2002 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 10 of 13)

Oct 152008

Ford Windstar 2002. Cruise control only engages intermittently. When cruise control is on, it will dis-engage abruptly for no reason. Yellow ABS dash light and red brake warning dash light go on intermittently (simultaneously). After they go on, they stay on until the car is turned off. The ABS system appears to still work correctly even when the yellow ABS light is on and the red brake light is on (although there is no way for the driver to tell if the ABS system and brake system are working correctly or not when the warning lights are on). My local Ford dealership diagnosed that the ECM control module needs to be replaced. This is an expensive electronic component with no moving parts, and there is no reason that this board should be failing. This is a common problem with 2002 Ford Windstar models. I believe Ford should be required to offer free diagnosis and repair for any problems related to ECM control modules for this model year. I first noticed the problem around October 2008 as the weather turned colder. This is consistent with a theory that the ECM board is sensitive to temperature changes, which affects the correct working of the cruise control and ABS systems. The cruise control mostly did not work during the winter 2008-2009. As warmer temperatures arrived in spring 2009, the cruise control started to work intermittently again. Sometimes it engages correctly, sometimes I push the "set" button repeatedly and finally it engages, sometimes I push the "set" button repeatedly and it will not engage. When it is engaged, it will dis-engage abruptly for no reason. I suspect sometimes it dis-engages because the car hit a bump in the road - but frequently it dis-engages with no bump in the road. Having the cruise control dis-engage abruptly for no reason is a safety issue and could easily result in an accident. Having the ABS system not work correctly (due to the ECM module) is a safety issue and could easily result in an accident.

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Apr 152005

I have been having problems with my 2002 Ford Windstar van for about three years or so. My brake light and ABS light stays on, I have leaking brake fluid, and my brakes squeaked sometimes. I also on two occasions had my odometer reading go out and because of this I was not able to keep track of my mph or my mileage. About three years ago I went to Ford about my brake problem and was told I needed new brakes I got those brakes and after that I still experienced brake/ ABS problems. I am a divorce mom of four and our lives are important and I need my van to get around. So, please look into this matter for our safety, as well as, for the safety of other families. Thank you

- Martinez, GA, USA

Jul 242009

Both the yellow and red brake light comes on. Bad anti-lock brake control unit.

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

Jul 022009

2002 Ford Windstar yellow ABS light on with red brake light intermittently, started last week. Checked with all brakes with no problem. Both brake and ABS work just fine.

- Davis, CA, USA

Apr 012009

ABS yellow and red brakes lights come on. Just adding my complaint to the list. Spent $400 to replace front axle they thought was the problem but is not. Happened at around 90,000 miles.

- Danville, IN, USA

Jul 092009

ABS and brake lights keep coming on. Cruise control not working. Speedometer, odometer and airconditioning have also stopped working. Due to short in the cruise control disable switch aka brake pressure differential deactivation switch located under the master cylinder caused from brake fluid leaking onto it. This in turn blew the #10 fuse. This switch is covered with brake fluid and could start a fire at any time. I have stopped driving it until I can replace the switch and clean off the brake fluid.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 072009

ABS and brake light on intermittently. Took to dealership and told that the following codes were showing up: C1185, C1242, C1198, C1254, C1250. They replaced the ba control at a cost of $981.21.

- Draper, UT, USA

Apr 252007

2002 Ford Windstar yellow ABS light on with red brake light.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 232009

This happened to my 2002 Ford Windstar minivan. I pulled in my drive way and my car was pouring dark gray smoke. I turned off the car and popped the hood. The smoke began to dissipate and I discovered the source of the smoke was coming from a "plug" underneath the master cylinder for the brakes. It continued to smoke for about an hour then it stopped. When I tried to start the car again the odometer was blank, the speedometer would not register and all the brake lights (on the dash warning lights) were on. It is at the shop, they say fuses are also blown and I am already $180 into the repair, but if the ABS computer does not go back on I will have to take it to the dealership!!!!

