2008 Ford Taurus X steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Taurus X:

2008 Ford Taurus X Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012016

Taurus X

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus X. while driving 70 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced due to a hose within the steering column prematurely deteriorating without warning. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Niles, MI, USA

May 262016

Taurus X

Steering wheel always been like I needed a wheel alignment and balancing but then got tires checked out ok then steering wheel got hard to turn to the left and found out the rack and pinion very dangerous because I was driving home and tried to turn left and almost broke my wrist

- St Louis, MO, USA

Dec 292014

Taurus X 6-cyl

2008 Ford Taurus X. consumer writes in regards to vehicle steering locking up. Consumer sent additional correspondence. The consumer stated the steering wheel would not turn at times, when merging into traffic or pulling out of a parking space. The dealer replaced the steering pump and rack and pinion.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Oct 162015

Taurus X

When turning from either a parked or stopped position the steering feels as though it is stuck in whatever direction I am steering and I have to help the steering go back into a straight position this I feel is a huge safety issue because I not only drive this vehicle back and forth to work I also have children that ride in it as well. Needs to be addressed and fixed at the manufacturers expense if not and there is an accident that results in a fatality there is a huge lawsuit coming your way Ford

- Vinita, OK, USA

Aug 142015

Taurus X

Experienced intermittent "shudder" in steering system when cornering and/or maneuvering into parking spaces; this condition progressively got worse and finally, there was a sudden total loss of power assist to the steering system almost resulting in loss of control of the vehicle. Noticed large puddle of atf/power steering fluid under vehicle when parked. Upon inspection, discovered that power steering reservoir was empty and the steering rack housing had leaking seal where main steering shaft entered housing leading to catastrophic failure of the steering rack assembly. This is the second time the steering rack catastrophically failed on this vehicle (see: NHTSA id number: 10468922; date complaint filed: 08/02/2012; date of incident: 07/30/2012; component(s): Steering). Brought vehicle in to Ford dealer (brondes Ford, maumee, oh) for service. Entire steering rack assembly was replaced again at a cost exceeding $1,000. Ford should be required to recall this vehicle for steering rack due to the numbers of complaints on the NHTSA site alone due to the very nature of this failure - anything steering/suspension/brake-related should be subject for immediate consideration for recall.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Dec 082014

Taurus X

As I was out running errands and backing in to park my 2008 Ford Taurus X, it became very difficult to turn the steering wheel in either direction. The steering was very stiff and required a good bit of effort. I immediately called the dealership repair shop and was instructed to bring in the car for evaluation. Ford determined that I needed to replace the steering column (rack & pinion) as well as the power steering pump & reservoir. Prior to the initial complete power steering failure in December of 2014, I had complained to Ford numerous times about the steering and had had the rack & pinion unit & power steering pumps replaced (at 100268 miles) in February of 2013! in December 2014 they quoted an astronomical price to again repair my car, at which point, I took it elsewhere and ordered the parts on-line. Fast forward 6-months later (June 8, 2015) and my steering has again failed with the same issue - power steering failure. The parts are still under warranty and the repair shop has replaced the pump - which they stated was not working at all, but my steering is still not functioning. This is the third time I'm making this repair, clearly it's a symptom and not the real issue. When is Ford going to address this problem?!

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

May 262015

Taurus X

When trying to make a ninety degree turn right or left into a parking space or pulling out while making a turn, I lose power steering and only have manual steering. I almost hit a car or the corner of the road/building as using all my strength, I cannot make a sharp turn. I have to back up and make wide turns. I am not driving this car much as afraid I will lose steering at a higher speed. It has become very difficult to pull into a parking lot to park at slow speeds as I completely lose the power assisted power steering and I have trouble steering in manual mode--can barely turn the wheel using all my strength at 1 mile per hour. I learned that Ford has recalled thousands of cars for this recently and online blogs show there have been complaints about the power steering for this model.

- Barboursville, WV, USA

May 212015

Taurus X

While driving approximately 35 miles an hour I lost my power steering. My vehicle steers very hard and is extremely hard while trying to park car. Right turns are harder than left turns. The vehicle is hard to maneuver around sharp turns and corners. Mechanic diagnosed it as a bad rack and pinion (steering gear) and is a safety hazard concern.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Mar 152015

Taurus X 6-cyl

While driving on a secondary road the vehicle's power steering system stopped working making it very difficult to maintain control. After getting the car off the road I shut off the engine and checked the power steering belts and fluid. Both were fine. When I restarted the vehicle the steering seemed to be working properly again so I drove home. The steering worked fine until about a block from my house when it failed again.

