2003 Ford Windstar suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

May 222014

Windstar

There was a recall on rear axles of Ford Windstar. I noticed my rear axle was cracked, so I called the Ford Motor Company and was told my van was not included in the recall. I was told to take my van to the local dealer and see if they could make a special exemption and have my rear axle replaced. Ford Motor Company said no, they would not fox my rear axle with 3 cracks in it, it wasn't covered in the recall. The local dealer did not want to release my van for me to drive because it was very serious and dangerous. This is the only way to get myself and my 2 young children to school, work, ballgames, etc.. the recall was for vans originally sold or currently registered in certain states that use road salt. My state (tn) does use salt. One of the states listed was Virginia. I live 5 mins from the va state line and have family that live there, so we do travel in va often. Also, the previous state on my title is va! I believe Ford should issue a mass recall on the rear axle from all the complaints I have read. I was told to keep my receipts when I have it fixed in case they issue a recall I may be reimbursed. I do not have the funds to have this fixed but it is my only way to get where I need to be. I do believe Ford Motor Company is in the wrong and something should be done.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Apr 302014

Windstar 6-cyl

The rear axle assy. Cracked and the tires where tipping in toward the body. Took it to preston, in burton, Ohio and they said the recall had been done on 04/30/2011. It was exactly 2 years to the day that it cracked right beside the bracket on the passenger side. Preston said it was out of warranty for fixing it and it will cost ust to fix it. We don't think it should be our responsibility since it was exactly 2 years to the day that it was fixed with the recall. If it was done correctly the first time and check the way it should have been then why did it break. My son is a mechanic and he said that it probably had a hair line crack in it when the did the recall fix and they didn't see it. The dealership is giving us a hard time about fixing it, because we don't have $1600 to do it and they won;T work with is to make payments or anything so far. We really think that Ford should have to pay for it or at least offer to pay for the rear axle. I would appreciate hearing from you on this matter asap. Thank you

- Middlefield, OH, USA

May 022014

Windstar 6-cyl

The "repair" they made did not hold up.this is the 2nd time it has almost killed us. Waiting on a reply from legal counsel at Ford. It is definitely totaled with the damage. I guess enough people haven't died yet to do a mass recall. Even if you had the recall done, it obviously doesn't work. How many families traveling 70 mph down the highway with this faulty vehicle need to die" thanks Ford for making our cars death traps. Ford Windstar. I hope many see this post and start demanding their cars be replaced before they kill someone.the sub frame was replaced and they even used the old hardware to save money. My brand new sub frame is held together with my rusty old bolts. I fear for the next accident hopefully my children won't be in the car this time. So no we are in round three of this death trap of a van. The customer service representative asked me. "what would you like Ford to do"" I want a car that is not continually falling apart. I wanted a buy back option in the beginning. I feel that a significant percentage above blue book is required at dealer price levels. I kept the van after the first repairs because I could not afford another vehicle and I could not bring myself to sleep at night worrying about the person and their family I sold it to. I see no reason why the buy back option should not be available to me and others out there with these repairs that are faulty. I guess enough people haven't died for the corporate people to lose sleep and bring back the vehicles that can kill others because of manufacturer defects. Please share the images on facebook and with family and friends that you love. This will kill someone if it hasn't already.

- Athens, OH, USA

Apr 072014

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, an abnormal noise was present from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the front lower control arm rear attaching bracket was fractured due to rust and corrosion. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Brewer, ME, USA

Mar 282014

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 10V385000 (suspension) and recently discovered that the rear axle was fractured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Nanuet, NY, USA

Mar 202014

Windstar

Failed Ford sub frame recall noise in front end going over bumps took in for service. I was told front sub frame was rusting apart. Ford Windstar had sub frame recall 3 years ago large brackets placed around sub frame(in Michigan). Called Ford dealer(in Florida wear vehicle resides) and they agreed to inspect and said they thought the other dealer may have place bracket around a rotten sub frame. Dealer also said Ford would not replace the sub frame and I would have to pay $3000 for that repair. My Windstar has been in Florida since the recall was performed in Michigan so it has not been in T.he "salt belt" how is it possible that the sub frame went from being safe to its current unsafe condition if the recall was done properly?

- Shelby Twp, MI, USA

Dec 302013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the front axle fractured and resulted in the detachment of the front driver's side wheel. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. There was a recall related to the defect under NHTSA campaign id number 12V194000 (suspension). The dealer was contacted but refused to repair the vehicle for an unknown reason. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 04/22/14

- Decatur, GA, USA

Feb 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

While cleaning the car I noticed a crack about 2 foot wide in the rear axle beam.

