2003 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 11 of 13)

Jul 252009

Windstar

With no prior problems to report, I was suddenly unable to put my vehicle in gear after starting it. The gear-shifter felt somewhat loose as if I were parked at an incline without putting the hand brake on. However, I was parked on level ground. After turning the vehicle off, I was finally able to get the vehicle out of park and into neutral where I was able to start it and put it into drive. Whenever I placed it in park it was extremely difficult to get it back into any other gear however, it would randomly go into gear as if there was no problem. But once placed back into park it would get stuck again. Now there is all kinds of wacky electrical stuff going on...window swithches aren't functioning, no tail lights, fuel gage is not functioning and the remote alarm entry only unlocks the drivers side door. There is a clicking in the left side of the steering column when trying to utilize any of the listed electrical functions.

- Pacoima, CA, USA

May 012009

Windstar

ABS control system failed, light comes on and stays on, relay failure. Slow sticky brakes response.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Jul 012009

Windstar

Bad ABS module is a problem that very many Windstar owners have. So you think you have ABS and you do not also alot of Windstar have burned. This is a danger to owners.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Jul 092009

Windstar

1. there are no particular events leading up to this problem. 2. my A/C started blowing hot air, O/D off light is blinking, odometer and speedometer quit working, brake/ABS lights stay on, locks go crazy randomly. 3. we have not corrected this problem yet. I was doing research on these problems when I found a website with exactly the same problems that linked to this website.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Jun 202009

Windstar

ABS and brake light stays on, O/D indicator flashes, speedometer and odometer not working, A/C stopped blowing cool air. All this happened all of a sudden. I notice it being a chain reaction on 2003 Windstar's.

- Barnesville, GA, USA

Jun 012009

Windstar

My wire in my 2003 Ford Windstar not working my electric doors do not lock and my back control panel is not working and I checked my fusebox and a fuse was burned out so I replaced in and it blew out again so some thing is wrong with my wiring and I do not know what to do now.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 012009

Windstar

2009 Ford Windstar. Purchased van 2 years ago and it has been difficult! automatic doors pop open loudly or not at all. Had that fixed. Rear window occasionally work! interior lights flicker or stay on at different times! rear sensor signal does not work.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 132009

Windstar

I own a 2003 Ford Windstar. Approximately two months ago the ABS and brake lights came on while I was driving. When I restarted the engine the lights turned off; but while driving they came back on again. This now happens almost every time I drive the vehicle. When my mechanic examined it he said that the module was shot. While I was deciding the best way to handle the necessary repair I decided to research the problem. My research shows that this is a very common and dangerous issue with Windstar. I hesitate to replace the part only to have the same issue in the near future.

- Clarksburg, MA, USA

May 102009

Windstar

Parking brake light and ABS light come on after driving a short distance. I've found this to be highly frequent problem on 2001-2003 Ford Windstar. Also read that this could cause fires and even death. We also have internal lights that flash on and off while driving. This is dangerous at night as it could startle the driver. I've read this is also a common problem. Please! get the Ford Motor Company to recall these vehicles and correct this problem. A huge percentage of the these vehicles have the problem.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

May 082009

Windstar

We bought a used 2003 Ford Windstar LX. We have had one electrical problem after another. Anti lock brake lights going on. Engine light going on. Driving down the road and all interior lights go on and stay on or the lights start flashing and flickering. Yesterday the anti lock brake lights have gone on again. Recently this has been happening several times a week. This morning we were at a stop sign waiting to pull out onto a major highway and the car would not move. My husband stepped on the gas. The engine roared but the car would not move forward nor would it move backward when put into reverse. We have had this van at the garage numerous times for these repairs. Each time being told that the problem resolved. Each time spending several hundred dollars.

- Mohrsville, PA, USA

Mar 252009

Windstar

Vehicle was skipping/jerking when trying to accelerate (happened recently), ABS and brake lights come on and off w/O warning, inside dome lights were flickering, and front windshield wipers would not stop after being turned off, until car was cut off (happened over 2 year period). Had a dealer to fix problems to a tune of about $2300.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 012009

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the hub has been replaced 15 times and the electrical system is faulty. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was out of warranty; therefore, they would not repair the vehicle. The contact feels that the manufacturer should repair the vehicle. The current mileage was 91,000 and failure mileage was 81,000.

