2002 Ford Windstar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 262013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light start flashing, lose cruise control, then over drive started flashing on the van, cut off O/D light still flashing.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 202010

Windstar

My 2002 Ford Windstar van gear shift pin keep coming up and I have to take it to a shop so they can put the pin back in 3 times. My gears do not shift right it shifts hard. I brought this van brand new in 2003. Also my air bag light stays on the avis Ford body shop said my sensor is rusted out, also my ABS light stays on. I don't feel these things should go out. I have had many Ford vehicle brand new for years and never had these problems. I still got to get these things repair. I also had two front windshield wiper motors put in and the wipes are still not right. Is there any help out there.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 032011

Windstar 6-cyl

The 1st problem, had a check engine light on my 2001 Ford Windstar, C1518 "intake manifold runner control stuck open." After reading forums, most pointed to a plastic "bushing" clip coming off leaving a control arm 2nd problem, ABS chk light and brk chk light come on after driving for a few minutes, ABS module and ABS sensor went out.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 272012

Windstar 6-cyl

While on vacation, we were driving slowly, looking at a lake on a gravel road, as we started up a small hill, the van revved up, and began slowing down. It rolled to a stop and did not move again. We had to be towed to the nearest town, we were informed we needed a new tranny. Had to rent a car. Found out the repair shop did not have all the equipment to flush the transmission cooling system, and had to have it towed again to a transmission shop. The tranny shop said we could get by with a torque converter, and repaired it.

- Boyden, IA, USA

Sep 012011

Windstar

The antilock brake system light as well as the traction control lights keep coming on. Garage can't tell the exact cause. The booster arm busted, keeping the brakes engaged as driven. The booster arm was replaced and the lights are still on. I reset it, and they reappear after a short time. I now smell the brakes when applied. I've had engine replaced at 101,000 miles, two transmissions, multiple brake jobs, rear axle repaired, front axle repaired, front tie rods repaired. The alignment on my vehicle could only be partially completed.... toe, and another alignment done, but the complete alignment would need a hole drilled in the frame and a bolt moved over - bad design by Ford. I've also had to have the oxygen sensor replaced at my own expense. The vehicle is a ticking time bomb, piece of crap.

- Pomfret, MD, USA

Jun 192011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake lights on, after research, its a common problem with faulty ABS modules. Subframe is rotting out with the mounting points of the subframe peeling away. O/D light coming on intermittently, after research, common problem points back to a bad vehicle speed sensor. Mileage does not seem to be a factor. Faulty hard lines for rear heating. Multiple cracks in lines cause radiator fluid loss. Very very common problem, looked at 10-15 Windstar in pull-A-parts lot, all with faulty hard lines.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Jul 272012

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, he felt something break near the rear of the vehicle. The contact exited the vehicle and noticed that the rear axle was broken. The contact notified the dealer and they stated that the VIN was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 12V193000 (power train:axle assembly). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 178,000.

- Plam City, FL, USA

May 082012

Windstar 6-cyl

Transmission started making crunching noises and still does, cant drive it because it is getting worse.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 252012

Windstar 6-cyl

Purchased this vehicle in January 2012 and have had nothing but problems with it. According to Ford all recalls have been done on this vehicle but here is a list of the issues with the van: ABS light comes on, check engine light comes on, van has no cruise control at all, and last Friday I could not put the van in gear. After the Ford dealership "repaired" the solenoid for the van now all of a sudden there is currently no rear brake lights. This van is less than safe to be on the road and have seen that some of the recalls would have solved the speed control issue but the Ford factory will not answer any of my questions. Take a look online and you will see thousands of people with the same issues we are having and it was brought to the attention of Ford that we are having the same issues as thousands of other people so this is beyond a problematic vehicle.the vehicle is currently sitting at the local Ford dealer while they try and figure out what is wrong with the light system. This vehicle has been in the shop twice since we have owned it and this is costing us hundreds (so far) to fix issues that everyone with this vehicle is having. The latest issues have led to us being without a vehicle for almost a week and we have a disabled child in the home and this is unacceptable.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Jan 132012

Windstar

I was on high way, 35 mph and my car unexpected loss of motive power. So I was unable to go to the emergency line, my mechanic put a new torque converter and fix the problem, the was in January 13 2012, cold weather.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Nov 082010

