2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Mar 252010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brakes are activating during normal braking. My ABS and brake lights started coming on about 3 years ago. My ABS brakes actually activated while I was braking in normal road conditions, no gravel, rain, etc.. my son was driving and I was in the passenger seat. We were coming to a stop at a highway and the car wouldn't stop when he broke. It just kept going. It was very scary. Didn't know what it was but just assumed it was a one time deal. The lights continued to come on off and on ever few weeks. About a year later the ABS brakes activated again while I was driving through town (30 mpg) and coming to a stop. When I was going around 5 mpg and there was a car stopped in front of me my car would not stop. It kept "pulsating" and moving forward. Scared the heck out of me. I almost rear ended the car in front of me. At this point I took it to the local Ford dealer. They ran a $100 diagnostic and said it was the ABS module that needed to be replaced...$980 later. The clerk told me that this may not fix the problem but that they needed to do this *first. We did not have it replaced since they could not guarantee this would fix the problem. The lights continued to come on but at closer intervals. Last week, August, 2012 it happened for the 3rd time; the ABS light did not come on during this episode. I was coming to a stop at a highway entrance.... my car would not stop again! it kept pulsating and pulling forward towards the oncoming traffic. Very scary!! the brake and ABS lights are now coming on 2-5 times were driving trip.

- Amity, OR, USA

Jul 122012

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS system have been intermittently operating for a while and cased the are to almost rear end a vehicle. Both the ABS and brake lights are one when if fails. This fault first occurred around 78,000 miles. Replaced the ABS module and the second one had the same issue. Ford indicated that they wanted me to buy a new part at >1250$. not sure that it would work any better that the two I have or felt that it would not last.

- Fort Woth, TX, USA

Jun 222012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights come on. Go off when vehicle is turn off and back on. Problem is intermittent. Less so in cooler weather. Front and back brakes check out O.K. no sign of fluid leak in brake system, however ABS seems nonfunctional. Had dealer check lights. Said couldn't find a problem with the brakes and that the ABS module might be bad. Read that numerous other owners have the same problem. I feel that these cars were assembled with defective ABS modules.

- Broadview Hts, OH, USA

Sep 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

All recalls completed. ABS and brake lights are still on. Had tech check codes first round: C1235, C1185, C1198, C1194, C1254, C1246, C1250, C1242, & C1214 second round: C1185, C1198, C1194, C1254, C1250, C1242, C1214, & C1210 third round: C1198, C1194, C1254, C1246, C1250, C1242 fourth round: No codes present five minutes driving lights come back on.

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Jun 112012

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light and exclamation point light stays on all the time. There is also a scrubbing, dull screeching sound when I apply the brakes. I've had it checked out and attempted to be fixed several times, but neither mechanic has been able to fix it. They turn the lights off, but they come right back on. Please recall and correct this problem before people get killed. I'm afraid to drive the van very much.

- Chickamauga, GA, USA

Dec 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS warning light comes on along with emergency brake light. The lights stay on for varying periods and then go out only to return at irregular intervals. No change in vehicle operation is noticeable.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Mar 032012

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving my Windstar van the ABS light came on and stayed on. At random times the brake light comes on and off. When both brake lights are on the cruise control doesn't work.

- Woodhaven, MI, USA

Jul 012009

The dashboard brake light and ABS light illuminate sporadically for extended periods of time.

- South Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

Jul 302010

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar, I've never had so much trouble with a vehicle. This has been going on and off for over a year. The ABS and brake light comes on and stays on most of the time.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 012010

These lights stay on even after repairs are done. They go off for a couple days and then come back on. This has been going on for at least 2 years. I also have electrical problem with my speedometer and gauges. I also have been having a problem with my fuel vacuum causing the gas to spill out when pumping and tank is not full.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Jun 172011

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake light and ABS light continue to come on. Happens more in the warmer months. Something must be wrong because it come on all the time now. If I shut the car off and turn it back on, it will go off. Sometimes it will stay off and sometimes it comes back on after a few minutes of driving. I'm concerned that this is not safe and that there may be some bigger issue. The last thing I want is for my van to lose it's ability to brake with my family inside.

- Marion Heights, PA, USA

Feb 132012

Windstar 6-cyl

I got ABS sign somewhere in February. It pass my may inspection too. But finally I decided to get it checked and it turned out that ABS module is faulty. Because of this, I some times get brake sign also on. Dealer found that brakes are in good shape, shoes, pads and rotors are in good shape, fluid is filled up too but ABS module bring brake light up sometimes. I am concerned about in case of emergency brake is not applied properly. I would like Ford to replace ABS module as a recall.

- Wallingford, PA, USA

Mar 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

Since the beginning of 2011 the ABS and the brake light came one. I have no idea why it comes on and stays one. I am afraid to go long distance because of this.

- Newark, NJ, USA

May 032012

Windstar 6-cyl

Just recently, in the past couple months, the ABS lights go on intermittently on the dashboard, warning that there is a problem. We took it to the Ford dealership, and they said it may need a new ECU or computer module, but they said it was safe to use. However, the manual says when the lights are on, the ABS system and traction control are disabled... there seems to be a recall, but no one at the dealership mentioned any issue. It seems strange for a car with 68,000 miles to have this go out - we want to make sure it is not a covered item before paying $ 1,400 for a new part. Thank you.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Jan 022012

ABS and brake light come on at same time, this happens randomly. Stop vehicle turn off and restart and lights will go out, they will stay off for one day to one month -- no pattern -- this vehicle has had the recall done.

- Winters, CA, USA

Jun 282012

ABS light, air bag light and brake light keeps coming back on while car is on.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Oct 202011

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS brake light keeps coming on. Mechanic said when it comes on my ABS system will not work. This is not safe for myself or children I travel with daily. I have talked to others having the same issue.

- Belleville, IL, USA

May 182005

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and the red brake light came on the instrument panel. Had the computer or something reset a couple of times but the lights keep coming on. Been doing this for a number of years.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jun 252012

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact was driving 30 mph when the ABS, traction control, and parking brake warning lights illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 122,840.

- Caswell, ME, USA

May 272012

ABS system light appeared on, ABS traction activated in dry, non slippery conditions, will not disable upon reset and problem continues. Ford dealer indicates this is a problem with many Windstar, but will not fix without $200 diagnostic fee.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA