2002 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Aug 012010

Sometimes the parking brake, ABS, and trac off lights will come on and stay on until the car is shut off. This will sometimes happen 2 or 3 times a day, and sometimes not happen for several days. Brake fluid levels are fine. Mechanic found codes C1185, C1194, C1198, C1210, C1214, C1242, C1246, C1250, C1254, C1404, U1260, and U1261. He cleared the codes for me and 2 days later the lights started coming on again. From info online, this could be related to the recall of the speed control system modification (I have not had that repair done yet).

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 012009

Windstar 6-cyl

The antilock brake light went on in my 2002 Ford Windstar. I took it to the Ford dealer, and they said it was the left front speed sensor. About 6 months later, the lights went on again - intermittently. They went on more and more as the weather got hotter, mostly when the engine is warm. I took it to a different repair shop to analyze the codes. It has too many error codes to list, which the mechanic says is an indication of an ECU failure. This shouldn't be happening! I am driving around with three kids in this vehicle, with no antilock brakes. It is going to be scary when winter comes and the snow and ice driving begins. I have to drive it like this though, because this is an expensive repair ( over $1,000)!!! the antilock brake lights have been on now for over 6 months straight.

- Boston, NY, USA

Jan 152010

ABS and brake lamp still on after recall for 2002 Ford Windstar.

- Mcmurray, PA, USA

Jul 112010

The morning of July 11, 2010, the ABS control module on our 2002 Windstar suffered an internal fire due to brake fluid leaked from the bad switch, resulting in a loss of proper brake function and no readings from the speedometer, tachometer, and odometer (as well as multiple warning lights). This occurred several weeks after having had the brake pressure deactivation switch recall performed (NHTSA campaign id 09V399000, action number EA08021). The local Ford dealership which had performed the initial recall work refused to repair or replace the module under the recall or as a warranty claim, stating that it was not part of the recall, nor was it apparently damaged at the time of the brake switch repair. I subsequently removed, opened and examined the control module (8/28/2010), and found blackened brake fluid present inside the module at the connector pins. I also found evidence of significant burning around the pins at the connections to the printed circuit board. This evidence included the blackened fluid, severe discoloration, and lifted traces, all of which are clearly apparent in photos of the module interior. Luckily, it appears that an internal trace burned through and interrupted the fault current prior to the failure becoming a runaway fire event. At this time the vehicle has not been repaired, and is sitting idle. I have kept the failed control module for examination as necessary.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Nov 182009

My ABS light keeps coming on and my emergency comes on at different times and when iy does my speedometer does not work at all. It is in a 2002 Ford Windstar. I had it back last winter for a recall repair and if anything the problem has gotten worse.

- Sidney Center, NY, USA

May 012010

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact was driving 25 mph when the anti-lock braking system (ABS) warning light illuminated. The dealer was contacted and the contact was advised to check the brake fluid levels. The contact was able to restart the vehicle as it resumed normal operation. The failure persisted intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where the contact was advised that the computer could possibly the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000 and the current mileage was 76,807.

- Marysville, CA, USA

Aug 192010

2002 Ford Windstar. ABS/brakes fail. Loud whirling sound and then no brakes. The car seems to accelerate. No brakes. Ford said that my ABS computer went out. It has been in the Ford dealership 4 times and they can't fix it. Now my stepson has the vehicle and it happened to him yesterday and he almost ran into the garage. NHTSA has been notified by several Ford owners. Recall this vehicle before it is more than a fender bender.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jul 202010

Sudden increase in braking distance. This happens intermittently but always seems to happen when ABS, traction control, and brake light come on. Occasional slight smell of burning usually on hotter days. Longer braking distance has almost cause me to rear-end a car and/or stop for a pedestrian in a cross-walk. Only because I always leave plenty of distance away from cars in front of me and watch closely for pedestrians has an accident been avoided. I have not had the problem repaired because our Ford dealership told me it would cost $800 just for ABS electronic control unit and 8 hours(@$125/hr) to install the new unit. Also, I was told a new speed control unit would need to be replaced. I am simply not in a financial decision to get these items fix. I am concerned that these issues may result in an accident or a fire or both.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Jul 302010

Braking distance suddenly increased.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Jul 312010

Windstar 6-cyl

On our 2002 Windstar van, every now and then it takes longer distance for brakes to work properly, especially if it is raining. Under the recall campaign, some time ago, wire harness/fuse link was replaced by a Ford dealer. We seems to have the same problem of ABS and brake lights come on and go intermittently. We had the brakes checked, and everything seems to be ok. Brakes taking longer distance to apply and it is very unpredictable, scary and to get used to it. I do not know what to do?

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Jun 062010

I have had a continual brake fluid leak on this vehicle. In addition, while driving the vehicle on 06/06/2010, the ABS light and brake light suddenly came on. In speaking with our Ford mechanic (Ford dealer), he referenced how this has been an issue on many Windstar. The ABS light and brake fluid leaks, according to him, has been a point of concern. Is anything being done about this?

