2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Aug 162009

Three months ago, I bought a 2001 Ford Windstar LX and about a week after the ABS and the brake light started to turn on and off sporadically and I noticed that every time I pushed the brake pedal the pedal won't come back up as usual, I changed brake pads, checked the brake fluid level which was low but then everytime I use my van there's like a plastic or fluid burning smell that comes from underneath my van on the passenger side, my cruise control is not working and, I'm afraid something bad could happened in the future, I took my van to a brake shop and they told me there was a recall on the ABS system on these vans, I checked Ford website entered my vans VIN # but there is no recall so looking in the internet I found a website that suggested that I should report that to NHTSA because there is an investigation already open and filling these report might help that investigation ending in a voluntary recall by Ford.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Aug 192009

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the ABS and brake light illuminated; therefore, the contact feared that the braking system would fail. The mechanic repaired the ABS control module. The contact is concerned about the safety risk. Ford has a recall on the braking system for several other vehicles. The current and failure mileages were 72,000.

- North Field, NJ, USA

Sep 092009

2001 Ford Windstar with the ABS and the brake warning lights on. I had a leaking master cylinder. Changed the master cylinder and the front disk brake pads. Bled the brake lines. When the van is started the lights are not on, but as it is driven down the road these two lights will come on. The brakes don't have to be applied for this to happen. It could happen in the first 100ft. Or maybe they will not come on until it has been driven several miles. I thought I had it fixed one time as I drove 65 miles without them coming on, then there they are. The van will stop and the brakes don't feel mushy.

- West Monroe, LA, USA

Aug 202009

ABS light and brake light comes on intermittently. It goes off sometimes for a week but then will come back again.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 202009

ABS & brake lights on intermittently. This happens mostly when outside temperature is above 24C. Checked, but the scanner didn't show any of the codes" the mechanic said could be the malfunction of the computer" the problem not fixed because replacing the computer is too expensive and the brake would function ok without ABS.

- Mississauga, 00, USA

Apr 122008

2001 Ford Windstar - recurring ABS & E-brake lights on while driving in 2001 Ford Windstar. Lights come on intermittently and stay on until vehicle is turned off. After restarting, lights will come on again once driving has started. Mechanic unable to determine problem. Possible fire damage.

- Carolina Beach, NC, USA

Aug 232009

Drove to Virginia- 3 hrs into trip went to rest area and brakes gave out totally- ran into the back of another mini van, no injuries. The brakes came back, later brake fluid was 100% empty, filled it back up, and just last weekend driving back from annapolis- 90 degrees -and came off 100 onto rt 1 and no brakes whatsoever!!! then almost crashed =made very sharp left turn and swerved around other vehicles-scariest moment in my lift, then brakes came back again!! did research and see there is an issue and Ford is ready to do a recall---I'm so upset and haven't driven the van since-.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Nov 162007

2001 Ford Windstar ABS and cruise control will both stop working at the same time.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Aug 122009

Smoke!! brought Ford Windstar to a local tires plus for service $310.03 - ABS light on after a few minutes or more while driving. Intermittent light. Brake light comes on from leak. Need fluid. ABS light and brake light comes on while driving, when I turn vehicle off and restart the lights come on again while driving I have noticed brake fluid on the switch below the master cylinder and also on another switch bank in the area below. I have found many complaints and websites explaining this problem. Ford need to do something!!

- Clearwater Beach, FL, USA

Jun 152009

Red brake indicator and yellow ABS indicator come on randomly. They come on at any speed and usually reset after turn off and turn on. They may come back on immediately or next day. Seems to be false indication. No indication of brake or ABS problems.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

Jul 232009

Brake pressure deactivation switch leaks, causing loss of brake fluid and illumination of brake warning light. Replenished fluid, but before switch could be replaced it shorted burning out fuse #10. This caused loss of function of speedometer, tachometer, odometer and ac; ABS and brake warning lights illuminated and overdrive off indicator flashes. Replacing switch and fuse #10 resolved issue. Research on the internet found that failure of this component has led to fires due to brake fluid leaking on other electrical components, though no additional evidence of damage was found in this case.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 152008

ABS & brake light senors continuously remain lit on instrument panel of vehicle.

- Stanhope, NJ, USA

Jul 172009

2001 Ford Windstar ABS light and brake light comes on while driving, when I turn vehicle off and restart the lights come on again while driving I have noticed brake fluid on the switch below the master cylinder and also on another switch bank in the area below. I am currently researching how to repair and if there is a recall on this view Ford tsb 15682.

- South Holland, IL, USA

Jul 162009

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar SE van where the brake, ABS and traction control lights intermittently come on. When this happens, my understanding is that the ABS and traction control systems will not function normally. To me this is a safety concern. I have had a mechanic look at the problem and run the computer codes but was unable to determine the cause. I will have to bring this vehicle to the Ford dealer and spend a bunch of money to have them fix it I'm sure. In the meantime, I understand that some vehicles experiencing this problem have started on fire (mine hasn't) but this is a ticking time bomb as this is the car my wife and children ride in. I believe that Ford should have to perform a recall to fix or replace the faulty part(s).

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

May 012009

ABS and brake light come light up intermittently on my 2001 Ford Windstar. Brakes seem ok, but I have read of a problem common with this model that causes this from leaking brake fluid and possible fire hazard. This occurs 3-4 times a week. I am having the van looked at by my mechanic next week.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

Jun 292009

The ABS warning light on my van comes on intermittently. After the vehicle has been turned off for awhile, it will go out. This happens at least once a day, though the light does not come on every time the vehicle is used. This problem has been steadily getting worse over the past three months. Also, the brake pressure differential deceleration switch has been leaking brake fluid for many months. I replaced it with a new part from Ford a few days ago.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jul 032009

Brake fluid consistently leaking. Brake pressure differential deactivation switch leaking onto ABS brake module. Have cleaned and dried thoroughly twice only to have contamination reoccur.

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Oct 202008

ABS yellow warning light on, red brake light on and cruise control will not work. Have replaced the ABS module with unit from a salvage yard in Oct 2008 and it failed June of 2009. The brake pressure switch on the bottom of the master cylinder was replaced in Oct 2008 and it has failed again in May 2009 with intermittent operation of the cruise control or the cruise control kicking out intermittently.

- Rochester, IN, USA

Jun 192009

I had a total loss of brake function on my 2001 Ford Windstar SE for 5 seconds.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jun 092009

ABS and brake light illuminated on dash.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA