2001 Ford Windstar steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 052013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The steering wheel then independently turned in a complete circle. The sub frame detached from the vehicle and dropped to the ground. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer and repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V030000 (structure). The dealer refused to replace the other components that were damaged as a result of the failure. The affected parts were the clock spring, exhaust flex pipe, power steering belt and transmission bracket, which had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. Updated 12/4/13

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Oct 072013

Windstar 6-cyl

My daughter was driving the Windstar at approximately 20 mph when she heard a noise and felt something break and she was unable to steer the vehicle and she was able to get the vehicle stopped. She exited the vehicle to see if she could see what the problem was. She noticed both front wheels were pointing in different directions. This vehicle was recalled in 2011 to have brackets placed to support the subframe. The vehicle was towed to a local garage. Upon inspection it was determined that the passengers side lower control arm had pulled out of the subframe.

- Waterford, VT, USA

Jul 222013

Windstar 6-cyl

Had the vehicle serviced for 2 corrosion recalls. Was driving on the freeway approx. 60mph, heard a pop in the area of the right front tire. Took van to the shop I use, where I was told it was part of the frame and need to take it to the dealership(blackwell Ford, Plymouth, mi. 48170). Dealership said the van needed a subframe assy. And right sway bar bushing bracket, and possibly more. All was due to corrosion, combination poor design and inferior material. They contacted Ford motor, sent estimate, pictures and information. Fords response is that it wasn't part of any recall, even though there has been at least two for corrosion that I am aware of. This is clearly a design and/or a material issue with my Windstar. It is not safe to drive, and there is no way, with my conscious that I can try to sell it. This is an ongoing issue with the Windstar. I'm sure this is part of hundreds if not thousands of complaints on this issue, what can be done" how many injuries or deaths have there been because of corrosion issue with the Windstar" help!!!!

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Mar 112013

Windstar 6-cyl

Stopped to get my oil changed, they showed me where the entire right front subframe has rusted away making my Windstar unsafe to drive. I looked online and found this is an ongoing problem with this model with of these having the same problem with the passenger side right front. This can cause you to loose steering control or in an extreme the engine to fall out going down the highway, Ford recalled the same problem on the rear axel, ,why not fix the front also. I live in arkansan but bought the windstorm from a person in Missouri where I see Ford list as a state with a rust problem but doing nothing to fix it.

- Clinton, AR, USA

Apr 112011

Windstar 6-cyl

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar that was serviced for the safety recall 11S16, (11V030000 NHTSA campaign number) 04/11/2011. My vehicle was grounded do to significant subframe rot but it was deemed repairable by Ford. On February 2, 2013 I noticed a 2 inch long crack/perforation on the top part of the sub-frame where the repair bracket was attached when I was rotating the tires. I took it back to the Ford dealership and they said they were unable to help because it was repaired once and they wont pay to have it repaired again. Im not sure if they missed this the first time it was fixed or what. I do know that according to Ford's specs for determining if a subframe is repairable or not this crack would deem in non-repairable because its within the 2 inch mark from the tooling hole. Now im just waiting for the subframe to completely crack while im driving down the road. The repair bracket that was supposed to solve the problem to begin with will not hold the subframe together if it completely cracks at the spot at which its located in. I also believe that due to downward force on the subframe body mount and the fact where the U shaped bracket is sitting on the subframe that holds the bracket on the subframe, it is acting like a fulcrum point where the subframe is bending and cracking.

- Camby, IN, USA

Nov 272012

• 1,053,821 miles
I took my van in for the 11S16 recall and now problems are taking place afterwards. I got my van back and now the check engine light is on and coolant is leaking everywhere.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Oct 292012

Windstar 6-cyl

Just 18-months after the Ford Windstar safety recall repairs were completed, the front sub-frame of my 2001 Ford Windstar cracked resulting in loss of stability. The vehicle was taken to the Ford dealership in midland Michigan. It was deemed unsafe to drive by the Ford dealership service manager and repair technician.

