2002 Ford Windstar wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Aug 132016

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving approximately 40 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise and the vehicle moved from side to side. The contact observed that the rear passenger wheel became inoperable. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the wheel axle was fractured and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage 76,698.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Apr 162016

Vehicle currently at the dealership for more than two months awaiting from Ford customer relationship center to resolve the issue as the dealer wont fix the corroded sub frame instead they want the crc dept send the parts to them, according to crc dept they escalated the issue to the second level but no action until now has been taken...I feel that they're ignoring my request or has been sitting there without taking any action. We almost died on this as the passenger side wheel fell off..I'm trying my luck if you can help us to resolve the issue with them...thanks danilo zanoria-owner

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA

Jul 202015

Rear axel cracked after period of time resulting in blow out tire in a parking lot. After researching this online, I have found Ford recalled this same van for this same problem but did not in our state although the recall was due to states with weather like snow, ice, salt, etc which caused said issue. Why wouldnt Nebraska be included in this since its Nebraska and its snowy alot" luckily we were in a parking lot, we were not driving at high rate of speed down highway like I saw while researching this online which a man was killed who had this happen. I have found that this seems to be a very dangerous and tragic mistake made by Ford and now my van sits in a parking lot with no way for me to get it to a shop to get a repair made even if I did have the funds to do this. At least I would want my van in my driveway, not in a grocery store parking lot with no means of getting it home, besides the fact that being a woman, I would have kept driving it not knowing and could have been in a serious accident such as ones I have seen since looking into this issue. I have taken photos of cracked axel in rear and also front due to weather and climate and found the court papers saying which states were included in this recall, yet Nebraska not one of them? makes no sense. So do I go and drive it home anyways and just hope we dont die in the process..or do I let it sit in a shady part of town parking lot forever" being a single mother of 3, I would have thought Ford might see the all the news about this and have done more to prevent so many incidents, one of which someone died. The court papers indicated that they knew about it 10 years before recall. I noticed the van drove rough over bumps recently, but thought maybe it was shocks, until I found my tire not just flat, but looking as if it was slashed in the parking lot because it literally blew up.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 092015

Windstar 6-cyl

They had a recall in 2011 where they put support brackets on the rear axles. Mine did have the brackets put on and right behind the bracket the axle still broke driving down the street at 40 mph where we almost hit another car with children inside her and my vehicle. Ford said the brackets are only warrantied for 12 months. These vans do not need brackets they need new axles.

- Beaverdam, OH, USA

Jul 022014

Windstar 6-cyl

I heard a loud popping noise coming from the back of my van. Took it to the repair shop and learned the rear axle had a large crack and was almost broken in half. Ford has a recall in effect for 2002 Ford Windstar's for axles that are cracking/breaking (NHTSA campaign number: 12V195000); however, Ford is saying that my VIN number is not a part of their recall even though I have a 2002 Ford Windstar. I had the rear axle welded to repair the crack. This was on the passenger side of the axle. I started hearing popping sounds again, returned to the repair shop only to learn the axle is now broken on the driver side of the axle. This is a serious situation and I feel since Ford has a recall on this issue that my vehicle should be included. I am afraid to make another repair since the axle may still crack again. Please contact Ford to make them include all effected 2002 Ford Windstar vehicles before someone gets seriously hurt!!

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Oct 292014

Windstar 6-cyl

After driving down a major highway North of boston, MA (128/95 North) my wife and I, first heard scraping noise that became louder and began smell like burning rubber/brakes. The car lurched across the roadway/highway and we swerved and almost sideswiped car in the adjacent lane. We were in the process of exiting the highway on the off ramp to my work at rte 28 South stoneham/wakefield. We were able to pull over, gather our thoughts and continue to a gulf station on rte 28 in stoneham, MA. The gulf station mechanic/manager said he had never seen anything like it, a rear axle literally splitting in half. After viewing the rear broken axle and looking at the condition of the front right end and the overall condition of the sub frame they politely and forgivingly said they have rarely seen such a thing (cracked/separated rear axle and went on to say they have only seen this in Ford Windstar and went on to talk about a local women whose Ford Windstar lost control on the highway at 60 mph with her 3 children and were scared to death and in conclusion would not touch the vehicle and warned that the vehicle was beyond safe driving and repair. They were shocked that although there was some kind of brace on the axle in two places that the axle had snapped in two at the reinforcement and said even without the reinforcement on the rear axle they have never seen a rear axle split in two and compounded with the fact that it actually had a reinforcement bracket fail. Reiterating axles and sub frames are not wear and tear parts and in fact had never seen broken rear axles and sub frames crack and break and corroded to this extent. Their reaction was of disturbing to say the least. They said broken axles just don, T happen and with added reinforcement it was "beyond belief" they had broken in half.

