2003 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 9 of 13)

Mar 012009

Windstar

ABS sometimes works and other times does not. After brake service at dealership, they take no responsibility for this known problem. Result is ABS does not always work. Brake light on after brake service. (brake light (red) 15 amp fuse #10 blowing out ABS brake light (yellow).

- Dewitt, MI, USA

Mar 072010

Windstar 6-cyl

Where to start? almost seem like to many problems to list. We will start with the constant draining and replacement of the battery. New battery every few months. Thinking this issue may have to do with the fact that the interior lights go on and off at random unexplained times. Sometimes remaining on once the vehicle is off and all doors are completely closed. Problem with ABS and brake light coming on at randoms times in addition tp the checl charging system light. Sometimes they come on and off but if they remain on cause the car to hesitate or just quit on you. I have 3 kids and am terrified for our safety everytime we are in this vehicle. I have finally had enough and am filing a complaint since I have read from numerous sources that I am one of thousands and thousands having this same issue. Please consider the safety of the drivers of these vehicles and subsequently any innocent motorist or pedestrian who may become injured from these safety issues. Thank you.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Aug 202010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light came on. Brought 2003 Ford Windstar LX to Ford repair shop. 1,825 later, im reading these complaints. Very expensive considering I only have 45,000 miles on the van. Im very disappointed in the Ford company for not addressing these issues.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jan 052008

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS lamp and brake warning lamp stay on. After a short period of driving these lamps come on and stay on. Even after all brakes have been serviced by Ford dealer.

- Victoria, 00, USA

Jan 012006

Windstar

2003 Ford Windstar ECM failure causing ABS system malfunction. Recall of a related symptom in October 2009 did not fix this current issue.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 212010

Windstar

ABS and brake light stay illuminated as soon as the van is turned on. The dome lights flicker on and off. I've taken the van to the dealer for the dome lights and they could not find anything wrong with the van, but told me that it is a very common complaint and it is likely the start of a total electrical failure on the vehicle.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Aug 092010

Windstar

I have a 2003 Ford Windstar and have had nothing but problems with it. Since purchasing the car I have had issues with the electrical system or something which Ford claims they can not figure out what the problem is- all they kept saying is you need to pay $ for diagnostic tests which will probably not even tell them the answer to the problems because in order to catch the problem they need to catch it just as it happens which is near impossible. Long story short-I have put nothing but $ into this van which I feel should be recalled because after doing research on all the problems there are alot of people that are complaining about the exact same issues for the exact same year and model van. As of now I am stuck with no car to get to work and to get my kids to school because the van won't start and it had to be towed to the shop once again. Events leading up to the failure- domes lights flickering on and off at random while driving even with the switch in the off position, fuses getting blown from opening windows, automatic door locks only working when it wants to, alternator and battery failure, transmission failure, and now they have no clue why it is not starting. Failures happen every year since I have had the van. I have had the alternator and battery replaced every year and had the transmission replaced as well. I have had problems with the ac and heat and the brake and ABS lights coming on and off at random. I have been stranded on the side of the road with my children and just can't afford to do this anymore.

- Fort Myers , FL, USA

Jan 032010

Windstar

ABS light brake light they are always on.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Jun 032010

Windstar

The ABS and brake light come on intermittently. This just started in our 2003 Windstar with 60000 miles on it. This happens from once every time we drive the van to once every couple of weeks.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

May 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS & emergency brake warning lights come on simultaneously @ intermittent intervals, but not during braking. They usually come on after hitting a bump in the road. There are no issues w/ the vehicle's actual braking @ this time, or @ any point since the problem was 1st noticed.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Feb 102010

Windstar

I have a 2003 Ford Windstar. My brake light and ABS light never turn off. My warning that the door is open is always on as well so my interior lights stay so my battery dies. My head lights turn on and off as well.

- Tooele, UT, USA

Jun 152010

Windstar 6-cyl

55000 miles. Original owner 09S09 recall. Brake switch leaking-repaired before recall.paid $250 ABS/brake lights intermittent, occasional burning smell, rear tail light remain on. Battery dies (on#3) flashing interior lights, radio go out upon braking. Dealer performed recall (wire thing) said need new ECU and hcu at cost of $1800. Have had car in and out of service many times for strange electrical occurrences and warning light problems. Always said can not duplicate. Have seen hundreds of complaints on message boards www.fordwindstarrecall.info, www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2003/Ford/Windstar/ABS+warning+light, www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2003/Ford/Windstar/electrical+system. From consumers with similar complaints. Feel car is not safe. Low miles, always had scheduled maintenance.

- Mason, OH, USA

May 122010

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that when starting the engine, the ABS, brake, and over-drive warning lights illuminated. In addition, the speedometer and air conditioner became inoperable. The contact reviewed recall (NHTSA campaign id number 09V399000: Vehicle speed control) but could not confirm if his vehicle was included in the recall or if the recall was related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 121,000 and the current mileage was not available. Updated 11/03/10.

- Waco, TX, USA

May 102010

Windstar

Engine revs and car accelerates while driving. Engine light stays on. ABS light goes on and off. Door locks click open and close while driving. Interior lights go on and off while driving.

- Cutchogue, NY, USA

Apr 212010

Windstar 6-cyl

Electrical issues. I just bought the 2003 Ford Windstar ex, and we've experienced the brake light, engine light, interior lights flickering off and on. This is dangerous !! how do we know if there really is a brake problem if the brake light resets and turns back on while driving ? it is very distracting when the interior lights flicker off and on while driving. We are finding out the extent of electrical problems associated with this model. The electrical problem is draining our vehicle battery every night ! I've filed several of the issues with your department, and have seen the complaints on line. What a shame that we have to wait for a serious incident to happen before Ford is held accountable for their bad product !!! I hope you can help. Thank you.

- Waddell, AZ, USA

Apr 202010

Windstar 6-cyl

I am an owner of a Ford Windstar sport which I purchased new in 2003. I've recently had the scds replaced under recall number 09S09 ( October 2009) and am now experiencing another possible error which might be linked to this recall. For no reason at all, during the cars movement the ABS and warning lights illuminate. This worries me that there is still a serious fault with the braking system on this vehicle. To date I have not replaced any parts as I've discovered through many internet chat rooms that this may be a faulty ECM main circuit board, which I am informed is a very expensive part to replace. Money is very tight right now so I will have to continue driving this vehicle until I can afford the repair or Ford decide to replace this defect as a safety issue. Updated IVOQ 11/24/10

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Apr 102010

Windstar

This van keeps draining our battery. We have tried to figure out why the van's electrical system keeps draining the battery. It has drained our battery several times.

- Waddell, AZ, USA

Apr 032010

Windstar 6-cyl

My 2003 Ford Windstar is experiencing problems with the brake light and ABS light continuing to turn on intermittently. I have had an issue with my van battery being drained over night. I called sunset Ford in peoria Arizona and the service advisor told me it was recently repaired in Nov of 2009. I hope that you can help since I believe there is still a problem.

- Waddell , AZ, USA

Jan 012010

Windstar

2003 Windstar cruise control shuts off abslight and brake come on together at random recall has been fixed no wiped delay.

- Rapid City, MI, USA

Jan 012004

Windstar

My 2003 Ford Windstar has sever electrical problems. The interior lights randomly come on and will flash until I turn them off with the dash control. It will go for few days with no problem and then start flashing again. This started at about 40,000 miles and still happening at 115,000 miles. Dealer has check several times and says they can find no problem. Of course won't do it when at dealer.

- Greensboro, NC, USA