2003 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 13)

May 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

I was driving to the store and the speedometer needles went crazy and the ABS / brake lights went on. After a couple of minutes the needles went back to normal and the ABS/ brake lights stayed on. We changes the sensors that go to all 4 tires and the lights remain on.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Oct 022012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and emergency brake lights come on and off intermittently. Middle seat won't go back up and the door locks don't work half the time.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Jan 032012

Windstar 6-cyl

Multiple episodes of the ABS traction control and brake light coming on at the same time..if you shut off engine and restart the warning lights go away. Started several years ago thru present time. Have had vehicle serviced and they have tried to reset the error codes with out success seems to be worse when its wet.

- Carnegie, PA, USA

Sep 012009

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and brake light began to come on intermittently, followed soon afterwards by the power right passenger window failing to go and down, followed by the transmission O/D off light flashing. These would occur until the engine was shut down, then most of the time the symptoms would go away, always to return. When the O/D off light would come on, the transmission would fail to perform at speed and we would have to reduce our speed to under 50 mph in order to not rev the engine above 3500 RPM. When this light is on, you cannot get to 60 mph without redlining the engine. I have had dealers and mechanics look at this a number of times with no resolution.

- Heppner, OR, USA

Aug 152014

Windstar 6-cyl

2003 Ford Windstar trouble codes C1185, C1198, C1194, C1254, C1246, C1250, C1243, C1212, C1210; ABS and brake light comes on intermittently don't know if my ABS is working when this happens.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Aug 212014

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light has been one for quite some time many months, maybe a year. The brake light intermittently been on or gone off, but has been on for some time - the last 6-8 months. We have a known brake oil leak, as we have seen the puddles and frequently refill it. This is very similar to the Ford recall 09S09 but our VIN # is not presently included. On 8/21 the all of the internal gauges "went wonky" and then stopped indicating anything (speedometer at 0, even though I was driving down the highway at 50-60 mph. This "wonky issue" has been present since the spring of 2014. Also, the cruise control has not worked for a few months (about the same time we first noticed the "wonky gauges" which used to always accompany a rapid acceleration) since the last week, the gauges are "going wonky" on their own, even when I don't rapidly accelerate. We have read online about a brake oil leak affecting the scds and our issues seem very similar to those described in a recall! to recap, the "wonky gauges" have been an issue since Feb/March but was only observed when depressing the gas pedal. Now, since a much more severe episode on 8/21/2014 the gauges are acting up even at slower speeds, the gauges are "going out" and not registering anything at all for 10-15 minute stretches. A/C, radio, clock, windows, turn signals stop working. And ABS/brake lights are illuminated. Thank you for your consideration!

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 122014

2003 Ford Windstar driving at speed of 40mph my ABS and brake light indicator light up. Garage did a code reset but the ABS and the brake did not go away, garage unplugged the battery and plugged it back and the ABS and the brake light disappeared.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Aug 252014

The ABS light is on all the time, the brake light is on most of the time. Also the instrument cluster jumps erratically and the right brake light does not work.

- Port Reading , NJ, USA

Nov 162012

Windstar 6-cyl

The interior lights in this vehicle flicker on and off at random when driving. It does it during the day and at night. At night is the worst. Sometimes it won't do it for a long time and there is times where it does it constantly. Shutting off the engine and restarting corrects it but only some of the time. I have been seeing complaints on many different web sites about this problem and I have seen no tsb issued from Ford about this issue.

- Nanticoke, PA, USA

Jul 262014

RPM needle went all the way to right while driving and can't get it to go back wondering if ths will cause problems while driving.

- Shelby , OH, USA

Feb 012014

When driving up hills the "od off" transmission light will begin to flash and though I depress the button on the shifter the light will not stop flashing. Only way to make it stop is when I turn he car off and then turn the vehicle back on.

- Santa Barbara , CA, USA

Jul 122012

Brake light and ABS light are both lit at all times after driving for a short period of time. Mechanic says that ABS system will not work.

- Santa Barbara , CA, USA

Jul 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS (yellow light) and brake ( red light) stay on. Brakes seem to work fine.

- Northbridge, MA, USA

Dec 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS/brake light indicator came on. It sometimes will go off (usually when there is road salt on the road. It stays on and will not turn off. I took it to the Ford dealer thinking it was the brakes/or the brake sensors. They said it was the ABS control module failing. It was too expensive for me to replace. When the indicator was off I took the car for emissions inspection and it passed. Now the emissions inspection is due and the lights are still on. I do not want to spend $900 to replace the part on an eleven year old car especially since there is no guarantee that is the exact problem.

- Thurmont , MD, USA

Jun 262014

ABS light and brakes light along with engine light and tire light all came on out of the blue.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Feb 172014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS, brake warning lamps lit, speedometer doesn't show the operating speed.

- West Springfield , MA, USA

Jun 052013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light and brake light come on during the spring and summer months not in the fall and winter months.

- Chillicothe, IL, USA

Jan 022010

Windstar 6-cyl

The interior lights flickering all the time. I keep the interior lights off so they don't flicker.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Dec 112013

Windstar 6-cyl

It was a cold night -35 F, when I was in Canada. When I started the car the next morning, my emergency flashers came on. I pushed the emergency flasher button to turn them off but it didn't work. I continued to push the button but it didn't turn them off. There is no fuse to shut them off. They are still flashing. This problem has virtually killed my battery. Now I have to disconnect my battery so it won't die, if I don't use the car for an more than a day or two. I went to a mechanic to replace the signal light / emergency flasher unit. He said that he couldn't fix it because when he disconnected it, the emergency flashers on the dash were still flashing. So he charged me for labor only and returned the part, at no cost to me. He said he saw another case like this on google (think it was Wisconsin). The same thing happened after a cold night. Worse of all, he said that the entire instrument cluster had to be replaced to fix it. This cost was around $1,200. This vehicle is only worth about $1,500 and is only 11 years old. I believe that this defect should be covered by Ford. It doesn't seem to happen much but it basically makes me have to drive with my emergency flashers on all the time, unless I pull out 2 bulbs in the rear and a total of 3 fuses (in the car and under the hood). This latter situation, ultimately, leaves me with no signal lights. I use hand signals. I think they are still allowed by law.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Jun 182013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS, brake light stays on for no reason. Spent several hundred dollars having it diagnosed. Replace many parts. No resolution. Drives often with a miss especially during acceleration.

- Nashvill, TN, USA