2. the 3.9l engine is a high performance engine that takes 91+ (1 reports)
2002 Ford Thunderbird engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Thunderbird:

2002 Ford Thunderbird Owner Comments

Aug 052012

Thunderbird 3.9L V8

I purchased this car for my wifes 37th wedding anniversary, that was 8 years ago. We have driven the car over 22,000 miles since then and the car started missing around 45mph. I thought it was bad fuel so I used Sea Foam in the gas, but the miss is still there. I have not had the car diagnosed yet, so I do not know what the problem is? My wife loves her car and it is " really annoying ", as my grandson says. This car has been to Colorado, Kansas, Michigan, Wisconsin, and it is the 1st real problem that we have ever experienced. I would appreciate any good advice on what the problem might be.

Update from Oct 21, 2013: I am only aware of Shell filling stations that have 93 octane fuel. Sunday morning I filled up the T-Bird with Shell gas, and the engine ran great, no missing, was not sluggish, the 45 mile per hour bucking was gone. This morning as I drove to work on the interstate at 70mph, there was no missing at all. I had been running cheaper fuel in the car for several years now, and I think the plugs and valves were gimmed up, which caused the misfire. This might not be a fix-it for everyone, but it has been one for me. Thank you.

- , Brighton, IL, USA

Mar 272010

Thunderbird 3.9L V8

I had a problem with the cam sensor at ~60,000 miles in which the car skipped or missed under hard acceleration. The car now has ~70,000 miles and two days ago cruising at 45 mph the skipped, then when I punched it some 10 minutes later it again skipped - it did not die on me and kept running .

Very annoying...I have read where some people have had coil problems, could this be symptomatic of a coil or plug failure?

- , Inman, SC, USA