2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Jan 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS and brake light intermittently turns on for no reason. Sometimes when I'm stopped at a light, others when I'm braking and others I'm cruising at highway speeds. Sometimes it happens every day, sometimes once a month. If it turns on I can normally turn it off by turning the key off and restarting the car. And wile they are on my ABS does not function at all.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Jul 012012

Windstar

Both of my brake lights, at the same time, come on and off on my dashboard. Within the past year I have had both the front and back brakes fixed, including new lines, calipers, rotors, etc..and the lights still randomly come on.

- Portage, MI, USA

Aug 272002

Windstar 6-cyl

Interior lights flash on and off including dash lights taken in on numerous occasions but problem still exists to this day. ABS and brake lights come on constantly up to and including today. Noise that sounds like bones crunching from steering wheel or under foot? and buzzing from right front tire on left turns. Took into Ford dealer for all complaints, never fixed.

- Barling, AR, USA

Jul 182013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light, traction control, and emergency brake lights have been coming on and off for about three years. Took it to the mechanic multitude of times and no problem found. Finally brakes failed and almost caused an accident. Master cylinder was replaced and lights still come on. Brakes seemed to be working fine but am terribly concerned about this and worried it might happen again. Car vibrates a little when brake is pressed when the lights are on. This is a safety issue that Ford should addressed.

- Lake Ariel, PA, USA

Jul 012013

Windstar

ABS brake lights come on when there is no problem. This has happened several times over the years I have owned this vehicle.

- Prospect Park, PA, USA

Jul 032006

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights have been going on and off intermittently for several years, brakes are fine according to mechanic. Ford ran a diagnostic 7/10/2013 and recommended replacing the ABS module at a cost of $1061. If the brakes are fine why should I have to pay for a replacement of a module that is widely known to be defective and sadly causing my van to not pass state inspection. I cannot afford to replace this and now I have no way to continue going to work. Thank you Ford, you put a defective part in my vehicle and force me to have to replace it at my expense so I can get through inspection. I will never buy another Ford again nor will I fix this at my expense. There needs to be a forced recall on this common defective issue.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Aug 012005

Windstar 6-cyl

Problems encountered: Rear windows not working, had motors replaced worked for about 6 months then intermittent then quit working within 6 months. ABS and brake light on dash goes on and off. A/C stops blowing for about 20 seconds then resumes blowing. Keyless entry works sometimes, sometimes it don't. speedometer slower than it reads and mileage may not be correct. Windshield wipers not working properly. Intermittent settings on wipers quit working and when you turn off wipers they stop in middle of windshield. I have an 88 year old father with no legs and this is the vehicle I have to drive him around in. Do not feel safe!!

- Pearl River, LA, USA

Jun 182013

Windstar

ABS light on and brake light on, nothing is wrong with the brakes they work fine. Apparently this is a known issue that Ford hasn't issues a recall on it. ECU master relay has a bad soldier joint which fails prematurely and causes the ABS light and dtc C1185. It also causes the enhanced ABS braking system to become inoperable.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 022013

Windstar 6-cyl

While sitting at the red light my brake light, ABS light, over drive lights all came on and then my speedometer would not register when I started to go when the light turned green.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Jun 172013

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS warning light came on and the brake warning light was coming on and off. I took it to be repaired and a code showed up for an ABS sensor on the front left tire. It was replaced. The lights are still coming on and going off and back on etc...I took the van back and a new code appeared-C1185. This code does not show up in the list of codes for my vehicle on my mechanics computer. My mechanic believes it is an ABS relay malfunction. I called a Ford dealer who said his computer was not working properly and to call back another time. There have been many recalls on this model van and I have had many problems with it for many years. When it comes to brakes, it is a safety issue.

- Middletown, RI, USA

Sep 012008

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS system is inoperable, ABS light and brake light comes on at different intervals of time when I am driving. It often happens when I hit a bump or after the car has been running for a period of time. It comes on more frequently in hot weather.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

May 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light turning on and still keep on from since. One year before, the light is turning on in summer time and is turning off (at depend on the day or irregularities on the road). The problem ceases during fall and winter. I was informed that exist a Ford recall for that, but I will never received a letter from Ford. Because a lot of people have experimented problem with ABS light with Ford Windstar 2001, I assume it is important to sign a complain for that.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 112013

Windstar 6-cyl

My Windstar since they day I bought it used has had the ABS trac off and brake lights come on at the same time when first taking off after starting the engine and stay on until the next drive then they do it again I've heard of a lot of people having this same issue I think its time for a recall!!

- Houghton, MI, USA

Jun 032013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS warning light comes on intermittently. From research on the web, this is a common problem starting with Windstar dating from 1999.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 302013

Windstar 6-cyl

I am in the process of trying to figure out what is going on. While driving on the interstate (with cruise control on) I noticed the od light started flashing and the check engine light came on. I pulled over and the brakes were smoking to the point I was afraid there would be a fire. I had to sit on the side of the road with my toddlers and wait for it to stop smoking. I was still about 20 miles from home. I am not someone who is fortunate enough to have family nearby or friends who could help. We are on a tight budget with a child who has special needs and only one working parent so could not afford a tow. The 'check engine' light stayed on but the od was off upon starting the vehicle. The od came on 2X in the 20 miles it took to arrive. Each time it came on I pulled over, turned the van off and back on. When the od was flashing when I let off the accelerator, even on an incline, it was slowing me down so I figured the brakes were engaged. With the cruise control on I was unable to tell so I was pushing it up to 70mph with the brakes going against it. On the way home I did not use cruise control but it kept happening only it was very noticeable that the brakes were rubbing. There is now brake dust all over my tires and the side of the van. This could have caused an accident, this could have caused a fire! my daughter is disabled and in a complex child restraint system with straps and positioners. I also have a 1 yr old and if something had happened I am not confident I could have gotten them both out in time had a fire started. I need this van to carry my daughters wheel chair around. I am extremely irate. We bought this vehicle 3 months ago (second hand)!!!! something needs to be done about this issue since I have read online that it is actually common!!! they are saying the code is P1744 torque converter clutch system stuck in off position. $3000 to fix!!!

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Sep 222011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS/brake lights stays on.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 082011

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light has been on but no one can tell me why. It goes out when the vehicle is shut off but will light up again after about 10 minutes of driving. The cruise control would work sometimes and not others. If finally quit working all together. The fuses are all fine. The power windows and door locks work sometimes and not others or might work on one side of the vehicle but not the other.

- Loughman, FL, USA

May 232013

Windstar 6-cyl

On several different occasions I will be driving my van and the ABS and brake light come on. Finally today we were able to get a code and it is 1185. We were not able to get a code up until today because when you turn the vehicle off it resets the lights on the dash. My mechanic is looking up the code to see what it is. This is scary since it has something to do with the ABS or master cylinder.

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

May 222013

Windstar

While driving down the road ABS light and brake light came on at the same time. This has happened from time to time and seems to go away and then come back after turning the vehicle on and off.

- Layton, UT, USA

May 112013

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake pressure switch leaking brake fluid onto wiring harness causing cruise control and ABS brake issues. Potential fire hazard.

- Palmyra, VA, USA