- Rosemount, MN, USA

Jul 132010

Windstar 6-cyl

On 12/09/09 I had the recall 09S09 speed control campaign recall performed at feduke Ford @ 2200 vestal parkway E. vestal, NY 13850 on my 2002 Ford Windstar. After the recall was performed I am experiencing very frequent ABS/brake light indicators on the dash warning light system. The van was taken back to feduke Ford for diagnosis on 07/15/10. The result of the diagnosis was a faulty ECU relay that is built into the electronic control unit. Said repair estimate was approximately $842. With the ABS /brake warning lights on I do not have ABS brakes. These lights are on frequently and this is my family vehicle. I have done online research and have discovered this is a very common problem with these vans. My wife and children use this van and I am very concerned that this issue is not being corrected by Ford since this is such a common problem/defect. During the week prior to 07-15-2010 I had to stop quickly for backed up traffic on sr 434 and since I had no ABS my braking distance was increased and the overall braking ability of the van was not what it would have been had the ABS system been functioning properly.

- Vestal, NY, USA

Jul 132010

2002 Ford Windstar LX, problems with dashboard include sudden appearance of ABS and brake light while driving. And then at times the speedometer, and other gauges on dash board stop working or turn rapidly from one end to other and get stuck at a wrong reading. For example I am driving at 35 miles per hour and my speedometer is stuck at 80.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Jun 272010

Windstar 6-cyl

2002 Windstar received recall to fix fire problem but now I'm having issues. ABS/brake/traction control warning lights on and message board says check trac control. Online forums I've read seems to suggest this is an ongoing problem with a defective E.C.M. it was sporadic at first, but now a constant occurrence. Please have fomoco deal with this quality defect so I do not have to fork out any money I do not have to spend.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 232010

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar minivan. I took the van to the local dealership to have my traction control checked because the lights(ABS, brakes, trac off) on the dash come on and stay on. This vehicle does not have any current recall orders and the dealership confirmed that. I had them check my van to find out why the lights are staying on. This is what I was told, they said that my hydraulic control unit (hcu)is leaking fluid onto my ECU (ABS control module computer) shorting the system out. They told me the way to fix this problem is to replace the ECU(ABS control module computer) which cost $2000. How is replacing the computer going to fix the leak? according to records the recall 09S09 (scds) was repaired on this vehicle. This concerns me because their is still fluid(brake) leaking onto a electronic component which poses as a fire hazard. According to complaints I have read this is a common concern for many other Windstar owners. The ABS issues are directly related to the leaking scds(recall 09S09). I am going to personally check the leak to verify the proximity of the location of the leak to the scds. I feel this may be a issue Ford has to address. Please note I have sent a memo to them first, and I hope to receive a response. I will not hold my breath though.

- Fayetteville, OH, USA

May 262010

Windstar 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar that the brake light and ABS light stay on. I am told by my mechanic that the electronic control module is no good and needs to be replaced. The brakes do not function properly now on the van and it is a hazard to drive.

- Salina, KS, USA

Jun 152010

I was driving home from work when the low brake fluid light came on. I was headed to pull over when the dashboard went crazy. Said that the ABS was bad, right brake light needed to be checked, traction control error, check transmission, mileage was gone only --------- listed, A/C stopped working, said fuel data computer error, speedometer was out. I am taking it to Ford tomorrow to have the vehicle speed control replace and I believe this is what is causing this problem. The brake fluid may be leaking on everything because I did small a burning smell.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 082010

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light on the dashboard of my 2002 Ford Windstar mini-van is on all the time. The Ford dealer told me that I would have to replace the ABS module for a price of $750 plus labor to correct this. Then I received a letter from Ford stating a recall involving the cruise control mechanism was needed to make my Windstar safe from a possible fire. I had Ford do the no-cost fix which amounted to a jumper wire with a fusible-link. However, this did not fix the existing ABS problem. Now, my speedometer is not functioning properly. I have read up on this problem and find that many Windstar mini-vans manufactured between 1999 and 2003 have had similar problems and they all are related to the ABS system. I believe that Ford should completely fix these problems and owners should not have to pay an amount exceeding $1000 to do so. These problems were apparently inherent in these model years and repairs or replacements should be the responsibility of Ford, not the vehicle owners. I can still drive my Windstar but will have to have the speedometer problem fixed at a minimum (if that is possible singularly). Not having the ABS problem fixed may lead to further complications, but I cannot afford these costly repairs at this time.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Mar 282010

Windstar 6-cyl

2002 Windstar ABS/brake lights come on then suddenly braking distance increases. Was told by dealer it is an ongoing issue with this model that ABS modules overheat and fail. Very dangerous!!!

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 202010

Windstar 6-cyl

2002 Ford Windstar - the ABS light comes on (typically when the van is warm). Recall 09S09 has been performed but has had no effect on the ABS light coming on issue.

- Brodhead, WI, USA