1998 Ford Windstar suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Windstar:

1998 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 032016

The contact owns a 1998 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while the vehicle was in for routine service, it was informed that the bracket support for the suspension was corroded and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V608000 (suspension). The contact was informed that the vehicle was unsafe to repair and was unsafe to be driven. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure was 158,000.

- Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA

Apr 292011

The contact owns a 1998 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving at 57 mph, the contact heard a noise coming from the front of the vehicle. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the sub frame in the front of the vehicle had corroded and fractured. In addition, the contact stated that the arm of the sub frame behind the driver's side front tire had corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V385000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 141,000.

- Atlanta, MI, USA

Feb 082013

Windstar 6-cyl

My wife was taking my youngest two children to school in our vehicle when smoke started pouring in through the vents of the vehicle and at the same time she lost control of the steering sliding off onto the shoulder of the road. Once my wife made sure everyone was out of the smoke filled vehicle she noticed the tire was completely shredded on the passenger front side of the vehicle. She notified me and we had the van towed to a mechanics shop where we found out that the front passenger spring had busted causing the tire to be shredded. The mechanic advised buying two new tires for the front of vehicle, he also advised buying two new springs and replacing both of them on the front. The van was fixed and we paid for the bill and tire cost out of our own pocket. The manufacturer of the vehicle informed me today that they will not compensate for any of these costs even when a recall letter 01S19/01M03 states "we will install protective shields around the front coil springs of your vehicle. These shields will prevent the possibility of tire puncture should the spring fracture. ---- motor company will also pay for any repairs directly relating to the front coil springs of your vehicle free of charge ( parts and labor) so to me this is a failure of the respected company from full filling what I see in my eyes as a obligation to the consumer. I also feel the recall should have been to replace the springs..not install shields which I am sure was a much cheaper route.I have all receipts that concern this matter. Thanks!

- Urbandale, IA, USA

May 092013

Windstar 6-cyl

No recall on my VIN # but I am having this issue. Suspension:front:springs:coil springs rubbing tires.causing to use up tires fast. Make a rubbing noise when turning.

- Union, MO, USA

Apr 082013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 1998 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while in reverse, the contact heard a loud sound from underneath the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that the rear axle fractured and caused the rear tires to bend outward. The manufacturer stated the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign I.D. number 12V195000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 180,000. Updated 10/22/13 updated 10/25/2013

- Arvada, CO, USA

Apr 092013

Windstar 6-cyl

November 2010 my vehicle was serviced for a recall which 2 reinforcement brackets were placed on the rear axle. The recall was for rear axles that were cracked or broken. Mine was not replaced just reinforced. On 4-9-13 my rear axle cracked, and I can no longer drive the van. Upon calling Ford and speaking with customer service, I was informed they did their part by placing brackets in 2010 and even though the axle cracked anyway it is now at my cost. Thankfully this did not happen while I was driving with my children, but I am very upset Ford knows this is a problem with the rear axle, and chose to place brackets that did not "fix" the problem.

- Warren, MI, USA

Sep 242012

Windstar 6-cyl

After it was put into reverse and I went to park there was a loud noise and I couldn't move the van. Got out and look at it and saw it was the rear axel completely broken.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 112012

The contact owns a 1998 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while performing a routine maintenance check up on the vehicle, the dealer found the middle of the rear axle was cracked due to corrosion nd rust. The vehicle was repaired by having the rear axle replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 10V385000 (suspension: Rear: Axle: Non-powered axle assembly) however the VIN was not included under the recall. The current and failure mileage was 130,139.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 112012

Rear axle beam crack.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 062011

The contact owns a 1998 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that after having repairs performed on the vehicle under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V385000 (suspension:rear:axle:non-powered axle assembly), the vehicle would start jerking violently from the rear to the front when driving at speeds above 60 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the ball joints, bushing, intake gaskets, spark plugs, and lower controls arms needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the recall repairs were already performed. The vehicle was repaired at the contact's expense. The failure mileage was 126,131 and the current mileage was 127,000.

- Nicholasville , KY, USA

Mar 202012

Windstar 6-cyl

Front sub frame completely rusted out. Ford has sub frame recall for the 1999-2003 but not the 1998.

