2000 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Windstar:

2000 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Nov 012012

Windstar

Instrument panel stopped working. Unable to determine speed, gas level temp, etc accurately. Other people on the web have been complaining about this for years. The problem appears to be cracked solder on the instrument panel circuit board. This should not happen and should be recalled and corrected.

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Jul 102013

Windstar 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and all my instrument panel needles (speedometer, gas, RPM, mileage, temperature) were all jumping around. This went on all the way home. I parked the car but the RPM needle was stuck I was able to move the RPM needle but now its broke.the instrument panel continues to sporadically go from working, to not working at all, to all the needles jumping around.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Jul 022013

Windstar 6-cyl

Rear windshield wiper is not working. Mechanic states the rear wiper motor has water damage and must be replaced.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 112011

Windstar 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and all my instrument panel needles (gas, RPM, mileage, temperature) were all jumping around. This went on all the way home. I parked the car but the RPM needle was stuck and I could not shift the car into park (P) and could not turn off the car. I called a local mechanic and he came over and put the car in neutral (N) and turned off the car. The car had to be towed to the mechanic to have the instrument panel checked. The mechanic was able to move the RPM needle so that I could shift the car but the instrument panel continues to sporadically go from working, to not working at all, to all the needles jumping around. The mechanic was aware that I had the transmission done 3 times since I bought the car in Sept. 2003 and told me that the malfunctioning instrument panel may be contributing to the transmission issues.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 282013

Windstar 6-cyl

All of the dashboard needles began flipping back and forth sporadically. They would bottom out below the 0 mark for a while registering no speed or gas tank amount and then start jumping around again. When I attempted to park the vehicle, the speedometer needle was lying across the bottom and kept the car from being able to go into park. At this point, the car was unable to be turned off completely, unable to be re-started, unable to steer and I had to hold my foot on the break in order to keep it from rolling. We were eventually able to start and then drive the vehicle home once the needle jumped back up. Once again in the driveway, it did the same thing and we had to drill a hole in the dash in order to manually move the needle out of the way so the van could be placed in park. We will be having it towed to a repair shop.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Apr 052013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light comes on and off while driving, cruise control does not work, speedometer and rmp guage goes crazy and stops working, leaking break fliud but can't seem to locate problem, interior lights flicker on and off, door locks will start going up and down while driving, rear passenger door does not close all the way and will sometime pop out but not completely open while driving, makes noise when turing left I had the rack and pinion changed but that did not solve the problem the noise just got worse.

- Davisville, WV, USA

Jun 062013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light is intermittently on. Mechanic reads the code C1185. He suggested that the ABS module be replaced and cost $976.

- Plano, TX, USA

Oct 052010

Windstar

ABS light on intermittently. Instrument panel gauges erratic sometimes. Cruise control not functional at times.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

May 202013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS lights showed up on display cluster. 10 amp fuse on 2nd row #2 keeps blowing. Ac stopped working, odometer went to all dashes, speedometer stopped working, electronic fuel display went to "fuel error". after unplugging ABS to keep 10 amp fuse from blowing and to get the ac to work, braking system is leaking.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 012011

Windstar

My 2000 Ford Windstar van has frequent and intermittent problems with the ABS light coming on and eventually going off; the cruise control not working sometimes even after it was repaired by the dealer; and the gauges in the instrument panel (including the speedometer) erratically malfunctioning. I have been told that these are common problems with Ford Windstar and may be subject to recalls. (even though the mileage is high, I replaced the transmission and engine with a brand new transmission and a brand new engine in 2006 and 2007, respectively. Only less than 50,000 miles on the vehicle since 2006.)

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Windstar 6-cyl

The entire dash board goes "crazy" while driving; the speedometer, tachometer, temperature gauge and gas gauge fluxuate, even at idle.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 292012

Windstar 6-cyl

Instrument panel/speedometer fails va inspection. Ford won't fix it. Parts hard to find as anyone with this model vehicle has the same problem.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 222012

Windstar 6-cyl

The speedometer and other dashboard gauges start jumping around from zero to wide open, very erratic and then will settle down normal, then start the process all over again. Unable to tell how fast I am going or how much gas is in the tank. Tachometer is also involved and other gauges.

- Cary, NC, USA

Aug 162012

Windstar

Every light on the dashboard is lit up, including the ABS, brake, check engine, etc. The speedometer doesn't work. The air conditioner doesn't work. The rear axle broke, thankfully I was in the driveway. Also, I had to pay for the rear axle because it was not part of the recall. All this started happening before the vehicle had 100,000 miles on it. The dealer I took it to for the last recall said that Ford should buy all the vans back.

- New Plymouth, OH, USA

Jul 142010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light comes on intermittently, not sure if they work after this. I have had it to the repair shop repeatedly to have the brakes and sensors inspected. This vehicle also leaks from the speed control module, instrument cluster dies, air conditioning fails due to control module shorts, fuses blow, suspension and rot issues.

- Cumberland , RI, USA

Windstar 6-cyl

Gauges go crazy and don't work half the time. ABS light is always on. Steering creeks. There is a recall for my make, model, and year but Ford somehow says it is not part of the recall but may become a recall in the future. This is not acceptable. Does someone have to die before they will listen and act?

- Copley, OH, USA

Sep 142001

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light came on went to mechanic who replaced a sensor didn't fix the problem, the light has been on ever since.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Windstar 6-cyl

All the gauges started jumping back and forth with the speedometer sticking past 120. It stayed there for several days, went back to normal and then has repeated the problem several times. When the tac gauge acts up it wedges the shift indicator making it stick in park position. This is a safety issue to have a speedometer not work and not knowing the trans gear you are in because the indicator position only stays in park. Ford should make good on this safety issue. Replacing the gauge assembly is costly.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Jul 092012

Windstar 6-cyl

I was just told that the electrical cluster for the speedometer/RPM/gas gauges on my 2000 Ford Windstar van is faulty. I have been experiencing periods of time when the gauges work just fine, won't work at all, or go completely beserk. They act out at various times; ie: Just yesterday, I had been driving the van for about 15 min, gauges working fine, when I put it into park all the gauges went crazy, with the RPM needle ending up buried past the highest it could go. There have been times where it hasn't worked/gone beserk upon start up. There have also been times where it is working just fine on start up and within a couple of minutes/miles they all go beserk or stop working completely, and at that point, sometimes it goes back to working fine, and other times it doesn't. my dad just got this van for my kids and I less than a month ago, thinking it would be a safe vehicle for us. It's sad to think that my dad threw money away on a vehicle that his regular mechanic now says to just sell/junk it and get a different vehicle because of the gauge cluster being faulty, the recalls on the van and the mount for the exhaust system being busted.

- Racine, WI, USA

May 092012

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, he noticed that the instrument panel was not reading the correct readings. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 170,000 and the current mileage was 180,000. Updated 08/07/12 the consumer stated the needle would jump from left to right. Updated 08/15/12

- Mansfield , OH, USA