- Parma, OH, USA

May 132009

Brake pressure differential deactivation switch leaking fluid and causing complete failure of breaking system.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 012008

2002 Ford Windstar brake pressure differential deactivation switch developed a leak resulting in significant brake fluid loss and deactivation of cruise control functionality.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 222009

I have a persistent problem with the red brake light and the ABS light illuminating on the dashboard of my 2002 Ford Windstar. Through on line research I have discovered that the issue is leaking brake fluid that can cause a fire. I do not understand why Ford has not recalled the vehicles to repair the problem. I confirmed with Ford today that there is no such recall. I am having the problem repaired tomorrow and would like to see the NHTSA take action against Ford on this issue.

- Forest, VA, USA

Jan 012009

I own a 2002 Ford Windstar that continues to have issues with the "brake" and "ABS" lights lighting on my dash. This issue does not seem to affect stopping and is not constant but is intermittent. Not trouble codes are registered in the on board computer.

- Irving, TX, USA

Mar 012009

The ABS, brake, and trac active lights come on intermittently. They don't come on during some trips, come on during some trips and stay on until the car is turned off. Anytime the lights are on, the ABS system does not work. Evidently this is caused by an aluminum plate that when warm (during summer months or after being driven for a while) expands and interferes with the connection.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Mar 092009

2002 Ford Windstar w/ABS. The amber ABS warning light and red brake warning light come on simultaneously. I had the electronic hydraulic controlunit scanned for error codes and it was determined that the above reference electronic hydraulic control unit was defective. The error codes were C1185, C1233, C1235, C1236, U1262, C1446. It appears that Ford intentionally built into the 2002 Windstar an intentional expensive failure mechanism in which the aluminum heatsink in the above mentioned electronic hydraulic control unit stresses the cheap circuit board in the same unit causing the circuit board to fail. Worse yet, Ford charges approximately $1000 just for the new electronic hydraulic control unit. Then you must pay them to download the software into the part, and then the part must be installed at a huge labor cost. These are brakes and therefore this is a very serious safety hazard. Further, as I know you are aware, this is an extremely wide spread problem costing consumers thousands of dollars each for this vehicle obsolescence that was intentionally designed in by Ford. It is my hope that you will force Ford to recall these dangerous and faulty vehicles. Thank you, michael S. edwards

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 092009

Ford Windstar sel 2002 after approx 1 hr of driving, the brake and ABS warning lights would illuminate and the check traction control message would flash on the information display. Problem would usually resolve after being left over night. The frequency of the intermittent failure would increase as weather got warmer. Eventually it would occur directly at first start in the morning.

- Pleasant Ridge, MI, USA

May 012008

Brake pressure differential deactivation switch leaking causing loss of brake fluid and fluid has wicked into cruise module and ABS module causing red brake light, ABS light, intermittent speedometer and odometer, complete lack of cruise control, loss of ABS function. Replaced bpdds, cruise control now sometimes functional, no other problems fixed. Damage caused by leaking fluid still present.

- Lake View, NY, USA

Apr 052009

Intermittent fault in the ABS system that causes the ABS and traction control system to disengage. Fault causes "ABS" "brake" and trac off" indicators to turn on. Fault seems to happen more frequently in warmer temperatures.

- Lansing, MI, USA

May 122009

2002 Ford Windstar: The brake pressure differential deactivation switch (2B264) located under the master cylinder (behind the air filter) over time developed a leak that lead to a fire. The leaky switch at worst causes a fire at the point where it connects to the ABS ECM module. The car was off. I was standing nearby when a big pop and a great deal of smoke started coming out from under the car. When I looked under the car, there was a small fire. I used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

May 012009

The brake pressure cruise deactivation switch on my 2002 Windstar has leaked brake fluid down onto the wiring below the brake master cylinder. I have purchased the replacement switch from my nearest Ford dealer. But now my cruise control does not work, and the horn does not work, and the ABS and brake warning lights come on intermittently.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA