2002 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Jun 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving the ABS and brake light will illuminate at the same time within the instrument cluster. While the lights are on, the ABS system is inoperable and braking distance is reduced. Problem is intermittent. When driving the problem will show up and after turning off the engine and restarting, the lights will go out. Issue happens again within a few days/week later.

- Limerick, PA, USA

Dec 202013

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS and brake lights come on randomly all the time since I got it in Dec 2013.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Aug 282008

Windstar 6-cyl

Back in 2008 my ABS and brake lights would come on while driving to work. I had the problem looked at at my local Ford dealership. They diagnosed the problem as the ECU/hcu control box. But because my extended warranty did not want to pay for the $1200 bill because they felt that only the electronic side and not the hydraulic side needed to be replaced. So I then went to another Ford dealer and they diagnosed and replaced only the electronic side. There were 3 times that I had to pay the $100 deductible to have the same problem diagnosed, which was eventually fixed(no more lights) by the second dealer. Then in June of 2013, now with 116,563 miles on it, my gauge cluster started to act funny. All of a sudden when I was driving, the gauge needles would move out of control. Eventually the tac needle pegged itself all the way to the right and the speedometer quit working. I took it to the Ford dealer and they replaced the gauge cluster with a rebuilt one for $789. Since that time I have not had any more issues with the gauge cluster. I was told by the tech that this is a common problem with the Windstar. I also have a 2001 Ford Windstar that has 105,000 miles on it that I am thinking about selling so I don't have to endure the cost of a gauge cluster in it. Also along with having to replace fuel pumps in both vehicles at a cost of around $1000 each I am wondering if Ford has a good product. Thanks for your time.

- Middleton, WI, USA

May 172013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights on dash on due to ECU and hcu failure.

- Hilton , NY, USA

Jan 012009

Yellow ABS and red brake lights come on. O/D light flashes. Resets when car is turned off, but the ABS and brake light come on shortly after staring to drive. Had brake fluid leaking from the master cylinder and had that replaced. Brakes work and fluid level is fine. When O/D light is flashing, car jerks on first transmission shift. Have to turn off car and restart to get rid of flashing O/D light.

- Fishers, IN, USA

May 202014

Windstar 6-cyl

My vehicle was taken in to ace Ford in woodbury, NJ as part of a series of recalls. The 09S09 speed control campaign was one and they did the fixes as well as the rear axle. After getting my vehicle I noticed my ABS light was on, my odometer has all dashes, my brake light is on, my speedometer does not work and my O/D light blinks fast constantly. Service was closed at the time so I drove it home. Upon driving every bump I hit it felt like my back end was going to fall off. I took it back the next day on May 21st, 2014 and complained about the issues. They did not seat my rear axle properly and they say they fixed it. As for my dashboard issues, I was told that the 09S09 speed control was installed and it then made another part fail. They said (dealer and corporate Ford), they will not replace it for free. I have to pay $390 for the part and then labor. I have been in talks with Ford to no avail. I did some minimal research on the internet and found many other people have had the same issue. Ford will not replace the part.

- Wenonah , NJ, USA

Apr 022014

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and brake lights came on just two weeks after I purchased my Windstar. They would come on and off intermittently over the course of the next few weeks. I took the car to a mechanic and was told it was my ECU master relay which cost me almost $1000 dollars. After a few days the lights came back on again I took it back the mechanic and he said that maybe the part was faulty and he would provide me another. To which I asked for a refund because that was a brand new part it has to be more then the part.

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 092014

Windstar 6-cyl

All of the following happened at the same time: ABS and brake lights went on and stay on. O/D light flashing. Odometer and speedometer stop working. The electronic compass, remaining fuel info., automatic electronic diagnostic and electronic temp. Showing errors. Electronic sliding door would not open unless engine is not running. Power windows stopped working 6 months ago, not sure if it is related. I had a mechanic replaced the alternator and checked the brakes. It did not fix the problems and there was nothing wrong with the brakes. I took it to Ford dealer and I was told that the ABS module could be the problem because they replaced a lot of them. The ABS module supposedly messing up the whole electronic system. It has less than 65,000 miles and I'm scared to drive it because the electronic system might suddenly cause other problems and cause an accident. The electronic sliding doors already would not open unless the engine is not running. In case of an emergency or a crash, someone might not be able to get out and be trapped inside because the doors and windows would not open. I was told by a Ford customer service that there is no recall to fix the problem or look into it even though they admitted they've been having similar problems to a lot of Ford vehicles.

- Navarre, FL, USA

May 162013

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the brake lights and turning signals failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed with a fractured electric module, which was replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,581 and the current mileage was 121,000.

