3.2

2000 Ford Windstar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Windstar:

2000 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Oct 162008

Windstar

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Windstar. While backing out of the driveway at 5 mph, the bracket that supports the lower passenger side control arm failed. A mechanic stated that the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer and dealer were not notified. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 81,000.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

May 262008

Windstar 6-cyl

Mar 2008 we took our 2000 Ford Windstar van in for a clicking noise. Was told that the plastic manifold intake valve was broke. They said to fix it would be about $800 but if the noise did not bother us we could leave it. May 2008 was rear ended and two days later van broke down. Took it to harris Ford in lynnwood was told the manifold was completely broke and had to have it repaired at a cost of $1200. I know the plastic manifolds were recalled on other models and think the vans should have been included. What is my recourse?

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Feb 012008

Windstar

Pressure sensor on the master cylinder leaked taking out the speedometer, odometer, ABS and cruise control.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Feb 272008

Windstar 6-cyl

2000 Ford Windstar with multiple manufacturer defects. Consumer states these are some of the problems windshield washer fluid pump failure, reverse sensor system failure, brake light switch is sticking and more. The message center started to read error when displaying the outdoor temperature. The consumer found one of the male prongs on the sensor plug had corroded and broken off, which indicated that the sensor plug was not adequately protected from moisture. One of the coolant lines to the rear heater corroded and failed at the point where it crossed under the frame at the rear of the vehicle. The check engine light illuminated. The mechanic stated the engine was running lean due to an air leak. The coolant crossover tube sprang a leak.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 012003

Windstar 6-cyl

Have had constant problems with my 2000 Ford Windstar since 40,000 miles. Have already done the overhaul for the check engine light and the ABS light still comes on and off daily for the last 3 years. Replaced the cruise control activation switch 2 years ago, but I guess the leaking fluids have destroyed my ECU. Also have cleaned and checked all wheel sensors which has not helped at all. I used to be a Ford man, but after these problems and $$$ spend, I'm very cautious of Ford now!

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Feb 162007

Windstar 6-cyl

Engine coolant disappearing without explanation. Took into dealer to learn it was a common leak in the front cover gasket that could lead to engine failure. I own a 2000 Ford Windstar with a 3.8L V-6.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Aug 042006

Windstar 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 60 mph, the check engine light illuminated intermittently. During the time that the light was illuminated, the vehicle ran normally. While the check engine light was not illuminated, the vehicle was sluggish, and would not run smoothly. The vehicle was taken to a private repair shop, where the mechanic was unable to determine the cause of the problem. The battery was replaced, however the problem became worse.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Dec 202004

Windstar 6-cyl

The consumer complained about multiple problems with the vehicle on numerous occasions. The driver noticed smoke coming from underneath the vehicle, and pulled over. The smoke went out on its own. The driver had the vehicle towed. The second incident involved the transmission exploding while driving. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection, and the mechanic determined that the transmission and the engine needed to be replaced. Only four of the seat belts worked.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Dec 232004

Windstar

2000 Ford Windstar SE stalls at red lights and when idling -- dealer kept insisting nothing wrong, yet would stall. In shop in October returned to us as working -- stalled in December again.

- N Bethesa, MD, USA

Nov 222004

Windstar 6-cyl

After pumping the brakes they could not stop the vehicle, and the check engine light was on. Dealer replaced the anti lock braking system, but the check engine light problem had not been repaired....also, overdrive light came on dealer replaced shaft sensor.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Aug 092004

Windstar

While at a stop vehicle stalled. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

May 142004

Windstar 8-cyl

The van started to idle very rough, from complete stall to racing, intermitently, then check engine light came on, to compensate, car needed to be placed in neutral at complete stops, dealer service indicated intake manifold gasket failed, caused, in part because of original manufacture of a plastic part that is no longer availble. Replacement part is indicated to be aluminum, several other gaskets replaced in a costly repair that Ford refused to cover under warranty on van with only 41,500 miles.

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Oct 152003

Windstar

Manifold gasket leak. Tbs article no. 03-16-1. this repair was done 7 months earlier than this and we paid a $200 deductable and our warranty company paid the rest. 7 months and 13,800 miles later it went again and they never did the tbs to it the first time and they wouldn't pay for their error in not taking care of the problem the first time. Our warranty company would not pay as it's a faulty part from Ford and it should have been addressed at the 7 month prior apt. I had also brought it in a few months prior to this Oct. Visit as the engine light was on and they said it was because my gas cap wasn't on tight enough and was charged $85 for this visit. I wonder if this was a sign of what was happening. We we're treated terribly by Ford not only with not paying for their error but disrepectfull and uncalled for language and behavior.

- Saginaw, MN, USA

Dec 152002

Windstar

12/02 engine light came on - had to have upper plenum gasket, O-rings, vacuum elbow and valve cover with gasket replaced for $600. 4/03, car less than 3 yrs. Old but with 44K miles, the transmission blew: Weld broke on the "drum over the planetary gear". so warranty expired at 36K miles but Windstar still under 3 yrs. Old. I expect a car to last at least 3 years before anything this expensive happens. Want Ford to pay for repairs and extend warranty til Windstar is paid for in 2005.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Jun 152003

Windstar

Right from the day I bought the van, I have had one issue or the other. Here are some of the major issues. 1. tires - my new van had bumps on all 4 tires. Every tire dealer told me they would burst on driving. They were general tires. I went to Ford many times and opened a case with them also to no avail. After 12,000 miles, I decided to buy 4 new tires myself for the safety of my family at my own expense. 2. at 15,000 miles, I had to get my front brakes changed as they had reached their end of life. 3. at 15,000 miles, I also had to get my transmission fluid as well as drop pan changed as they worn out 4. at 30,000 miles, I had to get my front brake pads again changed (these were also worn out). What is surprising is that my rear brakes are fine 5. at 30,000 miles, I also had to get my transmission fluid as well as drop pan changed as they worn out 6. at 40,000 miles, my check engine light came on, for which I had to get the entire cooling system changed as well as had major engine work done to remove the light. The bill was in a few thousand, and I still don't know what they did to get it all fixed 7. at 45,000 miles, I had to get front rotors and brakes again. 8. at 45,000 miles I also had to get my front tie rods changed as they were squeaking 9. my automatic door sensor has never worked since I bought the van. If you shut the doors using the electronic door openers, and if something is in the way, it will still shut the door trapping the item, rather than reversing the process. 10. my drivers side power seats have just failed, and I am yet again faced with a large expense. I will never buy a Ford again

- Robbinsville, NJ, USA

Apr 052004

Windstar

When driving through an intersection vehicle stalled. This caused consumer to have the vehicle towed to the dealership for inspection.

- Albany, GA, USA

Mar 082004

Windstar 6-cyl

While the vehicle was parked consumer heard a loud noise coming from the steering wheel when turning left/right. Then, vehicle surged forward. The dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem. Dealer also performed diagnostic on vehicle, and found that the cause was a bad idle air control valve. Consumer declined repair on idle air control valve after diagnosis from first dealer. However, idle air control valve was replaced by a different service dealer.

- Zeeland, MI, USA

Dec 192002

Windstar

Consumer states while traveling 65 mph without any indication engine indication light flash speed drop and over driver lights started blinking. Dealer was contacted techician notice transmission needed to be replace transmission is on the third repair.

- Waltham, MA, USA