2003 Ford Windstar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 212014

Windstar

The ABS light has been one for quite some time many months, maybe a year. The brake light intermittently been on or gone off, but has been on for some time - the last 6-8 months. We have a known brake oil leak, as we have seen the puddles and frequently refill it. This is very similar to the Ford recall 09S09 but our VIN # is not presently included. On 8/21 the all of the internal gauges "went wonky" and then stopped indicating anything (speedometer at 0, even though I was driving down the highway at 50-60 mph. This "wonky issue" has been present since the spring of 2014. Also, the cruise control has not worked for a few months (about the same time we first noticed the "wonky gauges" which used to always accompany a rapid acceleration) since the last week, the gauges are "going wonky" on their own, even when I don't rapidly accelerate. We have read online about a brake oil leak affecting the scds and our issues seem very similar to those described in a recall! to recap, the "wonky gauges" have been an issue since Feb/March but was only observed when depressing the gas pedal. Now, since a much more severe episode on 8/21/2014 the gauges are acting up even at slower speeds, the gauges are "going out" and not registering anything at all for 10-15 minute stretches. A/C, radio, clock, windows, turn signals stop working. And ABS/brake lights are illuminated. Thank you for your consideration!

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Apr 072014

Windstar

The speedometer does not work on my Windstar. It works on some days but others gets stuck or all the needles in the dashboard go back and forth really fast. It has caused one of the needles (for RPM's) to break in order for me to put the Windstar into park.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 082014

Windstar

Brake light and ABS lights are on, brakes are fine, fluid level is fine, but light is on. ABS now not working. Speedometer does not go above 40 mph until driven at least 3 miles, this is also causing the cruse control to not work smoothly. Transmission is not shifting into overdrive, transmission is clean and working. All of these issues began within a few weeks of each other

- Avon, NY, USA

May 302014

Windstar

ABS light along with brake indicator light is on. Multiple defect codes for ABS module shown on scanner. Brakes not fully stopping vehicle when depressed. Bought vehicle in May 2014. Cruise control acting funny.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 172014

Windstar

ABS, brake warning lamps lit, speedometer doesn't show the operating speed

- West Springfield , MA, USA

Mar 302012

Windstar 6-cyl

The brake light has been coming on, the check engine light has been on for some time, and the vehicle is currently leaking what appears to be brake fluid.

- Tuckerton, NJ, USA

Apr 172014

Windstar 6-cyl

While in 75mph speed limit upon entering into a 70mph limit I pushed cst on cruise panel steering wheel. I not only slowed but my van continued to slow while heavier traffic was skirting and trying not to run me over. It was at less than 40mph I was able to get on the emergency lane. Would not respond to drive, 1st, 2nd, reverse gears. Engine sounded like in neutral, going nowhere, when foot applied to accelerator. No warning given; no transmission problems or noise beforehand. Stranded 400 mi from home, towed to sterling Ford dealership in opelousas, la with van left there and no notion of when firm diagnosis, torque converter was the first suggestion, pulling transmission pump and much more costly was second. Was told by preus Ford they "thought" there had been recall regarding this problem. Don't know.

- Farmerville, La, LA, USA

Apr 142012

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that when driving with the cruise control activated, the vehicle would independently accelerate without warning. The failure persisted until it had become a permanent occurrence and would present itself even when the cruise control function was not being used. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacture informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in any active recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 151,000.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Jul 022012

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving my 2003 Ford Windstar model sel, I'm encountering a problem with the braking system/ABS, as well as, my cluster gauge going haywire doing what it wants on and off on its own. The braking system is starting to become more frequent. I've gone to Ford for this particular problem and a few others. Ford looked at my car and told me the rear axel had cracked and they repaired the axel on recall. I informed them about the ABS breaking system. I've been to two separate dealers in staten island, NY. One dealer told me it looks like I have an electrical problem not sure if it's related to cluster gauge/braking system. They told me I had a problem with the right rear window motor as well, which Ford fixed supposedly. As far as the braking system goes they told me they took it for a ride and did not see anything wrong with my vehicle. I told them about the cluster gauge doing what it wants, the ABS working/not working. Having a hard time stopping car, as well as, telling both Ford dealers about my wife having no choice but to pull off the highway because she was having this particular brake problem. I told them the only way she was to stop the vehicle was to crash into these big green metal commercial garbage containers at approximately 10 miles per hour. I showed them the damage to the front of my vehicle as well as telling them my wife had hurt her neck, I was told from both Ford dealers that we don't see a problem we can't fix a problem and I am now reading on the web that there seems to be a problem with these cars up to 2003 with everything I have explained up til now. If anybody has any input or contact info for me to call to help me, I would deeply appreciate any help you can provide before one or all of my family members become injured or god forbid fatalities.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 102013

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while at a traffic stop, he accidently engaged the cruise control resume mechanism. The vehicle suddenly increased acceleration and the engine was turned off. After restarting the vehicle was driven to the residence. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated there was a recall related to the defect. The cruise control cable was disabled. The NHTSA campaign id number: 09V399000 (vehicle speed control) however, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 143,000.

