2000 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Windstar:

2000 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Jul 142010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light comes on intermittently, not sure if they work after this. I have had it to the repair shop repeatedly to have the brakes and sensors inspected. This vehicle also leaks from the speed control module, instrument cluster dies, air conditioning fails due to control module shorts, fuses blow, suspension and rot issues.

- Cumberland , RI, USA

Jul 022012

Windstar 6-cyl

Gauges go crazy and don't work half the time. ABS light is always on. Steering creeks. There is a recall for my make, model, and year but Ford somehow says it is not part of the recall but may become a recall in the future. This is not acceptable. Does someone have to die before they will listen and act?

- Copley, OH, USA

Sep 142001

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light came on went to mechanic who replaced a sensor didn't fix the problem, the light has been on ever since.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Jul 022012

Windstar 6-cyl

All the gauges started jumping back and forth with the speedometer sticking past 120. It stayed there for several days, went back to normal and then has repeated the problem several times. When the tac gauge acts up it wedges the shift indicator making it stick in park position. This is a safety issue to have a speedometer not work and not knowing the trans gear you are in because the indicator position only stays in park. Ford should make good on this safety issue. Replacing the gauge assembly is costly.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Jul 092012

Windstar 6-cyl

I was just told that the electrical cluster for the speedometer/RPM/gas gauges on my 2000 Ford Windstar van is faulty. I have been experiencing periods of time when the gauges work just fine, won't work at all, or go completely beserk. They act out at various times; ie: Just yesterday, I had been driving the van for about 15 min, gauges working fine, when I put it into park all the gauges went crazy, with the RPM needle ending up buried past the highest it could go. There have been times where it hasn't worked/gone beserk upon start up. There have also been times where it is working just fine on start up and within a couple of minutes/miles they all go beserk or stop working completely, and at that point, sometimes it goes back to working fine, and other times it doesn't. my dad just got this van for my kids and I less than a month ago, thinking it would be a safe vehicle for us. It's sad to think that my dad threw money away on a vehicle that his regular mechanic now says to just sell/junk it and get a different vehicle because of the gauge cluster being faulty, the recalls on the van and the mount for the exhaust system being busted.

- Racine, WI, USA

May 092012

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, he noticed that the instrument panel was not reading the correct readings. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 170,000 and the current mileage was 180,000. Updated 08/07/12 the consumer stated the needle would jump from left to right. Updated 08/15/12

- Mansfield , OH, USA

Jul 082010

Windstar

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle jerked and all the electrical systems in the vehicle shut off completely. The contact was able to safely drive the vehicle home. The contact also stated that the vehicle would overheat and the ant-freeze would leak. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted and they stated that the vehicle was not under warranty. The failure mileage was 73,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Apr 262002

Windstar 6-cyl

Beginning in 2002 the ABS light appeared & after several trips to Ford and Napa mechanics, diagnosis was never determined. Then the recall of 2009 to replace the malfunctioned part occurred on 12/9/2009 - the very next day (Dec 10, 2009) the ABS light again appeared. I contacted the dealership where the recall work was done and they told me to bring the van back and they would 'diagnose' the problem for $120. May 2012 we replaced the affected ABS part with our own finances because the Ford dealership told us that the affected part was no longer under recall and was not their problem. It solved the ABS light from coming on for about a week. To this date the light comes on. We purchased this vehicle based on the reports that it was an excellent family vehicle for safety. I would consider braking an important feature, too. Please have Ford resolve this matter immediately and not just ignore the matter. I have less than 85,000 miles on the van so it is not due to overuse or neglect. And the vehicle has never been driven in snowy conditions, is parked in a garage when not in use and all maintenance is kept current. Please get this issue resolved correctly. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

- Atascadero, CA, USA

Jul 132011

Windstar

ABS and brake light on dashboard remains on all the time. Replaced master cylinder and had all brake system checked numerous times but problem not resolved.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 052012

Windstar

Vehicle ABS light came on, ac stopped blowing cold air & speedometer stopped all at same time. Fuse 10 amp was blown and when replaced continued to blow out

- Whiting, NJ, USA

Jul 212011

Windstar 6-cyl

Van would/runs for over an hour, shut off for 15 minutes and try to restart, and it won't. after multiples issues with this, and being able to temporarily repair, speedometer and RPM meters are now sticking permanently and are not showing speed or RPM's accurately at all! more issues too...

- Barnum, MN, USA

Jun 082012

Windstar

We came from eating breakfast to a dead battery, then we had someone help us to jump it; however, my husband noticed the electrical was not working, and it was still running, but very slow. It finally gave up and we had to tow it, and have someone look at it. We are in the middle of the problem, so hopefully Ford will have a notice or something in the mail soon. We have had problems before with the battery, and thinking maybe that is the problem, but we are hearing stories from online of other issues that could of caused this.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

May 202012

Windstar 6-cyl

On Sunday 5/20/12, upon starting our 2000 Ford Windstar van, I noticed that the speedometer was not working and the ABS (yellow) light was persistently on. (however the red brake light that had been shining on the dashboard persistently for many, many months, even after recall servicing, was now off.) driving for a few minutes, we realized that the air conditioning was not putting out cool air, only warm, and that the odometer was displaying only dashes. I should also mention, now that I have read up on these problems, which had seemed unrelated, but are apparently all traceable to a defective/leaking sdcd, that the cruise control on this vehicle has not worked for many months.

