1.7

2008 Ford Taurus X electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Taurus X:

2008 Ford Taurus X Owner Comments

Apr 072016

Taurus X

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus X. while driving at any speed, all of the warning lights illuminated and the acceleration failed. When the battery was disconnected and reconnected, the failure went away for approximately two months. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was an issue with the transmission sensors. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 153,000.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Oct 142015

Taurus X

We are original owners on a 2008 Ford Taurus X with 143000 miles on it. The transmission has been shuttering and shifting roughly for the past 30000 miles or so. Recently my wife was driving at low speed when several warning lights on the dash went off, the miles until empty reading dropped to 0 (3/4 tank of gas remained), and the vehicle would rev but only go 2-3 mph. I entered some of these symptoms into google and found many message board enteries referencing this issue. What concerns me is Ford does not to appear to fix the issue short of replacing the transmission ($4000).

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 122013

Taurus X 6-cyl

Vehicle had been parked and turned off for at least 4 hours. A fire was reported to my son who borrowed it for work. He used a fire extinguisher until the local fire department arrived. The fd disconnected the battery and put out the remaining fire. In their report stated the fire was electrical and started under the front dash. The middle to the passenger side of the dash is complete destroyed and melted. Local Ford dealer, byerly Ford estimated $4600 of damage. Also stated that the fire was too intense and cause so much heat damage that a cause could not be determined. Submitted claim to Ford Motor Company and was informed there was no manufacturer or design issue and would not proceed with any action. Car was serviced regularly and had no mechanical issues.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 112013

Taurus X 6-cyl

Backing out of driveway- I noticed that steering column was not locked prior to inserting key. Inserted key, turned to start and no response from ignition. Kept turning steering column and decided to engage transmission from park to drive several times. I returned to park-ing the car and removed the key. Initially, steering column was not locked, then I turned the steering wheel several times and then the column locked. Turned the key and the ignition hesitated- the dials were jumping. After several seconds the engine turned over and dials went to normal. I commenced to back out of driveway- the engine RPM jumped, far more then what I was applying acceleration for and the transmission was hesitant ( clunking was audible). The vehicle reversed too rapidly and I applied quite a bit of brake to stop- I shifted to drive and again I could hear the transmission. The car hesitated to go forward ( transmission was clunking), jerking forward and slowing down and the engine RPM was erratic. I pulled to the side and placed car in neutral; waited a minute which during this time, the vehicle RPM went to normal. Ok, I placed gear in drive and vehicle responded normally. Have had several instances of some of the above described events happening since original occurrence. At this moment, steering column is not locked with the key removed and when turning car to start the ignition is just turning over.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 232011

Taurus X 6-cyl

The vehicle was traveling at 70 mph with cruise control on, in heavy traffic. I tapped the brake pedal to release the cruise control and the vehicle lost all electrical power and stalled in the right hand lane of the interstate. Several commercial vehicles had to make a sudden stop to avoid a collision. The vehicle had to be pushed off the interstate. The local Ford dealership performed a standard computer diagnostic test and informed us that the computer was unable to locate a reason for this complete loss of power. We contacted the Ford customer service division and were advised to continue operating the vehicle until the problem recurred. In the event of another loss of power we were advised to have the vehicle towed to a dealership so the problem could be investigated.

- Jericho, VT, USA

Dec 012010

Taurus X

My car lost power while driving and stalled in traffic. My mechanic had it for two weeks and tested repeatedly and could not find a reason and could not make the event reoccur. I drive in a rural area with young children.

- Susquehanna, PA, USA