2002 Ford Windstar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Oct 012009

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving 25 mph he noticed that there was smoke under the hood. He was able to safely drive the vehicle to a local repair facility. The technician extinguished the fire and determined that the cruise control brake switch failed and caused the fire. The technician removed the fuse which allowed the contact to drive the vehicle; however, he was unable to view his speed since the fire damaged the control switch. The vehicle has not been repaired. The contact will notify the manufacturer of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000. Updated 01/29/10 updated 01/29/10

- Glendora, CA, USA

Sep 302009

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving the ABS and service brake warning lights illuminated on the instrument control panel. The brake fluid reservoir was leaking fluid onto the cable, which caused the vehicle speed cruise control and the ABS to fail. Brake fluid was added to the reservoir by the contact. The dealer was notified and a technician stated that the ABS cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, there was a fire under the hood after the vehicle was repaired. The current and failure mileages were 86,000.

- Fort Sill, OK, USA

Sep 232009

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that a fire almost erupted, from break fluid leaking under the firewall in the cruise control. He notified the dealer in reference to recall# 06V286000, vehicle speed control. He was advised that since his vehicle was excluded from the recall, he was ineligible for a free remedy. No repairs were made. The manufacturer was notified. The failure and current mileages were 94,558.

- Powell, TN, USA

Aug 242009

Windstar

This is an update to ODI number 10278659. The cruise control actuator switch was identified as leaking brake fluid by my independant auto repair shop. They replaced the "cruise control actuator switch" part number yf1Z 9C888 ab at a cost of $34.56 for parts and $22.50 for labor. They also replaced the wiring harness that connects to the switch. After this was done, the cruise control started to work consistently again. The ABS light and brake warning light still come on intermittently. Sometimes I have noticed they go on after I hit a bump. Once they go on, they remain on for the duration of the journey (until the car is turned off).

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Sep 152009

Windstar

June 2009-brakes failed/indicator light stayed on--took to midas and found the master cylinder was leaking. Replaced master cylinder. Sept 15th, 2009--brake indicator light came on. Brake pedal was spongy and the cruise control would not work correctly. If I tried to use the cruise control, it would disengage without me touching the brakes, then it would return to speed without me resetting. Returned the car to midas and they found the brake pressure differential switch was shorted out. It was covered in brake fluid.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jun 072009

Windstar

I own a 2002 Ford Windstar and a couple months ago my van almost caught fire because of the brake deactivation switch under the master cylinder shorted out. It started leaking brake fluid immediately. I took it to my mechanic to have it fixed and he told me they were having problems with these switches shorting out and catching the automobile on fire. A month ago my ABS brake light came on and a few days later the # 10 fuse blew and smoke started coming out from under the van. We immediately disconnected all the fuses associated with the ABS brake module. I do not have ABS hooked up now and I do not feel very safe driving around without it but I do not have the money to put it in the shop again for the same problem. I would like for Ford to recall and take care of this very faulty ABS brake system.

- Robert, LA, USA

Apr 272009

Windstar

Brake pressure switch leaked brake fluid causing failure of cruise control, speedometer, and odometer. Red brake light and yellow ABS light on constantly. Had repair done at local Ford dealer. Paid $200 for analyzer and $700 to replace wiring, cruise control module and speedometer module. Brake and ABS lights are now off. Second day out of the shop the ABS and brake lights come on intermittently. Estimate #700.00 I am hoping the NHTSA rules on this defect as a safety hazard and orders a recall.

- Chester, NY, USA

Aug 042009

Windstar

I own a 2002 Ford Windstar sel. Recently had two messages of low brake fluid. ABS brake warning lights also come on and off on instrument panel. Cruise control stops working from time to time. Then on Aug 4, the entire instrument panel went haywire, and air conditioner stopped cooling. Having it looked at tomorrow, but this sounds like leaking brake fluid from bad switch has caused electrical meltdown. No fire - yet.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Oct 152008

