2.6

1996 Ford Windstar fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford Windstar:

1996 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Feb 162009

Windstar

While the van was park, I notice a strong smell of gasoline. I took it in to my auto repair shop to be fixed. The shop found a crack in fuel tank that was not the results of impact damage.

- Lahaina, HI, USA

Jun 072008

Windstar

On June 7 I was outside of our home and noticed I smelled gas near my wife's van. After inspecting I saw the tank was leaking fuel. I took the tank off and noticed there was pressure to the tank from the front strap. The pressure caused what appears to be a stress crack where the strap holds the tank. It appears to me the strap is too small for the tank. Ford refuses to fix this and would rather my wife and children ride around in a gas leaking danger machine. This vehicle has less than 95000 miles and I feel the same problem has occurred here as in the 1995 Windstar.

- Laurel Hill, FL, USA

Aug 042006

Windstar 4-cyl

I have Ford Windstar,96. When I filled up gas in the tank, it started leaking and is continuously leaking. It seems that it is leaking from the tank.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 012005

Windstar 6-cyl

Engine dies after either very short (1 second or less) or no misfire. Always on hot afternoon after long period highway driving, typically interstate with speed in the 70's. only once on a secondary road speeds of 45 - 50. All times in the rolling hills of Utah, Wyoming, and western North Dakota. All six incidents occurred during a cross country trip in July, 2005 with odometer readings in the 70,000's. typically, when it happens, the engine speed and throttle are continually adjusting to maintain speed across the hills. First indication often is simply the car slowing down rather that cruising along. All other electrical (air, radio, windows, etc) not affected. This is very dangerous. Other than sometimes a one second misfire, there is no warning. The car may be passing a truck, in a middle freeway lane, on on a road with no shoulder when it happens. Wherever and whenever it happens, the car simply coasts as the driver pulls off the road to extent possible. The engine will not restart for 15 minutes or so. Then it starts as if nothing ever happened, and car is good until the next incident. I made detailed notes of each incident, and can provide additional info on specifics of what was going on with car at the time. I took car to a Ford dealer. The dealer did diagnostics and could not identify problem. I have refrained from driving under similar highway conditions since then. The van was purchased new in Connecticut in Feb, 1997.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 032001

Windstar

Engine light illuminated, dealer replaced intake manifold runner control retaining clip, cleaned the throttle body and found secondary egr ports partially plugged.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 092002

Windstar

Engine light illuminated and vehicle runs rough and misses, dealer replaced number one injector, dpfe sensor, O2 sensor and intake gaskets, dealer found a vacuum leak and replaced the PCV tube.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 232002

Windstar

While driving approximately 65 mph windshield started to fog up. Driver rolled down window for driver's door when a "popping" noise could be heard, and flames could be seen coming from vehicle. When vehicle was stopped, heavy smoke started coming from under the hood, and vehicle was engulfed in flames. A fire lieutenant suspected that fire was due to leaking fuel in engine compartment. Vehicle has not been inspected by the manufacturer or insurance company. Please provide any additional information / documentation.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA