8.8

1. replace coil and spark plugs (21 reports)
  2. replace valve covers, coils and spark plugs (17 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit (2 reports)
  5. replace coil, cover and seal (2 reports)
  6. replaced coil #7, spark plug, & valve cover gasket (1 reports)
2002 Ford Thunderbird engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Thunderbird:

2002 Ford Thunderbird Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 142008

Thunderbird V8

I am so disgusted with Ford for not recalling this problem over the years I have had to replace coil at least 10 times with a total well in the $8000 range when I spoke to ford via phone they claim they have not heard of this problem before. Granted I love the car but with this same repair, different coils as well as the same, I could have bought a new car. I see per your site this is a common defect that Ford is IGNORING.

- , Pompano Beach, Florida, USA

Jun 162014

Thunderbird Limited 3.9L V8

Thomas here again, as I wrote earlier about my 2002 Thunderbird. If anyone has any information on a class action suit against Ford for these Thunderbird issues, please contact me at -- tpjm@optimum.net , Thank you, Thomas

- , Watertown, CT, USA

Jun 232014

Thunderbird Limited 3.9L V8

I HAVE A MINT CONDITION 14 YEAR OLD FORD THUNDERBIRD WITH 30,500 MILES. THIS CAR HAS BEEN DRIVEN A LITTLE LESS THAN 2200 MILES PER YEAR. IT HAS BEEN SERVICED ACCORDING TO THE BOOK AND HAS NEVER SEEN SNOW AND HAS ITS OWN GARAGE. IT RECENTLY STARTED RUNNING ROUGH . THE DEALER INFORMED ME THAT DUE TO FORDS POOR DESIGN THE WATER RUNS FROM UNDER THE WIPERS INTO THE ENGINE ELECTRICALS CAUSING THE MISFIRING PLUGS AND COILS. THEY HAVE REDESIGNED THE PAN UNDER NEATH THE WIPERS BUT CHARGE YOU FOR ALL THE REPAIRS. 900.00 . I FIND THIS TO BE AN ABSOLUTE RIP OFF ON FORDS PART. THEY CAUSED THE PROBLEM , NOT ME, THEY DON;T EVEN SHARE THE COST WITH YOU. WE THUNDERBIRD OWNERS WHO HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM SHOULD FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THEM. FORD IS A RIP , I WOULD NEVER BUT ONE OF THERE CARS AGAIN. THOMAS

- , Watertown, CT, USA

May 272014

Thunderbird

This seems to be a continual problem with the 2002 Thunderbird. I have only 72,000 miles on a 12 year old car and have spent at least $6,000+ dollars in (above normal maintenance) repairs on this car. The coils on the 2002 are a huge problem and yet Ford has never address the issue for this year or redesigned the coil pack. So you can expect this issue to come up again and again.

I truly wish they would recall this model and year Thunderbird for this reason, it’s a safety issue.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Thunderbird 3.9L V8

Why is the 2002 Thunderbird gasget, coil, spark plugs and connectors not covered under the recall of the 2003-5. This seems to be a major problem! Ford you need to recall the 2002. This is not an affordable problem.

- , Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA

Jul 302013

Thunderbird 3.9L

We have an 02 thunderbird that burns out coil packs also. We are afraid to drive this car at all now. What a waste of a beautiful car. And so disapointed in Ford!

- , Mustang, OK, USA

May 192012

Thunderbird 3.9L V8

Bought this Thunderbird a year ago and join the swelling ranks of those experiencing the plug/coil/valve cover problem. Just replaced the plugs myself. I noticed that half of the coils had been replaced and oil in the #1 plug valley. Car ran fine for one day and then started skipping again and overheating as well. Instead of just keep on replacing plugs, coils and valve covers has anyone thought of a permanent fix such as venting the plugs and better seals for the valve covers? If not, I am seriously considering pulling the engine and putting in a Chevy V8.

- , Franklin, NC, USA

Apr 192012

Thunderbird Convertible 3.9L 8 cyl. Fuel Inj

I've had my T-bird for seven years and started out loving it. I drive it back and forth to work - it does not just sit in the garage and look pretty. My mileage is not that high for the engine work it is requiring. The love relationship is over. I have now had to replace five coils, every time having to replace the valve covers. I just had the fifth replaced four days ago and this morning the engine light came on AGAIN, so I guess I'll be going for the sixth. I am calling Ford today - this is not acceptable as I am tired of pouring money into car repairs.

