2002 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

Jul 012012

Windstar

The ABS light and emergency brake warning lights have been staying on. While the lights are on, I tested the ABS by attempting an emergency stop on wet roads. The ABS did not function and the vehicle was losing control. I've since hooked the vehicle to a diagnostic code reader and received multiple ABS codes. After researching online for others with similar problems, I am aware that multiple people are having problems with the ABS computer.

- Blaine, WA, USA

Jul 162013

Windstar 6-cyl

Driving at 60mph, got to stop sign and tried to stop and the brake pedal sank to the ground, I pulled emergency brake and pulled to side of road just missing car in front of me. Tried to pump brakes and just sank to ground each time. I checked brake fluid and it was full. Drove backwards a few times and hit brakes to stop to adjust rear brakes, not much change. Pumped brakes many times and seem to work after a few pumps. Drove a bit forward and to stop had to pump brakes and they worked. Drove home and brake pedal sank to ground, but pumping helped. After driving over 15min, brakes now work fine. Took to garage and the are not sure what problem is. They want to change the ABS module. The ABS light is now on" did not notice the ABS light on before. Not sure what the problem could be. Is there a recall for this" can't enter an address from Canada, picked a state and zip to enter my info. Thanks

- Stoney Creek, On, Canada, MA, USA

Mar 052013

Windstar 6-cyl

Vehicle brakes have failed on three different occasions in the last 4 months, road conditions have been wet on one occasion and dry on the other two. ABS and red brake light appear at the same time, but only intermittently. Dealership tells me it requires new electronic control unit and hydraulic control unit.

- Perryville, KY, USA

May 102012

Windstar 6-cyl

The brake light keeps turning on and off(ABS control module problem?). the power window on passenger's side had stopped working a few years ago.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Windstar

ABS and brake warning lights light up randomly and cruise control stops working. Main brakes still function. I see lots of similar complaints online. Had brakes repaired twice and the mechanic always mentions a loss of brake fluid. Even after that, the problem persists. I do not believe my VIN was ever part of the scds switch recall but I am suspicious this may be somehow related (?). if so, there could be risk of a fire and I do not feel safe. I'd like some answers before I spend any more money at local mechanic fixing this car. Calling Ford dealer tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 022012

Windstar

We bought our van in March 2012. By April 2012 we began noticing problems with shifting. It shifts hard. The windows stopped working in May 2012. The lights on the dash for the ABS and brakes are always on. The brakes are not very good and the pedal must be pushed hard to get the van to stop. Our biggest issue is with the transmission. The mechanic at aamco would not even change the fluid because if he changed the fluid then the transmission wouldn't be able to shift. I don't know the details but I do know that my van is not safe to drive.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jul 182011

Windstar 7-cyl

I purchased my 2002 Ford Windstar as a new vehicle and I have been the only owner and driver. It has received regular professional servicing and repairs and overall, is in superior condition. Since 2007 it has only been used on the weekends and I use a smaller car for work. A few years ago, the ABS light started coming on unpredictably and intermittently in rainy weather and the brakes would lose power dramatically increasing braking distances. Because the problem with braking was sporadic at first, the mechanic thought it was merely an electrical problem causing the ABS light to come on. The Ford service department said there were no recalls for such a problem. I have had the brakes replaced, and although the pads and rotors are in good condition, the braking problem has worsened. The ABS light and intermittent brake failure is much more frequent. I have recently learned that other Windstar owners have experienced the same problem and that Ford recalled 1999-2003 Windstar for ABS because the ECU master relay has a bad soldier joint that fails causing the intermittent contacts. When I brought that information to my Ford service manager, I was told the recall did not include my particular VIN. I am not sure how Ford determines which vins get recalled -- but I am sure that my vehicle should have been included. It is unsafe because the brakes are unpredictable at this point. It is scary to think that Ford would allow this known and serious defect in it's vehicles to go unaddressed.

- Delanco, NJ, USA

Jul 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

Alarm warning lights come on for ABS airbag and speedometer and tach fails.

