1. replace power steering rack (2 reports)
1998 Ford Windstar steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Windstar:

1998 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Oct 012010

Windstar 2.8L

The power stering rack goes on these things to often I personaly no 10 poeple that had to replace it.Sould be RECALL.

- , Wallaceburg, Ontario, Canada

Jul 012009

Windstar 3.0L

We had the rack and pinion replaced about 6 years ago. Now we are having to replace the power steering rack and have it align for $450.00. It also needs a axle shaft and sway bar another 320.00 they said. Whats wrong with the rack and pinion that it should have to be replaced already. Its way passed warranty from six years ago. Since putting that on we haven't put many miles on it. Maybe 25,000. I am sure I will never get the people who replaced it or the manufacturer of the part to pay for anything. The last time I looked the van was one month off of getting ford to pay for it. Because they put them out knowing this part was bad.

In all my years I never had to replaced parts like this on any other vehicle. This is unbelievable. Its nothing but junk they have been putting out since the 80's in vehicles. I know they are made to break so we have to pay out alot of money on them. They send them out knowing stuff will break. You have to get someone to work on it because we no longer can. They put the engine on the front end and put it in. You can't get to anything! They can say what ever they want but I know they make these as fast as they can and don't care about the consumer that buys them. Much less that you have to pay $1000's of dollars to fix these things.

We have also put 2 power steering pumps on it in the last few years. I am beginning to think the parts we get aren't much better. I am told a tuneup will cost me 300 to 400 now. I worked on vehicles with my husband many years ago and know some things about cars. To have to pay that much for a tuneup is crazy. I looked and I can't even get too 3 of the spark plugs. In fact, I can't even see where they are.

Give me anything from the 70's are later. They don't have all the junk on it. I can't afford to buy something else or I would buy something a lot older. That I could work on! So I am stuck with a piece of FORD JUNK!

Thats my beef and I am sticking to it. lol! Got to laugh or I might get very angry.

- , Ocala, FL, USA