1999 Ford Windstar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Windstar:

1999 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Aug 152010

Windstar LX 3.8L V6

I have owned a Ford Windstar 1999, 3.8L, V6 for over two years now.

The last year was a horror, financially speaking, because this van would EAT gas at extreme volumes. I am aware that these types of vehicles consume higher than average gas volumes but if the tank can hold 80 liters, I burned a full tank in 1 week, or 300 KM of driving. I drive about 30 KM every day and it literally takes 20$ / day to fuel this car.

The oxygen sensor lights are on (the engine light), I replaced all the 4 sensors, but they are still on, there is a horrible problem with the wiring too. The instrument cluster has several sever problems too.

The ABS light just went off. Now the speedometer shows 0 km/h all the time, even when driving at 100 km/h. The A/C stopped working and the heater isn't working as well, it is just blowing air from outside, so every day during the summer, I hoped for a cool day, because all I can do is roll down the windows. It is not fun when you go 90 km/h - 100 km/h with rolled windows just to get some air, but the air from the vent is VERY WARM and disgusting. The gas consumption increased drastically with rolled windows at medium - high speeds because of the wind resistance and how it creates the effect of a parachute.

Almost forgot to mention, the engine temperature gauge doesn't work as well, it stopped working about a year ago...... Also, the car keeps stalling when not moving, for example waiting to make a left turn on a green light, or waiting for a green light at an intersection. The only solution to this that I have found is switch the gear into Neutral.

I have to mention also that the safety belts suck, they are so tense and tight, they keep suffocation you to death. I keep pulling extra belt so it doesn't completely press me stomach. The noise levels inside the car are AWFUL!!! Everything about this car seems awful, I am going to disassemble this car into parts.

F*CK FORD!! I hate Windstars NOW!!!

- , Winnipeg, MB, Canada