- Elizabethtown, PA, USA

Jun 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and brake light have been on for months off and on. Have a slight brake fluid leak. Was backing into my driveway and the O/D light came on and started flashing, the odometer went blank, speedometer stopped working and the A/C began blowing hot air. Checked fuse #10 and found it was blown. Replaced fuse #10. Odometer and speedometer work but other lights still on. Have an appointment to have the van looked at tomorrow.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Aug 232005

• 4,193,097 miles
Transmission light in dash has been on for years now. Local dealers tell me there is nothing wrong. They take my money and don't fix the problem. ABS light is on. Parts were bought and replaced by the dealer with in a year light back on. Cruise control cut out replaced twice. Dealer cant figure these problems out but if enough of your own research is done there are ways to figure out what is going on. Even if the dealer can't front frame mounts are rusting so bad you can pull it apart with your hands certified safe from dealer.

- Delta, OH, USA

Apr 302012

• 8,167,584 miles

I have purchased a 2002 Windstar in April 2012, we noticed the ABS light and brake light would appear and we'd be low on brake fluid. We replaced the master brake cylinder but they said the sensor on bottom was unavailable to order, we called Ford and they told us the same thing. The sensor is full of brake fluid. We have to fill our brake fluid about once every 2 weeks in warm weather more often. When I took it into dealership for recall on axle I asked about this they said theres no recalls for it. I can not afford to purchase a new vehicle nor would I want to sell this vehicle to another person as it was sold to me without being told of problem. Is there going to be a recall on this?

- Peculiar, MO, USA

Oct 142012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights on dash came on for first time while driving at 45 mph, not using brakes, they just came on. They have been going off and on intermittently since. Seems to happen more when the car is warm. Can turn the car on to warm up and the 2 lights will be off at start-up. After a few minutes, both ABS and brake lights come on even though car is just idling and no one in the car! sometimes can drive 60 - 70 miles before the lights come on, sometimes they are on at start-up.

- Lake, MI, USA

May 212013

Windstar

Yellow ABS light and red brake warning light came on. ABS system is no longer functional.

- Somerville, NJ, USA

Feb 122013

Windstar 6-cyl

Check ABS light comes on along with check traction control and the hand brake lamp is illuminated. A code check reveals the code as C1185 - ABS relay. It is happening with increased frequency now. This happens sporadically under a variety of driving conditions. To clear it I pull over, turn off the engine; wait a few moments and restart the vehicle.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

Late April 28,2013 ABS and emergency brake warning lights came on and stayed on. May 1,2013 van's speedometer quit working.

- Independence, KS, USA

Apr 262013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light start flashing, lose cruise control, then over drive started flashing on the van, cut off O/D light still flashing.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 142011

Windstar

While traveling at highway speeds, noted that the ABS and brake lights illuminated on the instrument cluster. Checked fluids and pads and they appeared fine. Since that time, the lights intermittently come on. Front brakes have been replaced as well. Have had 3 independent shops look at the problem and all say that the ABS module has failed. When the lights are illuminated, ABS does not function. Vehicle now has approximately 80,000 miles (04/22/2013).

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Apr 202013

Windstar 6-cyl

I was taking the kids to the park today for a birthday party and I notice my ABS and my brake lights where on while driving. I pulled of to side of the road put the van in park and shut it off. I started the van an it was off this isn't the first time that this has happen. The first time that this has star was yesterday 4/20/2013 the van was in park and running for at least five minutes and they ( ABS and brake lights ) came on did the same thing shut the van off and restarted it and they where off the other time was later that night at a drive-thru van in gear foot on the brake pedal and the lights was on ( ABS and brake lights) don't know what is wrong but this need to get fix.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Oct 162012

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS and brake warning lamp comes on periodically for no known reason. There was a recall on brake lamp switch a few years back and now this concern exists.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Nov 232012

Windstar 6-cyl

Brought in van for recalls 09S09, 10S13 and 11S16. This was for the subframe issues and speed control switch. Speed control switch was supposed to address leaking brake fluid. Brake fluid still leaking and now dealership is charging me for brake switch repair and bleeding of brakes. Also ABS light came on after service and now dealership says ABS sensor needs to be replaced. I believe these are all related to original recall but dealership says no.

- Staten Island, NY, USA