1.7

2002 Ford Windstar suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Aug 202009

Windstar 6-cyl

2002 Ford Windstar would wander while driving, found rear axle cracked in center.

- Montville, NJ, USA

May 052010

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving at speeds of 60 mph, she heard an unusual thump. Immediately, the steering wheel became hard and difficult to control. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where she was advised the rear axle had broken. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 90,000.

- Cantan, OH, USA

Mar 042010

Windstar 6-cyl

The rear axle on my 2002 Ford Windstar broke with no warning. The car has never been crashed and is maintained very well with no visible rust. This causes loss of control but I was able to get the car stopped without incident. In an internet search I see that this is not an uncommon failure and wonder why this is not being investigated. It very dangerous.

- Fort Edward, NY, USA

Apr 212010

Windstar

Recent noise on my 2002 Ford Windstar. Rear axel snapped this morning while my wife was leaving home. I read the exact same incidents on line with the Ford Windstar. Crack aprox 12-18 inches in from the rear left side. Extensive damage and I will keep photos and damaged part.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Apr 032010

Windstar 6-cyl

For about three to four years now, we have been having what we thought was a problem with the front end of our 2002 Ford Windstar. We had numerous front end alignments done. We had the caster/camber work done twice at a very high cost. (this requires taking the front cowling apart in order to put in new font end parts) and still the vehicle would pull in either direction at any given time. It would at times wonder back and forth on the road. About a week ago my wife said she herd strange noises. (clunks, squeaks etc.) then today she was driving the van with my kids to church. Luckily it was local. She said she herd a bang and the van started to squeak and wonder all over the road uncontrollably. She started to smell something burning. She said the steering wheel had to be turned in an abnormal position in order to keep the van going straight down the road. When she got home I looked at the van sitting in the driveway and the rear wheels were tilted in at the top. I crawled under and found that the rear axle beam had cracked almost all the way through. The crack was about 18 inches in form the drivers side. The passenger side looked as though it would eventually crack also. When I looked closer at the crack, you could see shining metal at the top part of the crack, indicating it was a new crack. There was surface rust on the lower part of the crack indicating that the crack had been there for some time and had just gotten bigger. This explains the wondering problem we have been having. Being that this is a 2002 it is out of warranty but this is definitely a safety problem and should be addressed as a recall by Ford. I am scared thinking what could have happened if my wife and kids were driving on an interstate at 65 mph. I am also scared thinking that my 16 year old daughter who just started driving on her permit was driving this vehicle in this condition. Thank god they were driving local at the time that the crack worsened to a point that it is now undrivable.

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Mar 152010

Windstar 6-cyl

My wife told me she heard a rubbing sound in the rear of her 2002 Ford Windstar. I quickly noticed the left rear wheel was tilted in from the top. Figuring it was a worn wheel bearing or broken control arm, I jacked it up, pulled the wheel and noticed the axle was almost completely broken about 8 inches left of center.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Mar 062010

Windstar

Driving home from a family outing on 03/06/2010, we heard a loud sound/clunk coming from the rear of our 2002 Ford Windstar. Luckily, we were only doing 30 mph on our street right almost to our driveway, instead of being on the expressway doing 60 mph as we were only minutes before. The van's rear end swerved as I applied the brakes. I managed to pull into our driveway and calm the wife and kids down (who were hysterical). I have to admit that I was scared also. When I managed to park the van, I noticed that the rear tires were slanted into the van, rubbing the wheel wells at the top. I then looked under the rear of the van and seen that the rear axle beam was broke, about 18" from the driver side rear tire. I implore everone that this has happened to to call the Ford customer care number (1-800-241-3673) and report it. This is the only way that Ford will acknowledge this problem as a potential manufacturer defect. Our 2002 Windstar has only 78,338 miles on it. Our local dealer, where we bought it from, said they have never heard of this happening. I find it very hard to believe since I can bring up about 100 different complaints about this very sam thing for the model years 2000-2002.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Jan 112010

Windstar

I heard a rattle which sounded like a loose tailpipe. I brought it to my mechanic to have it looked at. The problem was that the rear axle beam had snapped. He said that it was not damaged and it looked like it was just a bad piece of steel. He had never seen this problem before. The parts did not have to be ordered because the parts were readily available and in stock at his parts dealer. After looking on the internet I found that there are several complaints about this problem. I was lucky that the axle beam did not break while I was traveling on the highway because the handling of the vehicle was severely compromised. The rear axle beam was replaced at a cost of one thousand dollars. I did not keep the old axle beam.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

Feb 042010

Windstar

I was driving my 2002 for Windstar and the roads were snowy and slippery. While driving the van seemed to slide and sway in the back. I assumed it was from the snowy roads and took the van home. 2 days later when the roads were pretty well cleared I took the van out again. While driving on clear pavement the van seemed to sway and slide like I was on ice in the rear-end. As I headed home it got worse and was shaking and swaying. I slowed down to about 20 miles per hour and got the van home. I had it looked at and was told that the axle is 1 to 2 inch from a complete break. If it would have broke while I was driving it would have caused me to wreck. I have researched this and have found many complaints about this happening to 02 Windstar. I cant afford to fix something this expensive. Something needs to be done before someone gets hurt.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jan 212010

Windstar

Ford Windstar rear axle cracked.

