2003 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 8 of 14)

Jun 032013

Windstar 6-cyl

I'm driving down the road and the ABS light and brake light comes on. It doesn't go off until I turn off ignition. When I start the engine again the lights are off but usually within 10 miles down the road the ABS light and brake light come on again. Every once in a while the lights won't come on but the next time I drive the vehicle they will come on again.

- Little Falls, MN, USA

Oct 102007

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the ABS light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that front rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,234.

- Eldorado Hill , CA, USA

Sep 302013

ABS light on.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Sep 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake light and ABS light and traction control light all came on and are staying most of the time.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Sep 022011

Windstar 6-cyl

The "ABS" and "brake" lights come on, and sometimes go off and mostly come back on again and I loose the four wheel braking protection and the car skids.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Aug 142013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and red E. brake lights come on at same time. Indicating brake module has faulted. Seems many owners have experienced this same issue at early stages of ownership.

- Byhalia, MS, USA

Jul 182012

Windstar 6-cyl

ECU master relay has a bad soldier joint which failed causing the ABS & brake lights to come on the instrument cluster. Most often, I will get a few miles down the road when they come on. The stay on the entire time while in operation. Occasionally, it will not come on right away right after shutting the engine off.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Apr 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

We drove to the store and realized that our rear tires were tilted. We were looking at it and a guy that worked at the garage next door climbed under and told us what it was. He said that the rear axle was broken, he also said that there had been a recall on the vehicle. I contacted our local Ford dealer and the person I spoke to told me that I was covered by the recall and that they would send out a tow truck and the would fix it. The tow truck came and a few hours later the Ford dealer called and said that I was not covered and the I would have to pay for the tow and I would have to tow it off of their lot. This happened after he already told me that I was covered. I eventually had to get a loan to pay for it and I couldn't even afford a new axle I had to get someone to weld it back together and now every couple of months it breaks again. I am now on my third fix. I was doing research on this on the internet and I found something that said that puerto rico was now covered in that recall. I was told that it was just cold weather states. I live in cleveland, Ohio. Just because my car was not made here doesn't mean that I shouldn't be covered. I have already had the control arm recall kit put on and now I found out that there was another recall on the electrical equipment all of my ABS lights and break lights are on. I really need this to be fixed please change the recalls to include other vehicles too.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 122009

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake light and ABS light stays on. I have been dealing with this problem for over 3 years. I have replaced the ABS module once at a high cost $.tired of Ford run around.

- Pembina, ND, USA

Sep 052013

My ABS light keeps coming on. Took car to the shop and they have done multiple diagnostics and after $500+ dollars light still keeps coming on.

- Great Mills, MD, USA

Sep 092013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS & brake light on all the time and the systems don't work when light is on therefore they aren't never working and my odometer quit working and my other gauges go crazy like it's an electrical problem gone crazy. I don't know what gauges actually work and which ones don't cause they seem to go crazy and read different all the time. But, my ABS & brake light stay on all the time no matter what.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Aug 292013

Brake light and ABS light come on intermittently while driving has codes C1185, C1198, C1194, C1254, C1246, C1250, C1242, C1214, C1210 these was pulled from associate from advance auto

- Navarre, FL, USA

Aug 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light keeps coming on. I am also having a problem with the torque converter. I started my vehicle, put it in drive and it did not go anywhere. I heard that several people are having a problem with the torque converter and I need to find out if there is a recall on it.

- Emporia, VA, USA

Aug 162013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS/airbag, tire gauge lights on - ebcm module failure.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light is on. Loss of ABS and hard braking.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Aug 132010

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that she started the vehicle and the ABS warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the brake lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Rush, NY, USA

Jul 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and engine lights have been on my 2003 Ford Windstar for years. However, they were electrical misfires and did not affect the operation of the vehicle. It does now seem that the ABS is failing. The car brakes normally at low speeds. However, over 30 mph it now seems that the brakes lock up and the car pulls to the right. I do not feel that the car is safe to drive, as it screeched and locked up when I was stopping at a red light.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Jul 312013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake comes on and off while driving.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Jun 032013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and brake lights come on while driving the van and stay on while driving.

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Jun 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the ABS and brake warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the ABS module would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Gilber, AZ, USA