- Rochester , MN, USA

Nov 072013

Taurus X

The steering effort became very great in making turning right from a standstill. It requires intense effort when moving from a parked area. Steering is effected to a degree when at travel speed but less so in straight operation. All right turning is effected and requires tremendous effort. The same effect in either forward or reverse motion.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Sep 032014

Taurus X 6-cyl

It slowly got difficult to steer and got progressively worse

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Apr 162014

Taurus X 6-cyl

Driving the car, and lost the ability to turn the car left. I had to have the car towed and discovered the rack and pinion dear failed internally. Somehow a gasket became intertwined within steering column. Repairs totaled $860.91.

- Alexandria , VA, USA

Apr 072014

Taurus X

While backing and turning out of my driveway at speeds at or near 1 mph I noticed the steering was tight - as if the power steering no longer worked. After pulling out of the driveway and proceeding approximately 1 mile (speed limit less than 25 mph) to a stop sign, I was unable to make the left turn from a stopped position (had to back up and try again - fortunately no other cars in intersection). Moments later, still at speeds of 25 mph or less, the steering became hypersensitive while going around a bend in the road, causing me to not only enter the opposite lane, but to almost do a 360 degree turn (and off the pavement). I went home and had the car towed to Ford dealership. First, a failed steering rack was diagnosed, then a lower steering rod joint failure (not sure if only the latter or both since the car is still in the shop). Fortunately, neither I nor anyone else was injured - but the car was not controllable. Also fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty (4th time I needed it, but first safety issue). I read others have similar issues so I am reporting it.

- Prospect, CT, USA

Oct 142013

Taurus X

Was driving along parkway drive and try to turn into a side street and after making that turn the steering wheel got very tight I first taught that my rack and pinion went bad but there is no sign of leak or damage to any parts if it was one side I would have think I look over some thing and miss some thing but it is hard to steer both sides at any speed.

- East Orange, NJ, USA

Nov 052013

Taurus X 6-cyl

I was backing out of a parking space when I lost all power steering. Turning the wheel made a grinding noise and on the drive to the mechanic's garage some power came back, but it was much easier to turn left than right. My mechanic reported that he found a tsb from Ford on this issue detailing the exact problem I had and how to fix it (replace rack and pinion unit, replace steering pump, power steering fluid exchange - cost approx. $1600) Ford is aware of this problem. This is a safety issue. These vehicles should be investigated.

- Olney, MD, USA

Jun 072013

Taurus X 6-cyl

Scanned system no codes. Check P/S pump pressure output. Found a valve in rack that was stuck in one direction and not allowing pressure the other way. Replaced P/S rack and then reset alignment. Test drove to verify operation. Vehicle would turn left normal, but difficult to the right at slow speeds. No P/S fluid loss. Known issue found online with this year, make, and model.

- Cokato, MN, USA

May 272013

Taurus X 6-cyl

2008 Ford Taurus X -- power steering stopped working at low speeds and then would re-engage without notice creating significant potential for swerving due to unavoidable over-correction. The vehicle is especially difficult to turn left at low speeds, but all turning is difficult. The steering rack was replaced at substantial cost. Steering rack failure appears to be a common problem in 2008 Ford Taurus X vehicles, which creates a substantial safety risk for the public.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

Feb 282013

Taurus X 6-cyl

Car suddenly very difficult to turn to the left almost causing an accident. Dealer states steering rack failed and replacement.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Feb 012013

Taurus X 6-cyl

Car has a tendancy to drift right or left while traveling. More pronunced drift while stopping. Excessive tire wear. Dealer inspection indicates gears in gear box are loose and gear box needs replacing and vehicle needs alignment. Second set of front tires are worn down to wear bar after only 13,000 miles. Cost for gear box replacement and four wheel alignment is $900. Dealer stated no recalls or service bulletins for steering/gear problem.

- Saline3, MI, USA

Oct 042010

Taurus X 6-cyl

The Ford Taurus X sel fwd was purchased new in 2009. We have noticed steering noise since 85K miles approximately. Recently the car has stopped driving with power steering regularly at low speeds. Sometimes at higher speeds it will now also drop out and then resume, making driving extremely dangerous as you are steering hard with two hands when suddenly power steering cuts back in and you swerve as the wheel immediately begins to respond.

- Eureka, MO, USA