8.7

2. replaced axle (3 reports)
  3. welded crack and placed 3/16" plates over area and painted (1 reports)
2001 Ford Windstar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Oct 142013

Windstar Sport Xe 3.2L

Ford Windstar was recalled for bad or broken axles by ford manufacturers. Dealership said there are no recalls for this vehicle. The rear axle is bad or broken on my 2001 ford windstar sport se and will cause an accident if driven. I am filing this complaint because Ford refuses to fix the problem that had been recalled for. I highly recommend that no one buys their lemon cars. I want it fixed!

- , Portland, OR, USA

Mar 012013

Windstar LX 3.2V6

My van was recalled to have the rear axle replaced in Jan 2001--recall #10513. Instead, to save money, Ford put brackets on it. The brackets they put on were filled with mono foam which is full of moisture and can cause more rust. I contacted Ford and they refused to do anything about this problem. I feel that I am not the only person with this problem. Check to see if your vehicle had this recall as it is not holding up. I feel Ford is putting people's lives at risk for a few dollars.

- , Millville, N.B, Canada

Sep 172010

Windstar V6

Ford Motor Co will not give a definate plan. No time limit has been established to either fix (or how to fix) the van and the rental car given to us is costing us $3.30 a day for taxes. Ford offers $30 a day for a rental and $8 for ins. We pay yearly for our auto insurance and it covers rentals. We, therefore declined the $8 offer but Ford will not pay for the taxes. Without a definate date or fate of our vehicle, It costs $99 a month to keep the rental car. If we do not need the insurance provided by the rental co and Ford offered $8 for insurance, why can't they pick up the taxes? This is especially annoying because there is no limit on how long Ford can wait to make any decision regarding our vehicle.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jun 022010

Windstar LX 3.8L

rear axle cracked

I was searching for solutions to my ABS and Brake lights on my dash for a while when I find out about the cracking rear axles. Didn't have an issue with mine until a while later when the wife said its making a clunking noise over bumps going to the right. Looked and didn't see anything at the time. Heard it myself a week later, and then thought it was something else until I removed the source I THOUGHT it was. Still had it, so as I was at a gas station on concrete I went underneath and looked, which is when I took my picture. It was cracked 1/2 way from the back side towards the top, and up underneath all along the back side and going over towards the front. There's even a piece missing out of it from the inside area that I felt.

LUCKILY my friend has a 95 Windstar and I crawled under it today and looked at his axle, and it appears that it it built way better (and sturdier) so my search will be an older replacement. Undecided if I will remove the sealed hubs from my current axle and place them on the replacement older axle since those are grease-able. REGARDLESS, its something I have to do that I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO. I noticed my rear shocks are rusting apart as well, so it must be a Ford thing. I fear going underneath and having this thing fall on me from some other unknown rust out area.

- , Nanjemoy, MD, USA

Jun 222010

Windstar 3.8L

Same thing here. Just finnished a 800 km trip, where it was driving funny. Check out shocks, springs etc. (after the front springs breaking). Got home and Googled it. Sure enough, theres my problem.

After being a mechanic for 7 years, and selling cars for 20 years. I never would have thought it could happen. And yes I currently sell Fords.

- , Fort Frances, ONT, Canada

Jun 212010

Windstar SEL V6

click to see larger images

rear axle cracked rear axle cracked rear axle cracked rear axle cracked rear axle cracked rear axle cracked

I would like all Ford Windstar owners to know about a serious potential safety problem with this van. I was notified by by dealer of a cracked rear axle on my 2001 Windstar and upon further research located a NY Times Article: Ford Windstar Axles Bring Hundreds of Complaints, but No Inquiry.

According to my problem and the article," At least 200 owners of 1999 through 2003 Ford Windstar minivans have filed complaints about rear axles breaking, but the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has never opened a safety investigation" I registered my complaint with NHTSA and got an immediate inquiry into the problem.

I urge all Windstar owners to have their vehicle inspected immediately due to this safety hazard I knew nothing about until my dealer notified me when it was in for service on another unrelated issue and was told it was not safe to drive. As there is no current recall, I had to pay for the costly repair, but if you are a Windstar owner you should take immediate action. Please review the article and take care to address this as soon as possible. I felt it was important as there may be many families on the highway today, driving for summer vacations, to work or around town that may be at risk. I feel it is my responsibility to notify as many others this may impact.

William Koval

- , Wallingford, CT, USA

Jun 112010

Windstar Sport 3.8L V6

My Wife was complaining about rubbing noise mostly around corners. i finnally felt it while driving home and had the car feel like the back end was coming around on me. The next day took it for a good ride aroind town and every bump made the car jump. took rear wheels off and found the AXLE Beam cracked about two feet from the left rear wheel. It was not cracked in half but acouple of good hard bumps and it would have. I have not started pricing repairs yet but at least i can fix it myself.

- , Suffield, CT, USA

Apr 102010

Windstar LE 3.8L

click to see larger images

rear axle cracked rear axle cracked rear axle cracked

I was lucky --- the back end felt like it was floating when driving around town ---- local junk yard had the part for 125 - and about 5hrs of my labor.

- , Rochester, MN, USA

Apr 052010

Windstar SEL 3.8L

I had fortunately stopped on a whim for an oil change. The mechanic asked if I was hauling heavy items or towing heavy items and I explained that I had just towed my daughter's Porsche which is about 1800lbs and could be pushed onto the tow dolly. I was given a price of $1300 to fix so I left with the broken axle. Took it to a friend who was a retired Power-train engineer. He welded the broken seam after clamping and then put 3/16" steel plates over the same area. I am contemplating replacing the axle but beefing up the replacement before installation. Ford should have a recall on this as it could kill. We thought Toyota should have reacted faster... dah?

- , Wyandotte, MI, USA