2002 Ford Windstar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Feb 192014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and traction control light illuminates after driving forward 150 yards. Heavily salted Chicago streets have caused corrosion under car. Suspect ABS failure due to salt and water corrosion in electrical connectors. High amperage ABS electrical wires could short- out and cause a fire; an environmental, pollution and safety issue.

- Alsip, IL, USA

Dec 122014

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while reversing at low speeds, there was an abnormal noise and the engine detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the bolts that support the tray for the engine and the frame were corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Jul 202014

Windstar 6-cyl

I was driving the van this afternoon on a public road when for no apparent reason the van started smoking from under the engine. I pulled into a automotive garage and got out of the van and it was still smoking badly. I individual who actually worked at the garage was on his way home from a restaurant and pulled into the parking area. He had me go into the vehicle to pull the latch to the hood and when he opened the hood the engine and other parts were engulfed with flames. They spread into the inside of the van and destroyed the dash board, windshield and other area. The roof on the inside was melting. They were able to put out the fire but the van is destroyed. The individual who stopped and helped me out is a mechanic at that particular garage and said it looked to him like a electrical problem started the fire. I am now without a vehicle. Personal items I had inside the van are ruined or destroyed.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Apr 172013

Windstar 6-cyl

Driving home, down country highway, vehicle had no noise or gave warning. Heard a loud hiss/noise, smoke screen appeared behind van, I coasted van off roadway. Had vehicle towed home. Upon checking, rod went thru engine and transmission casing. Am wondering if this has been a problem with this vehicle, because I heard of a similar incident just today with another Windstar. Thank you.

- Harrodsburg, KY, USA

Apr 022012

We bought our van in March 2012. By April 2012 we began noticing problems with shifting. It shifts hard. The windows stopped working in May 2012. The lights on the dash for the ABS and brakes are always on. The brakes are not very good and the pedal must be pushed hard to get the van to stop. Our biggest issue is with the transmission. The mechanic at aamco would not even change the fluid because if he changed the fluid then the transmission wouldn't be able to shift. I don't know the details but I do know that my van is not safe to drive.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jun 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and brake light have been on for months off and on. Have a slight brake fluid leak. Was backing into my driveway and the O/D light came on and started flashing, the odometer went blank, speedometer stopped working and the A/C began blowing hot air. Checked fuse #10 and found it was blown. Replaced fuse #10. Odometer and speedometer work but other lights still on. Have an appointment to have the van looked at tomorrow.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Mar 172011

Windstar 6-cyl

Ongoing problem as described in tsb 04-17-4 & 03-16-1. these tsb's tell us that Ford Motor Company was aware of this design flaw and continued to manufacture and sell defective vehicles. The problem exist in their faulty 3.8L engine at the intake manifold. The poor design allows oil to seep into the intake plenum and over time the oil erodes away the rubber around the isolator bolts and gaskets. When this happens the engine reads lean fuel codes on banks 1& 2 and a vacuum leak. To compensate for these lean codes, more gasoline is pumped into the plenum causing a rich exhaust mixture which is then sent out the tail pipe into the atmosphere. Ford Motor Company designed and built these engines and they need to be held accountable for correcting this problem. Remember, this is an ongoing widespread problem with tens of thousands of these engines fouling up the air that we breath every day.

- Weston, MA, USA

Dec 032012

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the check engine light warning light continued to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times, where numerous attempts were made to correct the failure. The dealer also reset the computer system but the remedy only lasted for approximately three months before recurring. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there was no recall for the vehicle and that they could not assist. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Prospect, VA, USA

Nov 212011

Windstar 6-cyl

As I put the heat, defroster, or air conditioning on, it jerks alot and when I stop at a red light or stop sign it stalls. I have to put my 4 ways on, shut the van off, and restart it without the heat or air on. I feel this is a very drastic safety issue due to the fact if I'm driving on a highway and I stop at a red light and it stalls, if there is traffic behind me coming rapidly I can be rear ended and cause an accident. This has happened to me in the November incident. Luckily the light was still red.

- Edwardsville, PA, USA