problem. Refuses to fix. Fearful of accidents when pulling into traffic.

- St Francis, MN, USA

Dec 292010

Taurus 6-cyl

2010 Ford Taurus sho has a problem with the transmission not being in first gear after a stop. One to two second hesitation and then clunks into gear and I am able to take off. This happens approximately twice a month. The dealer has not been able to duplicate. The car also has an issue with breaking and steering. Three instances have occurred where the car pulls hard to the right upon a hard stop. Dealer was not able to duplicate. Hence no fix. All occurred before 3000 miles.

- Grosse Pointe , MI, USA

Dec 062010

Taurus

When using the manual shift mode accelerating from a stop sign, the transmission would not shift from first to second gear. I tried several times to shift the car manually without success. After the last attempt there was an incredibly loud 'thump' from the transmission. Loud enough I thought the transmission fell out of the car. I shifted to neutral, paused (while coasting), put the car into drive where it then shifted into second gear. All of this happened while the car was in motion. This is the second time I've had an issue with the transmission in manual mode. Both times happened when shifting from first to second gear. I took the car into my Ford dealer for inspection the next business day, they stated there could not find any problems. Both times were a routine acceleration which happened about 5 to 10 miles into my trip. I was not 'pushing' the car in any way.

- Hamburg, MI, USA

Jul 292010

Taurus

The 2010 Ford Taurus loses power and the vehicle shuts off at speeds within and excess of 65 mph. When the defect occurs, the engine turns off, the throttle is deactivated, the center stack console is deactivated and the message center in the vehicle's cluster tells the driver to put the vehicle in park. The driver must then place the vehicle in park in order to start the vehicle once again. This issue has occurred twice within 45 days. For the first occurrence, the vehicle was provided to the Ford dealership where it was purchased to perform a root cause analysis. No issue was found and the vehicle was returned to the owner. The defect occurred once again on July 29, 2010 and the Ford dealership has been contacted to pick up the vehicle once a loaner vehicle can be obtained. No physical change or improvement has been made to address this issue at this time and Ford field service engineering has not been involved or notified.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jul 072010

Taurus

My 2010 Ford Taurus lost power on highway and wrench light came on, took into the shop this vehicle only has 4300 miles and needs a throttle assembly replacement already.

- Eglin Afb, FL, USA