- Winchester, MA, USA

Aug 162014

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving my van I heard a very loud noise and my driver's side tire immediately went flat. I was able to pull the vehicle safely to a stop along the side of the road. I called a tow truck and had my vehicle looked at by the mechanic who informed me that a coil spring around my strut broke which caused my tire to be sliced open from the inside of the tire. I was very lucky I was not going any faster when the spring broke and sliced my tire open. I reviewed issues online that other people were having relating to my issue regarding the make and model of my vehicle. Apparently Ford had a recall on the Windstar coil springs from a different year of the Ford Windstar vans due to the very same problem with the coil springs breaking and causing the tire to be punctured or sliced open from the inside. I am also very concerned after reading that the part had to fail before it would be addressed. It seems that if there is a safety recall it should be completed before a failure occurs and not after. This could have caused a very serious accident had I been on an interstate or even if I were going 55 miles per hour on the highway. I did contact Ford Motor Company regarding this issue and was told that Ford would not assist with the repairs because my vehicle was not recalled for this issue. I own two Ford vehicles and I could not believe that my issue was not of a concern to Ford. I probably will not buy another Ford because of this. My family's safety has to come first and I am not convinced we will be safe if the company won't address these types of safety issues.

- Kane, PA, USA

Sep 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS, track off, brake light indicators, and check traction control intermittently illuminate. They remain on until the key is turned off, and then reset. The frequency is intermittent and not measurable. Initial checks have no results as the lights are out when checked by a repair shop.

- Round Hill, VA, USA

Aug 172013

Windstar 6-cyl

We were slowing to pull up to our home. We were driving about 10 mph. About 70 feet from our home. It sounded like there was a flat tire with rubbing and bumping noises. We parked on the street in front of our home. Upon inspecting the vehicle, the tires were intact. The tires are bowing in. We looked under the rear of the car. We saw a large crack of the rear axle closer to the driver's side of the car. Ford recalled the rear axle for this very reason 3 years ago due to corrosion caused by years of exposure to salted roads. Ford performed the recall work by placing a bracket on the axle. The brake on our axle occurred under the bracket. Ford is not assuming responsibility even though the supports they placed on the axle failed to do their job. There are other complaints this year for this same problem. The big difference between all the broken axles this year were the speed of the vehicles and type roads they were traveling on. I believe that there more out there that have had this same problem that have not been reported to this website yet. I also believe that more axles that have already received the recall fix are going to find their axles breaking in the near future as well. As for now the recall of these axles, Ford has closed the case until forced to reopen the recall. Ford should replace the entire axle on all the Windstar that were under the original recall.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Dec 072012

Windstar 6-cyl

Vehicle ABS light has been on consistently since purchasing vehicle from carhop/ uac. Reported the problem to the warranty department only to be told any electrical is not under their warranty! this was reported within a week or so of purchasing the vehicle used for 8500$. since have replaced all four tires for brakes, ( top of the line brakes, not cheap ones) light still remains on after several trips to a shop. Anti-lock braking system still inoperable and almost caused crash 12-7-2012 when attempting to stop on a lightly icy road. Several other electrical issues have been going on with the car as well. It blows brand new fuses, rated higher than what the slot calls for, the low tire pressure light stays on, despite taking the van to a tire specialist and the correct amount of air placed in each tire. Also the crankshaft positioner has caused the vehicle not to start. The air bag light has stayed on and went off after disconnecting the battery. Replacing bulbs on the van quit often. At the point of stopping the payments and letting the car company just repo the van. It is a safety hazard on the roads and especially in snowy Minnesota where a functionable vehicle is needed in order not to cause a accident!

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Nov 092012

I was driving to work this morning at about 50 mph. I went over a bump on the road and my rear axle cracked in half. I had little to no warning.

- Sciota, PA, USA