- Lake Lotawana, MO, USA

Feb 162012

Windstar 6-cyl

As is typical with the Windstar, the deactivation switch is leaking brake fluid. Thus, causing problems with the ABS and cruise. Unfortunately, Ford already honored the recall (09S09) on this vehicle. At that time the deactivation switch was not leaking so they installed a wire harness to avoid a fire when it did start leaking. (why put on a wire harness" because they knew the switch was going to fail. Why not just replace the switch in the first place") now Ford will not re-open the recall to replace the switch and fix the other related problems.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Dec 082009

Windstar 6-cyl

Regarding the 2009-2010 perform recall 09S09 of the speed control deactivation switch wire assembly replacement. It did not work - it never worked, nor did it solve the problem. Within 2 days of the installation the ABS light came on again. To this date brake fluid is still leaking into the component. It causes my brake lights to stay on upon stopping and turning the car off - which if goes unnoticed, it drains the battery. To this date the cruise control does not work. And it has also reduced my safe braking distance. I have very low miles on the van - less than 81,000 miles - so it is not cause by heavy usage. Ford has failed to fix the issue which is the leaking brake fluid onto this wiring assembly. There are many Ford Windstar still in use that are experiencing the same problem. Ford should fix this issue of the leaking brake fluid onto the assembly wire. Replacing this wire assembly harness did not and will not fix the brake fluid leakage issue.

- Atascadero, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS indicator light keeps coming on and going off intermittently. Once on it usually stays on until I turn off the car. This started during the summer about a year and a half ago. My mechanic said that most likely the ECM needed to be replaced to the tune of a $700 replacement module from Ford plus labor! my Ford dealer told me that the 09S09 recall work was done some time ago, but this problem with the ABS light coming on continues. I am very concerned after reading up on recent information as it has been reported on multiple sites that leaking brake fluid reaching the ABS electronic control module has happened after the supposed recall repair was done in many instances, causing fires and or the loss of the ABS braking system working. I have also read many, many reports online about Ford Windstar owners having the exact same problem, without necessarily having a fire or brake failure...yet. If this electronic control module is so consistently faulty, should Ford not be required to replace it at no charge to their customers, especially if there is the possibility of it causing a failure of the ABS braking system?

- Yelm, WA, USA

Oct 012008

Windstar 6-cyl

Back in 2008 I was involved in a fender bender (about $6,000 in damages) when my ABS failed causing me to slide into another car. At first I thought it was minor issue, but have since been told it's a major issue with many owners. I've found that the recall (09S09) does not address all the underlying issues and the Ford dealer will not fix all of the issues. Additionally I was told by my local Ford dealer that there were no open items on my van for ABS. When I inquired what that meant, they said that there was nothing on recall for ABS on my vehicle. I had never had anything done to the ABS, so it was not because it was already fixed. A week ago, I was almost involved in an accident because of the failure of the ABS system; I was only going 40 mph. I constantly have my brakes checked because I have to press them hard to work. The rear brakes are almost new, and the front (pads and rotors) are new so the brakes should work better than they do. Since there are major reports of problems, this needs to be addressed by Ford.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Feb 152011

Windstar

ABS light comes on intermittently. Disappears on restart.

- Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

Oct 282011

Windstar 6-cyl

Last week as I was driving around town and my instrument panel stopped working and the ABS lights would not turn off. The next morning I had to take my son to one of his activities and the instrument panel was still not working and I noticed I had to push the brake pedal all the way down to the floor. I went home and noticed that my car was leaking brake fluid. After much research I found my vehicle had a recall. (09S09) I took my car in this morning to have this recall fixed. This did not fix my instrument panel. After I got home I researched what the problem might be and have found numerous complaints about the same problem from brake fluid leaking on the some of the wires. I contacted Ford to see if this would be covered under the recall and they explained to me that the recall only covers that specific part. I am very upset because the recall will only cover the part and not the damage it has caused. I would like to file this complaint to make a record of this. I truly believe that Ford should fix the damage that this recalled part has done to my vehicle.

- Sandpoint, ID, USA

Nov 302010

Windstar 6-cyl

For a year now we be noticing odometer failure, brake light and ABS light coming on. Recently we found out the brakes weren't working at all. Luckily no accidents. I inspected the brake fluid container which was empty. I refilled it and checked around to see for any leaks. I noticed it was leaking at the scds switch. I went online and found a website where they described this to be a common problem and that there was a recall for this. Lucky it hasn't caused any fire like it did by some other owners.

- Muncie, IN, USA