- Dever, CO, USA

Jun 162006

Windstar 6-cyl

On June 16, 2006, while vehicle was parked in a parking lot, someone informed us that my 2002 Ford Windstar was smoking from under the hood. An internal fire occurred, damaging the wiring harness and windshield wiper motor. Unaware to the cause of said fire the damaged parts were replaced. Then other problems started to arise, the vehicle cruise control stopped working, the ABS/brake light remained on and the speedometer was not working properly (not accurately reading). The local Ford dealer was informed of the before-mentioned problems including the internal fire that had occurred, at the time of the initial brake pressure deactivation switch recall. The dealer stated that the brake pressure deactivation switch indeed was leaking and that they supposedly checked the ABS control module. Still the ABS/brake light remained on and the speedometer did not work properly. On 3/14/14 the Windstar was taken to a local garage to diagnose the ABS/brake issues again. It was determined that said unit needed to be replaced. The ABS module was subsequently removed and examined the control module (3/21/2014). The ABS module suffered an internal fire and the wiring harness connector was melted and damaged. Also found was evidence of significant burning around the pins at the connections. This evidence included the blackened fluid, severe discoloration, and lifted traces, all of which are clearly apparent in photos of the module interior. The local dealer refused to repair or replace the module under the recall claim, stating that it was not part of the recall, and that said recall was closed. Ford has been negligent in this matter and luckily the vehicle prior to today, has not become a runaway fire event and burned to the ground!! at this time the vehicle has not been repaired, and is sitting idle. I have kept the damaged control module for examination.

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

Feb 132014

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the vehicle would exhibit a loud noise when started. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic, who stated that the starter was hanging and the housing of the transmission was fractured. The contact was advised that the engine, starter motor and transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 61,000.

- Fairlawn, NJ, USA

Aug 142012

***********updated information from ODI number:10554248************ ABS and brake warning lights on the dashboard came on and when codes were retrieved, it was C1185, ABS power relay output circuit fault. My wife just informed me that when the lights came on, she could feel the brakes be applied just a little on its own (without pressing the brake pedal) for about a second or two. Had the codes cleared and the same code came back on a short time later with same reaction from brakes.

- Tyner, NC, USA

Aug 142012

ABS and brake warning lights on dashboard came on and when codes were retrieved, it was C1185, ABS power relay output circuit fault.

- Tyner, NC, USA

Nov 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights come on intermittently. I applied the brakes heavily and all 4 wheels locked up. The vehicle was uncontrollable while braking. The speedometer is erratic. The battery is dead sometimes after sitting overnight. The hazard lights come on by them selves. The door locks do not work properly. The tire indicator lights come on for no reason.

- Golden, MS, USA

Sep 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS, track off, brake light indicators, and check traction control intermittently illuminate. They remain on until the key is turned off, and then reset. The frequency is intermittent and not measurable. Initial checks have no results as the lights are out when checked by a repair shop.

- Round Hill, VA, USA

Nov 122013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights have been turning on intermittently, when on ABS is not functional. Today on minimally slippery roads lights came on, ABS needed at an icy stop sign, did not come on. Rear ended the car in front of me. No damage to other car, front bumper on my car now cracked. ABS still not working.

- Ostrander, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

The gas gauge stopped working followed by the power sliding doors, interior lights, keyless entry, all rear lights and the rear auxiliary heater. After checking the internet I found out that it was the rear control module. I tried to purchase one from several Ford dealers and was told that the part was obsolete and no one had any. I was told to try to purchase one from a junk yard. I purchased one and had to have it programmed, after having it programmed I still do not have rear heat/ac keypad entry or power sliding doors. I was told by the dealer that there is no way to test the module. With so many systems, especially rear lights(tail, brake, turn and reverse) depending on one part that it should be available for more than 11 years.

- Kettering, OH, USA

May 312013

Windstar 6-cyl

During normal driving both the brake warning light and the anti-lock brake warning light will come on and stay on. They don't always come on but if they do they don't shut off till you turn the ignition off. We never know if it's a real brake problem or just an electrical glitch.

- Bremen, IN, USA

Aug 102013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light illuminated and experienced a burning electrical smell. Fuse#10 was popped and lost dash functionality. Went to Ford today 8-14-13 and had recall 09S09 work performed and that did not fix the problem. My wife and I believe their is a serious electrical problem with the ABS electrical control module, due to issues related to the recall 09S09. We hope that the van does not erupt into a fire. We still can smell an electrical burning smell.

- Whitesburg, GA, USA

May 102012

Windstar 6-cyl

The brake light keeps turning on and off(ABS control module problem?). the power window on passenger's side had stopped working a few years ago.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA