2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Oct 012012

Windstar 6-cyl

As mentioned on the website, we seem to have this problem: 6/25/12 - another recall effort is in the works. The (mostly unservicable) ECU master relay has a bad soldier joint which fails prematurely and causes the ABS light and dtc C1185. It also causes the enhanced ABS braking system to become inoperable. If your ABS light is on. Report the problem at NHTSA - Use the category brakes, the more reports the better a chance of continued action.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Sep 122012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light constantly staying illuminated.

- Robinson, TX, USA

Jan 032011

This is a continuing situation: After driving a short distance and applying the brakes the first time; as the car slows to 5mph, the brakes fail and a grinding/cranking type of noise is heard; after a small distance the brakes re-engage and stop the car; very dangerous; the ABS light then comes on and the brakes work normally* without ABS controls. This situation happens every time that the car is started until the ABS light comes on and apparently disengages the ABS system.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Sep 032012

Windstar 6-cyl

I took my vehicle for a recall for the rear axle a year ago and they sprayed some sealer on it and said it was good to go. So now the axle is cracked, and ready to snap. What should I do" also there is a recall on the brake pressure deactivation switch on my vehicle which is leaking brake fluid on the wiring harness. I shouldn't be driving it, but I need to get to boston. Again what can I do about this"

- Berkley, MA, USA

Jun 162011

Braking distance suddenly increased. ABS dash light as well as red brake light illuminate intermittently. All systems checked, fluid levels at proper height, no ABS codes, replaced driver side speed sensor as visual inspection revealed a crack in the housing. ABS light remains intermittent and ABS activates randomly, mainly at speeds less than 10mph.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Mar 282012

Windstar 6-cyl

The date pertains to the first occurance. The ABS & red brake light will illuminate. When this happens the vehicle has lost the assistance of the ABS durning an emergancy stop. The dealers diagnostic report requires the ABS control module to be replaced at my expense. This vehicle has less than 20,000 original miles.

- Wheat Ridge, CO, USA

May 162011

Windstar 6-cyl

The issue is caused by heat in the ABS (anti-lock brake system) ECM (electronic control module) (2C219) module causing expansion of a large aluminum plate (heat sink) in the ECM which is attached to the ECM main circuit board at all points. The expansion occurs when the unit gets warm especially in the summer months and causes intermittent electrical connection in the unit because the fragile board is being stretched and malformed. The code most commonly scanned by professional mechanics is code C1185. Seen by us owners as a yellow ABS brake light.

Jun 142011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake light on brake light on the (mostly unserviceable) ECU master relay has a bad soldier joint which fails prematurely and causes the ABS light and dtc C1185. It also causes the enhanced ABS braking system to become inoperable.

Sep 102012

ABS service brakes lights come on. Has been happening since 2006 90% of the time in the summer in moderate to high outside temperatures.

- Merrillville , IN, USA

Jul 152011

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake and ABS lights came on during driving, can happen at any speed. It could be reset at first by stopping, turn off engine then restart. At first, it can go for a couple of weeks before it happened again. But lately it happens more often and ignition off/on to reset is only about 50% successful.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light is on continuously ABS is not active. This problem seems to be a problem with the ECU master relay.

- N Port, FL, USA

Aug 272012

Windstar 6-cyl

Three days this week our van brake and ABS lights came on in the morning and did not go off on my wife's drive to work. Two evenings the lights came on while running at normal speeds(55). The brakes seemed to operate properly but I don't know if my ABS will function in a emergency. We bought this van new in 2001.

- Gray, TN, USA

Jan 032012

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS light comes on and my ABS doesn't work! also my vehicle has an issue with starting. It could happen once a week or once a month. It is so weird, I have replaced the starter, the sensors. Tested everything else and nothing is bad. Don't know what else to replace.

- Taunton, MA, USA

Aug 272010

Windstar 6-cyl

One year ago, both the ABS light and the brake light were turned on. Sometimes they are on and off frequently.

Jun 132011

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake light and ABS light for braking system come on randomly when driving. I brought my vehicle in to the Ford dealership and they said my brakes were fine but the light still comes on. At the same time my vehicle. Stumbles when operating at low speeds.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Aug 242012

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and brake lights appear then disappear on dash. Unsure on the state of ABS and brakes.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jul 072008

We have had our brakes serviced back in 2008, and once before that in 2003 (almost a year after we purchased the car). In the past couple years, the ABS light and the parking brake light have constantly been turning on after five minutes of driving. The brakes still work, but I am unaware of why the lights continue to come on. When we had our brakes serviced in 2008, the lights have already been coming on, and replacing the brakes did not help. Brakes have been an issue for our Windstar since we bought the car.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Aug 082008

ABS light is on most of the time. Sometimes it will go off and then it is continually on.

- Carroll, IA, USA

Jan 032011

Windstar 6-cyl

From time to time, the ABS and brake lights come on, usually as you are just driving, which makes the ABS system inoperable. Ford has looked at this problem and actually stated they are not sure what the problem is or how to fix it. With that said, the car is not inspectable and makes it difficult. This should be a recall issue!

- Saco, ME, USA

Aug 082012

My brakes and ABS light stays on even after repairing brakes my ABS system is not working, one day while raining I try to stop my vehicle and it kept on going.

- Meriden, CT, USA