- Colts Neck, NJ, USA

Feb 242012

The contact owns a 1998 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, she heard a loud clunking noise. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the rear driver side axle was fractured in half. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who verified the failure but was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 032009

Windstar 6-cyl

I went to Ford dealership in Dec 09 received inspection on recall # O9S09 and 09so9H only. Now here in Feb. 2012 the same problems with suspension, right front tire wheel makes alto of noise power steering fluid is leaking strange noise is heard when making right turns, Ford said my vehicle has had all service it is due. I believe they are wrong all the same problems the recalls reported are my problems I have paper work providing they only ran test on recall #O9S09 and 09S09H my car is in serious weather conditions here in Illinois.under the original owner Ford stated they are not responsible for any further repair. Ford dealership roberts motors 4350 alby alton il 62002.

- Cottage Hills , IL, USA

Feb 042012

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving my 1998 Windstar @ 45mph, I lost total steering control of my vehicle and my vehicle veered into the oncoming lane of a two lane highway. I was able to regain control after turning the steering wheel approx 360 degrees to the right and managed to stop safely. After further investigation, it was found that the drivers side lower control arm bracket that is welded to the subframe broke away from the subframe due to a rusted out subframe. I've owned this vehicle for the past 8 years and never received any information from Ford regarding this safety issue as noted in the 1999-2003 Ford Windstar recall which has the same issue as my vehicle. Although Ford is not going to honor a subframe recall for my year vehicle, Ford should at least send a notification letter to inform owners of this dangerous issue. Both my wife and kids drive this vehicle, but had I at least known there was a dangerous issue with this vehicle, I would have parked it.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Dec 232011

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving on the highway at 60mph, I lost control of my vehicle and it started to fishtail and swerve into the next lane as I tried to regain control it spun around and flipped over upside down on top of the guard rail and landed facing traffic. I received minor injuries and my three children were not injured. I was informed that the rear axle snapped in half on my vehicle and that there is a recall on this part. I never received a notice in regards to this.

- Owego, NY, USA

Nov 122011

The contact owns a 1998 Ford Windstar. While driving approximately 40 mph, the contact heard a loud clanking noise outside the vehicle and immediately the vehicle was driven to the side of the road. The contact noticed the rear axle was completely fractured. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the technician advised him there was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V385000 (suspension:rear:axle:non-powered axle assembly). The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer who stated the vehicle was ineligible for the recall repair due to the date range mentioned in the recall summary. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 194,000.

- Grand Rapids , MI, USA

Nov 092011

Windstar 6-cyl

The vehicle was taken to the dealership for a leaking hose. While being inspected the Ford mechanic found that the driver side front subframe was almost completely rusted through. The dealership stated the vehicle was unsafe and would not repair it. There is a recall on 1999-2003 Windstar for this reason. The 1998 and earlier are not included as the subframe on the 1999-2003 is "tubular" and the 1998 and older is "stamped". while the construction is different, the problem seems to be the same as I was advised by the Ford mechanic that the stamped subframe rusts out frequently too. My father-in-law was the original owner of this vehicle and he willed it to me upon his death. The vehicle has been well maintained and always been an "Indiana" vehicle. The subframe on the other side is fine and still has paint on it.

- Chesterton, IN, USA

Mar 172010

Windstar 6-cyl

Upon inspection of vehicle for inspection, it was determind vehicle was unsafe to drive because of badly corroded subframe on passenger side of vehicle. Also, coil spring on passenger side was broken posing a driving hazard. Vehicle has approximately 80,000 miles.

- Butler, PA, USA

Oct 132011

Windstar 6-cyl

Windstar subframe is completely corroded and unsafe. This is caused by roadsalt, nothing I did. Ford refuses to cover this as a recall. Vehicle is completely unsafe to drive, and Ford won't stand behind it.

- Penn Hills, PA, USA

Oct 032011

Was informed that sub-frame (also called engine cradle) is rusting away on my van. After looking online, it seems this is a common issue among these vans, which is caused by the use of inferior steel and an ac line running over the sub-frame. My engine can now literally fall out unless I pay out-of-pocket to replace this. I know NHTSA has an investigation into this, but I can't wait months for a recall while my family uses this vehicle daily! please recall this promptly, many people are paying thousand for out-of-pocket repairs on an issue Ford should have to cover.

- Penn Hills, PA, USA