2001 Ford Windstar AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

May 182016

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. While the vehicle was in motion, an internal fire erupted near the rear auxiliary air conditioning. The controls associated with the wires and the covering were melted. The contact smelled strong plastic fumes in the rear of the vehicle. The contact pulled the vehicle over and discovered that the cover and wires melted without warning. The contact was not notified of NHTSA campaign number: 15V608000 (suspension), but the VIN was not included. The approximate failure mileage was 106,390.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jul 112002

Consumer states air conditioner compressor is noisy. Dealer checked compressor for noise, but no problem found.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Sep 102002

Windstar 6-cyl

Noticed smoke coming from the hood of vehicle. Shortly after, the vehicle was in flames. Investigative report revealed that the cause of the fire was from the failure of the air conditioner lines which had been replaced prior to the fire.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 022001

I have repeatedly contacted my dealer for the problems that exist with my vehicle. The brakes fail after prolonged pressure at red lights. I was told to set my parking brakes to adjust. I had two large bumps on the steering wheel. I was told that it was a broken bearing and they replaced my steering wheel and fixed the broken bearing. The new wheel has the exact same bumps. I was told not to worry about it. The air conditioner was making grinding sounds. The compressor was replaced. The enige has a ticking noise when vehicle is in gear but stopped with brake. I was tols this is the injectors and nothing was wrong. The van stalls at any speed for no reason after long periods of driving. I was told it was my alternator. I have had my van not long and already have a rebuilt new van. I went to the dealer and drove another van. None of the above problems were seen. I was told there is nothing that I could do but to trade in and pay mega bucks for another one. My van has been in the shop for 9 days the first time and 15 days the second time. I feel I have been wronged by the Ford Motor Company and I should be given a vehicle that I can drive and feel safe in. I feel that the vehicle has more problems then the 1980 aerostar that I replaced with this one. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to solve this problem. If there is nothing, then please warn others from the problems that I have encurred.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Oct 232001

Recall 01 V 262 000/aux A/C blower motor wiring: Dealer; fullenton Ford; summerville, NJ; phone # 908/722-2500)unable to schedule appointment no sooner then last week of November or sometimes in December; seeking help from NHTSA in this matter. Feel free to provide any further information.

- Neshanic Station, NJ, USA