- Mattawan, MI, USA

Aug 162012

Windstar 6-cyl

Making a left turn, heard a loud bang. The sway bar link came loose attached to a chunk of rusted metal from the subframe. The sway bar and link are fine. It is a part of the subframe where it attaches to that came off. There is no way to reattach the sway bar as the whole section where it attaches to subframe is rusted. Called Ford dealer in ithaca, this is not covered by their recalls.

- Ithaca , NY, USA

Jul 082012

Windstar 6-cyl

On Sunday July 8th, 2012 I was driving my 2001 Ford Windstar I stopped at a light and as the light changed I began driving and then heard a loud noise, my wheels began to squeel and pull all over and my van came to a complete stop in the road and would not move.. the front passenger side wheel was turned outward but my wheel was straight. Thank god I was not on an expressway or highway with all my kids in the vehicle.. I called a tow truck the driver inspected it and said something underneath the front frame had snapped off.. so today I had it towed into a Ford dealer to find out it is a new recall how can these Windstar vans have so many frame and axle issues and be safe to drive exspecially with all these brackets they are having to put on them for the recalls.. if I was on an expressway me and my son would of been hurt badly if not killed.. not to mention if I would of hit someone else I could of injured others too..I will never trust another Windstar with my family this is crazy.. it is the subframe front lower control arm rear attaching flages completely broke/snapped off while I was driving down a basic 40 mph road..when it broke it messed up the underneath of my vehicle it ripped the drive shaft right out of the transmission.. and who knows what else is damaged now.. people need to know about this now before someone is seriously hurt..

- Wayne, MI, USA

Jun 012012

Windstar

Front sub-frame badly rusted and sway bar welded mounts on the sub-frame have rusted and broken in half causing poor steering control and excessive body roll. As a note, this vehicle was rustproofed when new and inspected over the life of the vehicle each year. Also, Ford has inspected the front sub-frame in January of 2011 on a recall and it appears did not find a problem with the sub-frame in this area. Given the severity of the rust it would appear the problem existed at the time of inspection.

- Fowlerville, MI, USA

Mar 152012

Windstar 6-cyl

Complete separation of the front lower control arm attaching bracket from the front sub frame on the passenger side of the vehicle. This is the same problem that is described in the NHTSA recall no. 11V030. And Ford recall no. 11S16. The dealer that inspected the vehicle said it was not covered by the recall because the vehicle was not purchased or registered in a (salt-belt) state.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jan 252012

Windstar 6-cyl

I am reporting my 2001 Ford Windstar limited for the same problems that have been recalled in the "salt belt states". I live in fauquier county, Virginia. This Windstar was originally bought at rick hunt Ford in warrenton, va and resided in the 20186 zip code until we bought it in 2005. It was traded into jerry's Lincoln/Mercury in manassas from whom we purchased it. We have lived in fauquier county the entire time we have owned this vehicle, in remington, va and now warrenton, va. I noticed in my regular maintenance that it appeared that the "front sub frame" was doing the same thing that others had complained of and ultimately was recalled in the "salt belt states". on 01/19/2012 what used to be rick hunt Ford and now is sheey Ford of warrenton, va looked at the "front sub frame". the service manager said that my concerns were correct about the "front sub frame", that it is doing what these vehicles were recalled for in the "salt belt states". he also said that the "rear axle" had a crack in it, also what they were recalled for in the "salt belt states". the results were that Ford would not take care of it even though it had the same problems that they recalled in other states. I contacted Ford customer service on 01/20/2012 and was told by the original person's supervisor that and I quote "Ford has agreed to add your vehicle to the recall list". I was to take the van back to sheehy so they could document everything and take care of it. I did so, dropped it off 01/23/2012. I called on 01/25/2012 to find out if it was ready that Ford would not take care of it since it had not been registered in a "salt belt state". I am requesting that the NHTSA look into these vehicles again and require Ford to recall the Windstar in all states. If you look around on the internet one can find people in almost every state who have the same problems. Thank you

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Dec 122011

Windstar 6-cyl

I was driving at 35mph when I heard a loud boom and my Windstar careened wildly back and forth and felt like I had slammed on the brakes. The Windstar could not even be driven to the shoulder. The tow truck driver said the subframe was broken and possibly the tie rods had broken as well. The front wheels were pointed outward in opposite directions.