- Long Island City, NY, USA

Jun 212010

Windstar 6-cyl

The speedometer, odometer & cruise control did not work & ABS pump ran continuously. ABS & brake light stayed on. This only happened when the outside temp. Was around 80-85 deg.F & lights shut off once the engine cooled. Diagnosis was defective brake control mod. Pulled fuse 101 to keep pump from running. In 2012 the lights remained on with fuse in and the speedo & odo would go out intermittently. Nov. 2013, lost speedo & odo all together.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Aug 142013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and red E. brake lights come on at same time. Indicating brake module has faulted. Seems many owners have experienced this same issue at early stages of ownership.

- Byhalia, MS, USA

Sep 092013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS & brake light on all the time and the systems don't work when light is on therefore they aren't never working and my odometer quit working and my other gauges go crazy like it's an electrical problem gone crazy. I don't know what gauges actually work and which ones don't cause they seem to go crazy and read different all the time. But, my ABS & brake light stay on all the time no matter what.

- Decatur, IL, USA

May 232011

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the anti-lock braking system warning light illuminated as the anti-lock brakes engaged independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic, who retrieved error code cll85, indicating that there was a failure with the speed control deactivation switch. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was reported to manufacturer. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 09V399000 (vehicle speed control: Speed control deactivation switch, overheating), however the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The failure mileage was 100,000. The current mileage was 120,000. Updated 07/23/13

- Easton, PA, USA

May 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

For a few years, the ABS warning light has been intermittently coming on. It has mostly been during the warmer months of the year. Also, the brake warning light has been intermittently coming on. Sometimes the two lights come on together sometimes individually. Also, the low tire pressure warning has come on numerous times when there was no issue with tire pressure. Now I have a new issue- the speedometer is reading incorrectly. This is very unsafe because I am teaching my son how to drive and he is very nervous already, now he has no idea how fast he is going! this problem is also intermittent but happens 80 percent of the time the vehicle is driven. Mostly, it is indicating about half of the vehicles actual speed. I also got an airbag warning yesterday for the first time. I assume this issue will start to show up more often now. This vehicle is unsafe to drive with all of these erratic warnings and indications. Please help the nation out by mandating a recall of the Ford Windstar wheel speed sensors & vehicle speed sensors.

- Imperial, MO, USA

May 022011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light comes on after 5 minutes, when the car is turned off it resets but the comes on again 5 minutes or so after driving. Cruise control not working.

- Holbrook, MA, USA

Mar 072013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light stays on. Car idles high all the time, speedometer and all other dashboard control go haywire for no reason. I have to pound on the dashboard to make it stop. This had been going on for a long time. Carmd device states ABS sensor need and various other thing. I have spend a lot of money to no avail. Seat belt attached to sliding door on the right side which is to cross over to the passenger on the second row never worked. I purchased this as a used vehicle six years ago I do like this mini van but with all of the major problems I really don't think I will be able to afford this vehicle much longer. Please help me it you can. I live in an area where a vehicle is mandatory and I am on a fixed income. I just want to be safe on the road. Please help.

- Lawndale, NC, USA

Sep 032012

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving ABS and brake light comes on 5 minutes after driving sometime not at all and now lights never go off have new brake pads and shoes took to dealer for scds recall they did not check or discuss ABS light or brake light I asked but they did not acknowledge lights or clear codes.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

Warning lights in dash come on and go off, ABS and brake light stay on, cruise control don't work every time.

- Las Animas, CO, USA

Jun 012012

Windstar 6-cyl

I purchased my car on June 1, 2012. Shortly after, the brake ABS light, brake light, tire pressure light, and engine light came on. On July 9, 2012 I took the vehicle to maroone Ford in fort lauderdale to perform necessary repairs per the recall. Maroone Ford dealership performed the recall repairs and informed me that the vehicle engine lights and tire pressure lights were issues not related to the recall. During the period from July 9, 2012 to July 12, 2012 the ABS light and brake light did not turn on. On July 13, 2012 the ABS light and brake light turned on. I called maroone Ford and I was told to bring in the vehicle to the dealership. On July 14, 2012 I took the vehicle to the dealership.

- Hallandale, FL, USA