2.8

2003 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 102007

Windstar

In my 2003 Ford Windstar van for the last 20 30 thousand miles the ABS and brake light come on intermittently and randomly. Had it checked at repair shop. They could not detect or simulate problem. Quoted $800 - $1200 to replace switches/wires as possible solutions. In checking with complaint department, this is a very common issue with this vehicle, leading to engine fires. I believe Ford should issue a recall for the issue before more vehicles catch fire, and secondly before the owners of this vehicle pay over $1000 to fix something that is a defective system in the car.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

May 272007

Windstar

ABS light and brake lights stays on, cruise control never has worked, have fixed the brakes and the lights are still on. Now I think the 02 sensor I guess it may be the oxygen sensor is out also I think it keep on burning up my alternators, I put a new last year and just had to put another one and I think it is about gone also.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Sep 082008

Windstar

ABS and brake light come on when car is running for a while or heated up. Car smells like something is burning.

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Aug 142008

Windstar

ABS/brake light come on and go off intermittly.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Aug 072008

Windstar

I was pulled over by police for no brake lights. However, the 3rd brake light works. After all the bulbs, relay box, etc were checked, all were ok. I was advised to check to see if any other complaints about both brake lights not working.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 312008

Windstar

Since the summer began, I have been getting the red brake warning light intermittently. Changed the pads, would still get the light at times. Today was extremely hot and humid. Both the red brake warning light and the yellow ABS light came on. This is a 2003 Ford Windstar. After much research, I can see this is a typical problem with this vehicle.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Jun 012007

Windstar

ABS (yellow) and brake warning lights (red) turn on intermittently when the temperature is hot or the vehicle (2003 Ford Windstar) is hot. I have replaced front brake pads and rotors and I have had the rear brakes done as well. However, the warning lights continue to turn on. Based on information found on the following webpage (www.fordwindstarrecall.info/), I'm not the only one with this problem.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 102007

Windstar

Brake and ABS lights go on intermittently on 2003 Ford winsdtar. The lights go off after shutting car off. Brake pads have been replaced recently. No visible signs of brake fluid leakage.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 262005

Windstar

ABS and brake light continue to come on and off. I took my 2003 Ford Windstar to the dealer and the dealer stated the brake fluid was low and that was causing the problem. The light cam back on shortly after. I checked the brake fluid and it was not low. This problem has occurred on and off since I have owned the vehicle. (purchased new). I have had other electrical problems as well. Windows do not work all of the time. Also ran this by Ford. They wanted $80 for each electric issue. Would of cost me $400 just to see what was causing the problem. I did my own research on line and found out this was a very common problem. Seems to me the dealer did not really need to run the diagnostic and should have had a good idea as to what was causing the problem. I have not had a fire yet but may not be around of this issue does cause a fire. Seems odd a recall has not occurred yet. Typical though, usually it takes a death to get government agencies to respond. Maybe this time you can act sooner rather than later.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA

Mar 152008

Windstar

Failure of ECM in the ABS brake system resulting in the ABS light and the brake light being illuminated all the time.

- Winston, GA, USA

Apr 102008

Windstar 6-cyl

I was driving along and suddenly the emergency brake light, the ABS light, the traction light, and check engine light came on. The odometer, and dashboard fuel info system didn't work, the speedometer stopped working. The words "check transmission" came on the info screen. I took the car to three different mechanics and no one can find anything wrong with my vehicle. I was told that the car is fine and they can't find any reason for these lights to be on or how to get them to go off.