- Medford, WI, USA

Jan 022010

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar rear axle beam broke in half while making a left hand turn. The van started swaying in the rear earlier in the day and we thought it was because of ice and snow on the roads that day. On good pavement we did not experience any issues. We stopped and looked at the tires and they all looked fine, and found no evidence to suggest anything else was wrong with van. No other warning before failure. When this happened both rear wheels towed inward causing van to slide out of control for short distance, and causing damage to the vehicle. Had we been traveling on the highway at speeds of 65 miles an hour I would not like to think what would of happened.we had to have the vehicle towed to a Ford dealer for repairs. The cost of these repairs was $1782.33 not including the towing bill.the tow truck driver said he has never seen a rear axle beam break before. This could of been a major accident, causing bodily harm or death. I had the dealer save the parts for me and I also took pictures of the failed part after it was removed. The dealer would not cover any cost of the repairs.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Nov 252009

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving approximately 60 mph the vehicle began drifting from left to right. He was able to safely turn off the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a local repair facility. The mechanic stated that the rear axle needed to be replaced at an expense of $1,200. The current and failure mileages were 140,000. The VIN was not available.

- Temperance , MI, USA

Oct 092009

Windstar

Rear axle beam on my 2002 Ford Windstar fractured. Noticed vehicle handling was poor, rear end of vehicle swaying while driving straight, tires squealing around turns. Mechanic found axle beam had fractured. Costly repair, could have been more serious if a loss of control had occurred. Fortunate to have occurred at low speed.

- Bayville, NY, USA

Oct 102009

Windstar

Our 2002 Ford Windstar with approx. 107,000 miles had the rear axle beam break in half. The week before the break we noticed that the car felt like it needed an alignment at highway speeds. Luckily the part broke pulling out of the driveway at slow speed. The vehicle was not drivable after the break and needed to be towed. I fear that if the break happened at highway speeds we would have lost complete control of the vehicle. We have never taken this vehicle off road, used it to tow anything or been in an accident where damage would have been done to the axle beam.

- Flanders, NJ, USA

Oct 082009

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar had a sudden, catastrophic rear axle failure-a near complete crack through the axle causing the driver's rear tire to collapse inward, while driving at 40 mph on a straight road. The rear axle and the rear tire had to be replaced, the axle was $530, and the tire $100. This was with the work done by my husband. The car is in otherwise good running condition, has always been serviced by professionals. The mileage was 98,000 miles and the vehicle has always been lightly used, no heavy loads, no towing, just basically football practice with the kids.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Aug 172009

Windstar

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar with 67712 miles. The car started making metallic creaking noises from the rear end whenever I made sharp right hand turns. Inspection showed that the rear axle beam had a 2 inch crack in it. I had to have my mechanic replace the rear axle. My searches on the web revealed that this is a very common defect with the Windstar.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Jul 162009

Windstar

Rear axle broke, which could have caused a serious accident if I were on the highway. I was driving down the road, everytime I turned to the right I would hear a squeaking noise. I did not think much of it until I started to smell something when I looked in the rear view mirror I noticed smoke coming from the rear driver's side wheel. I pulled over and called aaa. Thank god, when the van was looked at we found that the rear axle was broken and the wheel was rubbing against the inside of the wheel well. When stopped the tires on the back of the van looked as though the tires were bent in as a direct result of the broken axle. I am so happy my children were not in the van because this could have resulted in a very bad accident. Ford needs to step up and fix this problem, I have seen quite a few complaints regarding this issue.

- Tarentum, PA, USA

Jul 012009

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar SE rear axel severed....based upon my research many others have experienced the same issue between 2000 and 2003. I also contacted several Ford dealer who have informed me that they have sold an extraordinary amount of these rear axles. Please make Ford issue a safety recall on these axles. They will not take voluntary responsibility for this obvious defective part. Someone is going to get killed if this defective part fails at 65 miles per hour. You will also be responsible if you do nothing about this!

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Nov 172008

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar rear axle cracked. Consumer thinks that someone should look into this problem with the rear axle. The mechanic noticed the left rear tire was leaning in.

- Waynesburg, PA, USA