Windstar

Ford Windstar 2002. Cruise control only engages intermittently. When cruise control is on, it will dis-engage abruptly for no reason. Yellow ABS dash light and red brake warning dash light go on intermittently (simultaneously). After they go on, they stay on until the car is turned off. The ABS system appears to still work correctly even when the yellow ABS light is on and the red brake light is on (although there is no way for the driver to tell if the ABS system and brake system are working correctly or not when the warning lights are on). My local Ford dealership diagnosed that the ECM control module needs to be replaced. This is an expensive electronic component with no moving parts, and there is no reason that this board should be failing. This is a common problem with 2002 Ford Windstar models. I believe Ford should be required to offer free diagnosis and repair for any problems related to ECM control modules for this model year. I first noticed the problem around October 2008 as the weather turned colder. This is consistent with a theory that the ECM board is sensitive to temperature changes, which affects the correct working of the cruise control and ABS systems. The cruise control mostly did not work during the winter 2008-2009. As warmer temperatures arrived in spring 2009, the cruise control started to work intermittently again. Sometimes it engages correctly, sometimes I push the "set" button repeatedly and finally it engages, sometimes I push the "set" button repeatedly and it will not engage. When it is engaged, it will dis-engage abruptly for no reason. I suspect sometimes it dis-engages because the car hit a bump in the road - but frequently it dis-engages with no bump in the road. Having the cruise control dis-engage abruptly for no reason is a safety issue and could easily result in an accident. Having the ABS system not work correctly (due to the ECM module) is a safety issue and could easily result in an accident.

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Apr 152005

Windstar

I have been having problems with my 2002 Ford Windstar van for about three years or so. My brake light and ABS light stays on, I have leaking brake fluid, and my brakes squeaked sometimes. I also on two occasions had my odometer reading go out and because of this I was not able to keep track of my mph or my mileage. About three years ago I went to Ford about my brake problem and was told I needed new brakes I got those brakes and after that I still experienced brake/ ABS problems. I am a divorce mom of four and our lives are important and I need my van to get around. So, please look into this matter for our safety, as well as, for the safety of other families. Thank you

- Martinez, GA, USA

Jul 082009

Windstar

We have a 2002 Windstar with 165K miles. The ABS /brake light has intermittently come off and on for the last 2 years. I noticed that last year my cruise control began to periodically work. On Wednesday July 8th I started the van and noticed white smoke pouring from the hood. I immediately shut the vehicle off and traced the smoke to the brake pressure deactivation switch. I didn't know what it was until I read this article www.fordwindstarrecall.info this was extremely helpful and saved me time on estimating the problem. The switch had burned and the plastic switch was dripping the melted fire plastic into my motor!

- Cypress, TX, USA

May 012009

Windstar

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar. About 2 months ago the brake light, ABS light, and the traction control light came on the dashboard, as well as the speedometer and digital odometer quit working. I took it to a local Ford dealer to have it looked at, and they told me that the ABS module went bad and would need replaced. They quoted me $1006.17 + tax to fix it! it is my understanding that this year Windstar has a recurring problem with this module, and I would like to know if any work is being done on a recall?

- Hartville, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar brake pressure differential deactivation switch developed a leak resulting in significant brake fluid loss and deactivation of cruise control functionality.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 012009

Windstar

The brake pressure cruise deactivation switch on my 2002 Windstar has leaked brake fluid down onto the wiring below the brake master cylinder. I have purchased the replacement switch from my nearest Ford dealer. But now my cruise control does not work, and the horn does not work, and the ABS and brake warning lights come on intermittently.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Mar 012009

Windstar

Purchased a used 2002 Ford Windstar vehicle at dealership in December 2008--cruise control was working fine at time of purchase--around March 2009 cruise control failed to work. This may not be related but the speedometer would become stuck at speed set after depressing brake and slowing down- cruise control will not activate any longer.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

May 022009

Windstar

Vehicle became having intermittent ABS light and brake light activation while driving. This began in 2007. I had it checked and the dealer advised it was a control module problem not covered under warranty. I checked on line to get a better story, which appears to have been reported many times. Over the past 2 months March/April 2009 the problem appeared to become worst. Finally cruise control became intermittent and then quit. I checked brake pressure switch found fluid in and around the switch which is one of the reported problems with the Windstar. The ABS system and cruise control are currently inop. There are no blown fuses.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Aug 102008

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar - ABS and brake light come on all the time in warmer temperatures. Understand it to be a known defect in the braking module - aluminum housing expanding when warm. No problem in colder weather. ABS braking system not active when lights are on. No parts repaired or replaced at this time because of cost and after seeing hundreds of similar complaints with this year/model it appears to be possible recall along with faulty cruise control deactivation switch leaking brake fluid and causing fires.

- Dalton, MA, USA

Nov 142007

Windstar

I have been having trouble with the ABS light and the "E" brake light staying on all the time. My cruise control doesn't work any longer since this has occurred.

- Weaver, AL, USA

Jan 202009

Windstar

Red brake light went on in my 2002 Ford Windstar. Merchants tire checked and indicated that the cruise control switch to the master cylinder has been leaking brake fluid.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Oct 052008

Windstar

Cruise control brake cancellation switch on a 2002 Ford Windstar smoking and blowing fuse #10.

- Bay City, TX, USA