1998 Ford Windstar wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Windstar:

1998 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Jan 052012

Windstar GL

THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!! A tire falling off is a death trap! I was told it was from the lugs being to tight... My tires had NOT been touched since MAY, this happened in JAN. I doubt they tightened themselves.

- , Spring Grove, PA, USA

Jun 122007

Windstar GL 3.8L

this is the second time that this wheel has fallen off in five months.high vibration, studs sheer off , tire falls off ender bent and they just keep telling me its because of over tightening which i do not believe must be something else

- , Hellertown, PA, USA

Jan 142008

Windstar GL 3.68L V6

I was driving home from the store at night on a windy backroad at roughly 35mph. On a straightaway, a terrible clunking/rumble developed and I began to slow down. At around 25mph, the right front tire broke off and rolled to an unknown location (the area is wooded and there is a large slope on the side of the road.) I came to a stop and surveyed the damage, and discovered that all five lug studs snapped off of the hub and the brake caliper was on the road. I was in the middle of a narrow road with no shoulder and limped another mile or two up the road to a shoulder i could pull off onto. I have discovered from research that this is not an uncommon problem on Ford Windstars, and that it is always the right front tire and usually due to over-tightening of the lug nuts. However, I tightened the lug nuts by hand with a cheap tire iron and there is no way I should ever be able to over-tighten the lug nuts by hand.

- , Harwood, MD, USA