1. replace rear axle and tires as result of axle cracking (3 reports)
  2. replaced, 100% parts and labor (2 reports)
  4. recall for broken rear axle (1 reports)
2003 Ford Windstar suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Aug 022016

Windstar LX 3.2L

I had my front end alignment checked and the mechanic discovered the rear axle was cracked. Took it to SM Ford dealerhip in Shawnee and have been giving the runner around for a week. Sidebar to the rear axle: I found a note from a previous owner describing his troubles on my windshield with his Windstar and was giving the run around. they described the same problem I am having with Ford. I have 5 kids and very hesitate to have the kids in the car. The mechanic at Ford told me he has seen worst so drive it safely. Real nice huh. My axle is not being recalled because I am not in salt state. The ridiculous part is, I did some research and Kansas is a salt state (Missouri is considered a recall state and I live minutes from the border). Ford do the right thing, the product and material has failed, man up and do the right thing for the safety of my kids and myself. Last quarter, you made billions, all I am asking is to the right thing and fix your faulty pieces and equipment.

- , Shawnee, KS, USA

Mar 282016

Windstar SE 3.8L

This was 2nd or 3rd recall for this defect. Ford initially approached problem of rear axle corrosion by installing reinforcing U-Brackets @ 2010. Ford again sent recall notice in Jan 2016 saying they needed to inspect site of repair. After bringing car to dealer we were told the axle was "broken" and needed to be replaced. Also told the replacement required a $300 (discounted) charge to us. Question- why should we have to pay anything?

Ford's official position was if original recall repair brackets were installed incorrectly, possibly causing axle to break, they would replace axle free of charge. If brackets were installed correctly Ford would replace axle (which they highly recommended) for a $300 charge. But they said my axle had to be replaced since it was "broken" (but no word if this was due to faulty installation go brackets) and charged us the $300.

If the axle broke and we have no choice but to replace it then their "band-aid" bracket repair was ineffective, regardless if they were installed right or not, As such the original fix should have been to replace that axle to begin with, at no charge to the owner. Ford should reimburse us the $300 the dealer charged.

- , Hastings On Hudson, NY, USA

Sep 032015

Windstar Limited 3.5L

click to see larger images

rear axle/control arm cracked at point fixed under recall

I bought the van recently and find the big crack at the rear axle. I did my investigation on web and found that the same year Windstar has the same issue. I called the recall to find about the recall if my van can also comes in the the area but was informed the there is no recall on my Windstar as its Vin doesn't pop ups any recall.

I have attached the recall info underneath.

2003 manufactured Windstar rear axle fracture report on October 21, 2010, Ford agreed on November 30, 2010, to extend the recall to all

2003 Windstars and to include Utah as a covered state.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jun 022015

Windstar Sport 3.8L V6

click to see larger images

rear axle/control arm cracked at point fixed under recall rear axle/control arm cracked at point fixed under recall rear axle/control arm cracked at point fixed under recall rear axle/control arm cracked at point fixed under recall

On 4/2013 we had repairs done to the van under the recall for the rear axle. on 6/2/2015. They places brackets on the axle. When I saw what they'd done I laughed at the repair thinking I don't know how this is going to prevent rust or breakage because of the fact that nothing was welded. The bracket is a 2 piece clamp like fixture that doesn't fully go around the axle, instead it just curls just over an inch around the bottom of the half round axle ...

I think due to the fact that an epoxy of some sort was smeared around the edges and filled into holes there was also a spray foam used but not currently still attached .. my first reaction was that this spray foam is porous and a really bad idea for being used with metal because essentially its a sponge, as seen in the pictures this was a very ineffective repair job and the axle. The bracket retained moisture and cause the axle to corrode even faster than if left alone.

Currently the Ford dealer has the vehicle, and we are waiting for word back from Ford what their decision will be about replacing the axle all together or telling us they can repair it on our dollar..

Update from Jun 8, 2015: ford agreed to replace the axle 100% free of charge to us.. however "the recall for that item/vehicle is over" so we really lucked out there.. but for 9 days ( on day 6) , we did our part and got the recall done, why did we have to wait 5 days for a response? why wont ford flip the bill for the rental

id just like ford to cover the cost of a rental car, in total we'd have been with out a vehicle for 9 days and ford agreed to cover the axle in full, that is acknowledgment of faulty craftsmanship .. and they should cover the 5 days we'd be renting a vehicle..not to mention the public transportation for 4 days waiting for an approval for the repair/ full replacement of the axle

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

May 042015

Windstar ES

I learned of a front axle recall on my '03 Ford Windstar. When I contacted the dealership to have work done, they informed me of a rear axle recall as well, so in the process of having the front repaired they also "repaired" the back by adding brackets. However, today on my way to work (luckily traveling at 25 mph vs. 70 mph on the interstate last night) the rear axle broke in half midway between where the brackets were attached.

The dealership told me the recall period had closed so I would be responsible for repair costs. I called Ford and 45 minutes and 2 representatives later, I was informed that Ford backs their recall work 100%. I was given a couple of ID numbers to pass along to my local dealership so they could authorize a rental car and do the repairs at no cost to me.

The dealership tells me several others before me have done the same thing, but in the end, they were not reimbursed for any work because the recall period had closed. I am now waiting to hear from a regional customer service operations manager to authorize or deny this work which has caused me great strife, although hasn't (by the grace of God) caused any bodily injury. How can a company get away with such practices?

- , Beloit, WI, USA

Apr 112015

Windstar LX 3.8L V6

click to see larger images

It felt like we hit a pot hole, but then this rubbingscraping sound started. We pulled into a nearby parking lot and I saw the tire was tilted in. Looking underneath, I could see the axle was broken under some sort of bracket. When I Googled how to fix it, I saw that there was a Ford recall for 2003 Windstar axles breaking. When I called the Ford dealer where this van has always been serviced the representative said that it already had the recall repair brackets put on. "There is no guarantee on the repair kit. It is only designed to help the axle 'break safely'!" :o Now I am looking for a used "Recalled" axle still in good condition - What's the chance of that! Ford will fix it for over $1,000 which I don't have.

IF you have a 1997-2003 Ford Windstar don't trust the Recall Repair Kit. Keep inspecting that rear axle!

- , New Brighton, PA, USA

Nov 112014

While driving doing routine errands, I noticed smoke in rear view mirror and then heard a popping sound and van then became unmanageable. I pulled over and saw that the rear driver's side axle was cracked and on the ground. The crack was inside of the brackets Ford put on in 2011 due to recall. Now three years later Ford is telling me sorry for your luck, but it's not our problem. However, we will fix your front axle as there is a recall on that as well. Yeah, so in three years it can break where you fixed it? Hmmm, and then tell me oh, by the way that will be $1400.

This Company does not stand behind their vehicles or work apparently and does care for their customers beyond selling you a piece of car!

- , Gary, IN, USA