- Hawley, PA, USA

Apr 232007

Windstar 6-cyl

Both the ABS light and the emergency brake light come on in my 2003 Ford Windstar once the vehicle gets warmed up. I have conducted extensive research after having a mechanic give me the code that the van is throwing (C1185) and found the following: The brake pressure differential deactivation switch (2B264) located under the master cylinder (behind the air filter) over time develops a leak. This causes a short and a fuse trip, fuse #10. This leak causes brake fluid to wick down two wires to the ABS brake module (2C219). The fluid accumulates on the power connectors for the ABS brake system which are powered by fuses 101 and 102 and are both 40 amp. The fluid attracts moisture, road salt and leads to a fire when the fluid and moisture act as conductor between the hot leads and ground. This switch has been the subject of other Ford recalls, just not the Windstar van yet. Below is a picture of the switch in question. Notice the fluid that leaked on the part below it. This switch will cause cruise control problems, speedometer, odometer and ABS brake system problems. The issue of the ABS brake light is critical in that the ABS brake system does not function as designed by Ford. The issue is caused by heat in the ABS (anti-lock brake system) ECM (electronic control module) (2C219) module causing expansion of a large aluminum plate (heat sink) in the ECM which is attached to the ECM main circuit board at all points. The expansion occurs when the unit gets warm especially in the summer months and causes intermittent electrical connection in the unit because the fragile board is being stretched and malformed. The code most commonly scanned by professional mechanics is code C1185. Seen by us owners as a yellow ABS brake light.

- Palmetto, FL, USA

May 012007

Windstar 6-cyl

My automobile keeps getting multiple emergency brake and ABS errors. The lights come on and remains on until turned off. Upon researching this problem it appears to be a wide spread issue with Ford Windstar. I've also read that one person had a fire come from this issue. Is there any motion for a recall.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

May 222007

Windstar

I am also having an ongoing issue with the ABS light showing on the dash while driving. I have had computer diagnostics and received the following error codes: C1236 lr wheel speed sensor input missing; C1235 rr wheel speed sensor input missing; and C1185 power relay output circuit fault. I have been told that the ABS is not affected and in fact have noticed that the ABS does engage in snowy/wet road conditions while the warning lights are on. My mechanic has advised that the last error code could be the global cause of the error. I have yet to replace the sensors as the brakes are unaffected and have been told that further trouble shooting could be of significant cost for brakes that are currently functioning normally other than the warning lights. The lights do seem to be more affected by wet/damp driving conditions.

- Ottawa, 00, USA

May 202007

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS, emergency brake lights randomly come on while driving. They stay illuminated until I turn the car off. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when they come on. The one time I had it looked at, they could find no error and I was told I needed to bring it in while the lights were illuminated. My concern is that while the lights are on, that the ABS system is not activated.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Dec 012007

Windstar

ABS and brake warning lights intermittently go on and off for no apparent reason. It only happens when the engine is warm, or it is hot outside. No problems on cold days. Brakes appear to work fine. There also appears to be some leaking from the master cylinder, which continues to cause a short with the #10 fuse inside the cabin, causing the speedometer, odometer, transmission control, etc to stop functioning.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 052007

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the brake and ABS lights illuminated approximately four or five times. On four separate occasions, the vehicle was taken to an auto mechanic shop and they discovered nine codes. The contact was informed that the ABS was no longer functioning when the light illuminates. As a result, the contact rear ended another vehicle. There were no injuries. The vehicle sustained minor damage. The contact was becoming frustrated due to misinformation. The VIN, engine size, number of cylinders, and purchase date were unknown. The current mileage was 59,290 and failure mileage was 58,500.

- Stockton, CA, USA

May 232006

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving the van the ABS and brake lights come on for no apparent reason. Sometimes they go off for a little while and then come back on during driving. Sometimes they come on and stay on during driving. Dealer said I have no ABS brakes while the light is on but since I live in Florida and don't drive in the snow it doesn't matter. They charged me $85.65 to tell me what I already knew and wanted to charge me over $300 to do a diagnostic test to which they said they may not find the solution to the problem anyway. Doesn't seem safe to me. I do drive up North to see family hopefully the ABS brakes don't go out on me then.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jul 172007

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The ABS light illuminates intermittently or either remains lit when the vehicle was started. The failure began in July of 2007 after the vehicle had been serviced. The contact has not taken the vehicle back to be inspected. The current mileage was 32,000 and failure mileage was 28,000.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Jun 012007

Windstar 6-cyl

My automobile keeps getting multiple emergency brake and ABS errors. The lights come on multiple times daily. Upon researching this problem it appears to be a wide spread issue with Ford Windstar 2001-2003. The issue appears to be a faulty brake system including the ABS system. Brake fluid leaks from a faulty sensor into electronic connectors causing the potential for fires. There are documented cases where this failure has caused fires. *note please review the following websitewww.2carpros.com/forum/8-VT49767.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=140 please review this safety defect soon! 8tr

- Aledo, TX, USA