- , Pooler, GA, USA

Jun 012003

Thunderbird V8

Ford did an injustice to 2002 owners of the Thunderbird by not accepting that they had an issue with the car!!!!!

- , Bedford, VA, USA

Aug 132010

Thunderbird 3.9L V8

Obviously this is a design defect by Ford or Jaguar and they should come up with a solution by creating a coil that is not destroyed by the heat created by THEIR engine. They need to fix the problem, not just treat the symptoms. As of 1-17-12 I have now had to replace 4-6 of the coils and the engine is running rough now, the engine light is on and it is occasionally hard to start.

Do any attorneys own a T-bird having these problems. If so is there anything we can do?

If so contact me at jimhazel123@yahoo.com.

- , Chatsworth, GA, USA

Aug 112011

Thunderbird

Should you feel Ford has not adequately addressed the trouble you are having with the Coil and Plugs, please feel free to contact Ford US via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday.

Rise up and raise heck.......

- , Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 112011

Thunderbird

If you have this defect call Ford and raise Heck - Ford offers a fix for this the 2003 thru 2005 but claims there have not had an issue with 2002. All made at the same plant - 2002 has the highest failure rate on this component/s.

- , Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jul 302011

Thunderbird 3.9L

I'm having the same problem again, but I have not had problem repaired yet.

Jul 112011

Thunderbird 3.9L

Same thing coil number 8 is bad. Had the problem repaired by replacing the coil and spark plugs.

Jun 172011

Thunderbird 3.9L

I purchased my 2002 for T bird in 2005. I had second thoughts about buying a ford, because I hear bad reports about ford. But I like the way the T bird looked. This year in June the car started missing really bad. Found out the #4 and 5 coils had gone bad. The car was running good for 4 weeks. Its started missing again. This time is was coil number 8. The car was running good again. Two weeks later now it's doing the same thing.

I have a 94 buick park avenue with 170,000. It runs better than my T bird. The engine is garbage. I can't believe ford is getting away with this. I called to see if their is a recall on the coils. I've had no success.

Aug 162011

Thunderbird When I Can Get It. Hehe V8

Aug. 2011 was first repair, car still wasn't running correctly when I left dealership. Ford of Port Richey in Hudson Beach, FL had the Thunderbird for a total of 4 days. I informed them car still wasn't running correctly. My car is now at the dealership in Evansville, IN and they have had it for 11 days. Same problem.

I give up, can't find out about the recalls. I am now going to sue Ford Motor Company myself. Stern Low

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 142011

Thunderbird

this piece of crap from ford has already cost me over 10,000 dollars in repairs in just under two years for the same problem the coils and sparkplugs and engine misfire. i think its time to sue ford for this problem. i will never own another ford product thats for sure!

- , Gulfport, FL, USA

May 312011

Thunderbird V8 3.9L

I bought this car from a Ford Dealership 2 months ago. I think that since this car was originally purchased at the same dealership by its first owner and now me the second owner purchased the car with 65k on it should not have to have all of the spark plugs replaced and a coil after 1500 miles. I specifically asked them to look at the coils on the car before I bought the car as I had seen it was a popular complaint about the 2002 Thunderbird.

I will never purchase a FORD again if this is the type thing that consistantly happens with FORD doing nothing to make this right. I have driven Honda and Toyota before this purchase and never had to take the car into the shop for this type of service in the 65K mileage range.

- , Alabama, AL, USA

Jun 012010

Thunderbird Convertible 3.9L

INITIAL PROBLEM WAS A GENUINE CONCERN . I WAS AFRAID IT WOULD CRITICALLY DAMAGE THE ENGINE OR AN ENGINE COMPONENT.

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Jan 052011

Thunderbird Convertible 3.9L

THIS TIME THEY HAD TO REPLACE THE VALVE COVERS, COILS AND ALL SPARK PLUGS. MUCH EXHAUST SMOKE WITH SEVERE SMOKE OUT THE TAIL PIPE. VEHICLE WOULD STALL WHEN COMING TO A STOP.

- , Columbia, MD, USA