- Clear Lake, CA, USA

May 152006

Windstar

ABS problem. It occurs intermittently as soon as warm weather starts. I have had it checkout by several local auto repair shops and they say it is a existing problem with the ABS unit. I have had the switch on the master cylinder replaced, still the same problem. II have contacted Ford with poor results. They say there is not a problem with the ABS.

- Tonawanda, NY, USA

May 012005

Windstar

We have had many different problems with our '03 Ford Windstar. We have had the powersteering pump replaced 3 times. We have had the transmission rebuilt because is quit working. The ABS and brake light on the dash are always on. We can not adjust the temperature of the A/C or heater. It is always cold. The rear air selector switch does not work. The dome lights flicker from time-to-time. The rear speakers work about 1/2 the time. The brakes sometimes make a growling sound when applied. The mechanics can not find the reason for the noise. The rear door indicator switch needs to be replace. When we shut the rear hatch (door) the doors will not lock because it seems that a door is still ajar.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Feb 132008

Windstar

My Ford Windstar has had all of it's brakes redone twice because of failure of ABS system. As I have been driving the ABS lights along with the brake lights will come on the dashboard. I had the brakes redone twice, still happening come to find out it is a malfunction of ABS unit itself. Do I have to contact my consumer advocates on the local news to get a recall started because I am a hairs breathe away from doing it. I can no longer put up with these repair bills as I am on disability for a bad heart and the news will just eat this up!

- Atco, NJ, USA

May 032008

Windstar

Ford Windstar brake, ABS brake, cruise control, and speedometer/odometer electrical problems. Our van has had this issue twice now and needs to be a recall item as Ford is well aware of the issue and the major safety issues it presents! we are looking for NHTSA to press them for a resolution with so many of these vehicles on the roads and the number of events.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Feb 212009

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the wires from the overdrive switch in the transmission were burned and the fuse was inoperable. The vehicle became engulfed in smoke while driving at an unknown speed. Smoke was rising from the instrument panel and the vehicle would have caught fire if the contact had not turned off the engine. The dealer stated that there was no recall on the wiring harness; therefore, the contact would have to pay for the repair. The failure mileage was 96,000. Updated 03/12/09. Updated 03/16/09.

- Hamberg, PA, USA

May 052008

Windstar

The vehicle ABS warning light and brake warning light go on and off. Diagnostic code of C1185. No viable reason for the failure. Lights are illuminated on the dash board regularly but with no particular pattern or reason. Loss of ABS breaks as a result. Fearful of accident or vehicle fire due to issue. Nothing done to correct the problem as there does not seem to be a clearcut solution to the problem without impacting other functions of the vehicle. Additional issue with interior cabin lights going on and off while driving. This is distracting at night and could cause an accident. This is a product defect that has been happening since 2007. I will not pay to fix something that happens in many of the same models and is clearly a defect that should be recalled. I've told the dealership and they say I need to pay to have a modular replaced.

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Feb 122009

Windstar

Brake light (E-brake) and ABS light come on intermittently after about 5-10 minutes of driving. This either cause the ABS to disable or not depending on which mechanic I talk to. Two mechanics have looked at this, and recently I was denied an emissions test due to this (non-emission related) problem. According to several websites, this is slated as a _very_ common problem with this year of vehicle, and I would like to get it fixed... the dealer wants over $1000 to diagnose and repair this problem that if not resolved, results in intermittent ABS, or fire.

- Erie, CO, USA

Jan 302009

Windstar

2003 Ford Windstar. Brake and ABS lights came on, fluid leaking out of brake pressure switch. Fluid wicking down to other wires blowing fuses. ABS control unit wires soaked in fluid. Possible fire. Also electric door locks stick both fail to unlock and fail to lock even though the solenoid is triggered. The actual lock is sticking on 3 of the four doors.

- Newport, TN, USA