2. prop open / replace blend door (1 reports)
  3. remove heater core and replace broken door (1 reports)
1999 Ford Windstar AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Windstar:

1999 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Mar 072011

Windstar SEL

How can I find the blend door for the front unit of my 1999 Ford Windstar. The rear unit is working and providing heat for my children while I freeze in the front. HELP!!!! I only want to replace the front unit, not the entire system. Do I have to go direct to Ford?

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 222010

Windstar Deluxe 3.8L V6

click to see larger images

blend door cracked in the heater core box blend door cracked in the heater core box

I really benefitted from a Youtube video by I was able to cut into the heater/AC plenum and prop-open the blend door (whose hinge and connection was shattered by the improper operation of the blend door actuator). I will be ordering a replacement blend door right away and will replace door according to instructions and the video.

The Ford garage told me that the only way to get a replacement blend door from Ford was to purchase the entire heater/AC plenum (which includes both the heater core and the AC evaporator core!) Parts cost: $469.00 Not including labor! So I saved all that by fixing this myself.

- , Charleston, WV, USA

Nov 092007

Windstar LX 3.8L V6

This adds to a list of problems with this vehicle. The blend door on a heater should not break. When it breaks you cant control the temperature in the vehicle which causes poor driving visibility and dangerous operation. To fix it the whole dash is supposed to be removed which causes this problem to become very expensive only to replace about a 5 dollar part.And to add to this now the selector switch doesn't work and the vents only blow out of the defrost vents. Another mysterious problem.

- , Middletown, OH, USA