- Northville, MI, USA

Jun 012011

Windstar

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V030000 (structure: Frame and members:underbody shields) and the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V385000 (suspension:rear:axle:non-powered axle assembly) and was taken to the dealer for repair. After the vehicle was repaired, the contact heard a grinding and a cracking sound in the front end of the vehicle while driving approximately 65 mph. The vehicle would also shake vigorously and the steering wheel began to turn on its own forcefully. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Hagerstown1, MD, USA

Mar 102011

Windstar

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the vehicle would exhibit a loud, abnormal noise when attempting a sharp turn at low speeds. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 145,000.

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

Mar 212011

Windstar

I was driving my van down the road at about thirty five. Heard a loud thunk and realized I was not accelerating anymore. The van stopped almost immediately after. Called a tow truck because I thought it was the transmission. After evaluating the damage we realized that the frame had broken where the wheel stabilizer arm mounts to the frame on the passenger side. Also my passenger drive shaft pulled out from the transmission. So in this repair it is going to take a sub frame. And the half shafts from transmission to wheel.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Dec 012010

Windstar

Front end steering, disturbing front end frame sound, ABS lights noticed ABS braking problem, brake light, od light, interior lights flash on and off intermittently when driving. Have to cut the van off and restart for to stop that only last awhile..took into dealer for recalls still dealing with electrical problem so forth. I never been so scared of an vehicle in my life.

- Mi, MI, USA

Jan 252011

Windstar

Vehicle is no longer drivable & is sitting at a Ford dealership service lot. Incident occurred on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at approximately 4:30pm. Vehicle front subframe cracked and passenger side tire separated from car while driving resulting in loss of control of vehicle. Car would not steer or move, could not be pushed out of traffic.

- Canton, MI, USA

Oct 112010

Windstar 6-cyl

2001 Ford Windstar 280,000 miles ne oh 10-11-10. Right side lower control arm separated from frame. 65 mph from left lane crossed 3 lanes rush hour traffic. No warning signs somehow no collision. Axle pulled from transmission. Replaced: Tire, axle, boots. Frame shop reinforced and straight frame, aligned front end. Repair damaged transmission cooling lines and required replacement.

- Warren, OH, USA

Dec 072010

Windstar 6-cyl

I have a Ford Windstar 2001 mini van and I live in New York state. On December 7th, 2010, as I was pulling left into a parking space I heard a loud cracking sound. (at first I thought I had rolled over a very large piece of ice) I again proceeded to pull in, but my car would not move. (engine was still on) I got out and found 3 of my tires facing left and 1 facing right. I called aaa and was preparing to have it towed to a mechanic. When the driver/mechanic from aaa, informed me that the lower control arm (drive arm) had tore away from the main frame (front axel) at the front of the car, and had tore away all of the driving mechanisms and would need a welder first, not a mechanic. So I had him take it to a local welder. He was able to find some clean metal to weld it back on and then recommended I take it to a mechanic to finish up with everything else that was needed. The mechanic told me that it would need a cv joint and the linkage for the transmission in order to have it working again. I have never had any issues with the engine, or transmission prior to this day. And the car has very little rust on it's body. So I would have never thought to look underneath for any. And because it was always maintained well, a mechanic was hardly ever under her to see if there was any possible damage either. She has less than 75,000 miles on her so I never expected this to occur. I have filed a report with Ford after the incident but all they could say was thank you and they'll make a not of it. And that the rear axel was on recall....but if that was the case, why not the front axel too"?"

- Depw, NY, USA