8.7

2. rebuild / replace transmission (1 reports)
1998 Ford Windstar transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Windstar:

1998 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Jun 222011

Windstar 3.0L

I just read where this is a big problem with Windstars. But 1500.00 to repair a transmission is terrible, I looked and the rebuild kit is around 275 or so. I know they haven't made these things to work on in a long time but subtract say 300 from 1500 and thats 1200 for labor. They said they charge this much in case they find something else that needs repaired. One thing I can say is, DO NOT BUY A WINDSTAR UNLESS YOU HAVE MONEY TO PUT INTO IT! Its a never ending thing with these, having them worked on.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Nov 112010

Windstar 4 door

99%of the tranny problems are caused by poor maintenance or no maintenance.when was the last time the trans mission FILTER was changed.if they plug up you will have transmission problems.I've found this in all makes of vehicles.READ the manual.the trans filter needs to be changed just like the motor oil does only less often. This self fix has helped me many times.you can do it your self for 50.00 or go to a lube station for about 100.00 Go to a garage and it could cost you your bank account,becase some mechanics are ignorant,or want your money!!!?

- , Watertown, WI, USA

Jul 192009

Windstar ES 3.8L V6

We were riding sat. afternoon the engine sounded different,I looked at the speedo it went to zoro mph for a while ,after a while went back to normal It kept it up on and off till we got home. checked it out Sun. fluid loose wires etc. and went for another ride , ran perfect for about 35 miles , then started again , when it zeroed shifted to first and tacked out at over 3000 .now it's permanent . the car is in pristeen condition well kept up I have a bad feeling it's a serious prob. Any help please........thank you

pguitsteel [ Ralph]