1. you must have it reprogrammed (2 reports)
2000 Ford Windstar accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Windstar:

2000 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Jul 182012

Windstar 3.8L

My van just quit on me at the grocery last summer(2012). The battery would turn over but it would not start. Had to have a tow to local Ford dealership and the Transponder was bad. I tried someone's advice to turn the key over and it started after I got home but Ford said the transponder was bad and I had it replaced. Apparently as many problems of this type with the key and key security system, it is definitely a factory default.

- , Benton, KY - Kentucky, USA

Aug 032012

Windstar SEL

My car alarm goes off every day - usually around 10:30 am give or take 45 minutes. Once it went off at 5am and occasionally it goes off more than once a day. It is not windy and there is no one near the car, etc. I see that other people leave their car unlocked to avoid this, but I live in an area with bears. No one will steal the car, but the bears get in and wreak havoc. I don't want my neighbors to hate me!! I am scared to mess up the anti-theft system because I recently heard a horror story about someone who bought a used car. The anti-theft system malfunctioned and the car won't start now without a 3K fix. Car isn't worth 3K, so it's totalled. I want to avoid that at all costs because despite the fact that the car is 12 years old with 149500 miles now, it's in good driving condition with new brakes, tires, leather seats that clean up nicely, etc.

I am wondering if it is triggered by someone's garage door opener or similar electronic radio transmitted signal. I don't mind losing the alarm function completely since it isn't very likely to be stolen anyway. I just don't want to risk causing a problem that will make the car refuse to start!

- , Incline Village, NV, USA

Aug 062008

Windstar SEL 3.8L

Ford has this security system with a chip in the key that sends a signal to the car for security reasons. Ours crapped out and reset it self. We had to have a new key made and the system reprogrammed for $160.

- , West Allis, WI, USA