Windstar

I was on high way, 45 mph and my car unexpected loss of motive power. So I was unable to go to the emergency line, my mechanic put a new torque converter and fix the problem, the was in November 2010, cold weather.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Dec 042011

Windstar 6-cyl

The incident occurred just after 9:00 pm on Sunday evening (12/4/11) when I was backing this car to a road in the parking lot of princeton alliance church, plainsboro, New Jersey. I turned on the engineer and put the shift gear on reverse and immediately heard big noises of grinding/snapping sounds. I could not control the car and felt that I hit a car behind me. I turned off the engine and realized that I did not hit the car behind me. A gentlemen in the same parking lot came to me and said from his experience this was a transmission failure. He and our family members pushed the car back to the parking position and relieved the traffic after a holiday concert. I am scared to think if this incident happened on a highway. I also felt lucky that this happened in a parking lot.

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

Apr 012011

Windstar

Check engine light on - 2002 Ford Windstar - seems to be common complaint online service bulletin issued in 2003 - diagnostics says it's the O2 sensor, this is not the case vehicle idles erratically at stops - some hesitation - now hesitates and runs bad in rain I've replaced the transmission twice - engine once - crappy vehicle.

- Pomfret, MD, USA

Jul 222010

Windstar 6-cyl

This is an addition to ongoing defect investigation #PE10016. I have a 2002 Ford Windstar. The rear axle housing "cracked in half" as I was driving on a highway, but luckily at a low speed in traffic. There was no warning, no accident and no pot holes. My tire began to smoke and the vehicle was inoperable. After the tow truck came I looked underneath the car and noticed the axle split completely in two.

- Lindenhurst, NY, USA

Jun 152010

Windstar

Brake light (red) and ABS brake lights (yellow) stay on. I went to replace fuse #10 and it keeps blowing out. Speedometer and odometer do not function. Cruise control does not work. A/C does not work. The O/D light flashes after about 30 seconds after the vehicle starts and continues to blink until the vehicle is shut off. I took it into a Ford dealership today to have them perform the 09S09H recall and it did not change anything. All issues seem to be associated with this 'leaker' scds that was replaced, but that caused further damage to the ABS ECM unit causing it to fail.

- Jefferson, OR, USA

May 212010

Windstar 6-cyl

I heard unusual noises from underneath my 2002 Ford Windstar. I brought it to a mechanic who examined the rear axle and determined that it was cracked.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Aug 082009

Windstar

I pulled into driveway and put car in park and went into back of my Windstar to check to see if the aircontioning vents were working per the request of my son. I was back there for several minutes. I got out and was standing outside the drivers open front door to turn off car. My son was in back seat with his door open and out of seat belt. While standing next to open door my car started to back out of drive way while it was in park. I tried to stop it with my arm by trying to jump into car to turn it off since my son was in car. It kept rolling down my driveway as I tried to catch car. It stopped by crashing into my neighbor's car that was parked in the street. The car was still in park.police came. Filed claim with insurance company. I went to hospital for my foot that was dragged on pavement during my pursuit to catch my car. I notified the dealer and they told me to contact Ford directly. I filled out claim and I just received letter saying they can't determine if there was a defect. I read in the paper last week this happened to a woman with a Ford Expedition but her car ran over someone. Also a Ford serviceman just said keep putting emergency brake on and never get out of car with car running. I was also told I cant' have it checked out because Ford wants original parts and won't pay for anything until we can prove a defective part. I am very concerned about the safety of my vehicle. Since the accident, I have been following the Ford's service man's advice by always making sure parking break is on and not allowing anyone to get out of the car until it is turned off. I have two children and need my car checked immediately. It is very fortunate that no one was outside playing when my car starting backing down the driveway while in park.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Aug 092008

Windstar

My 2002 Ford Windstar van is not supposed to be able to shift out of park without first pressing and holding the brake. My 2 yr old son was able to shift it out of park by simply pulling on the gear shift lever. This resulted in the car rolling down a hill and smashing into a tree with my son inside. He was not hurt. The car was a total loss according to my insurance co. The car was in park and the engine was not running at the time of the accident. I have been in contact with Ford Motor Co but I only get generic responses. My insurance co is holding the vehicle until a rep from Ford has a chance to examine the shift lock mechanism but they seem uninterested. I have seen on line where there are two other similar cases regarding Ford Windstar vans and I believe this could be a serious safety issue.

- South Portland, ME, USA