- Harrison, OH, USA

Oct 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

Purchased a 2003 Ford Windstar on 10/14/13, drove vehicle to South Carolina from New Jersey on 10/15/13, about halfway there noticed a loud clunking while braking, or turning vehicle left or right.had vehicle looked at by mechanic on 10/24/13.it was diagnosed as having a completely rotted subframe and motor mounts.I looked into recalls on the vehicle and found one for the subframe, number 11S16.I called Ford Motor Corporation on oct30, and 31st about the recall.I was told it was repaired back in apr18,2011.repairs done were an inspection of subframe, and all looked well.subframe was never replaced, now 2 years later, Ford has wiped it's hands clean of the recall saying it was satisfied on apr18,2011, by a mechanic claiming the subframe looked ok at the time.how does a faulty part that could cause a major accident, become ok because it looked good at the time of inspection"I am appalled and dishearten that a major corporation such as Ford would take the easy way out and say it's not responsible for a part that they recalled initially, and now say that because it was inspected, it now is fine.I thought a recall was in place for public safety, and if so, how does it expire"

- Cape May Court House, NJ, USA

Oct 182013

Windstar 6-cyl

My 2003 Ford Windstar was taken in for the rear axle recall and was repaired. The axle has cracked again we took it to the dealer who said that they contacted Ford about the problem and were told they would not repair or replace the axle the van only has 47000 miles on it we would like to have it repaired or replaced at Ford expense.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Jun 122013

Windstar

I have a 2003 Ford Windstar that has been owned by my family since it left the line. I was notified of a recall to the control arms in 2011 and took my vehicle to the dealer. In June 2012 I was driving home from work and had just turned on my street when I heard a loud bang and my car would barely more. When it happened I thought that my engine had hit the ground. I luckily was one house away from home( I had just gotten off the expressway traveling 70 miles an hour.) as I limped my way into the drive way I thought that maybe I had a flat the way that my car was driving. However when I got out of the car my entire drivers side of the car was less than an inch from the ground. After having it towed to a shop I was told that my strut (spring) had jumped off the mount. I was told there was nothing wrong with the strut (spring) but that it had jumped the mount. Needless to say when Ford was contacted I was told that they were not responsible. This is very wrong given there was extentsive damage done to the control arm and it pulled the tie-rod end out of the passenger side. There were no issues with the front end and I feel that the brackets that were installed due to the recall may have shifted the strut and caused the damage. But Ford would not have anything to do with the matter.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Apr 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

We drove to the store and realized that our rear tires were tilted. We were looking at it and a guy that worked at the garage next door climbed under and told us what it was. He said that the rear axle was broken, he also said that there had been a recall on the vehicle. I contacted our local Ford dealer and the person I spoke to told me that I was covered by the recall and that they would send out a tow truck and the would fix it. The tow truck came and a few hours later the Ford dealer called and said that I was not covered and the I would have to pay for the tow and I would have to tow it off of their lot. This happened after he already told me that I was covered. I eventually had to get a loan to pay for it and I couldn't even afford a new axle I had to get someone to weld it back together and now every couple of months it breaks again. I am now on my third fix. I was doing research on this on the internet and I found something that said that puerto rico was now covered in that recall. I was told that it was just cold weather states. I live in cleveland, Ohio. Just because my car was not made here doesn't mean that I shouldn't be covered. I have already had the control arm recall kit put on and now I found out that there was another recall on the electrical equipment all of my ABS lights and break lights are on. I really need this to be fixed please change the recalls to include other vehicles too.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 102013

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while reversing at unknown speeds, he heard an abnormal noise. Upon inspection, it was found that the rear axle was fractured and the front sub frame was completely rusted. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id numbers: 11V030000 (structure) and 12V195000 (suspension). The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failures were confirmed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Jul 222013

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the rear driver's side axle was cracked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was not available.

- Barbourville, KY, USA

Jul 102006

Windstar 6-cyl

Bought the 2003 Windstar in 04/26/ 2004 it was a certified program car from a dealer and had mileage of 013335 we have had several problems with it. First the rear doors will close and then reopen the dealer replaced the sensors in the doors still have that problem, second the ball joints need replaced, third the passenger window would not roll up or down intermittently, fourth lift gate door ajar light keeps coming on you get out and shut it and it still is on next time you open and close maybe a day or two later it will go off, fifth the ABS and brake lights on dash come on and sixth the passenger door ajar light comes on and won't go off. The side doors and the window was noticed before the warranty went out so we bought the extended warranty.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Jul 122013

Windstar 6-cyl

Rear axle completely snapped in two. Also, the van has the ABS and brake lights are on took in for a code read and nothing. The electrical acts very strange music and lights fade in and out and the cruise control is very jerky.

- Alba, MI, USA

Jun 112013

Windstar 6-cyl

I was starting to get a clunking noise from the rear end of my 2003 Windstar minivan which continued to become worse. I took the van into a reputable shop to have it checked. I witnessed the inspection and it was difficult to figure out what was wrong but it was discovered that corrosion caused cracks in the axel and it needed to be replaced. There was a recall on the axel but when I contacted Ford (both a dealer a Ford recall information line) I was told my it was not valid for my. The recall was for issued for states that use salt and I when I bought the van I lived in Ohio but moved to miami Florida in miami 2007 ( now in central fl) no road salt but still a salt environment. There repair was $663 and I believe that this recall should extend to all vans that have this type of risk with a refund due from Ford.

- Palm Bay , FL, USA

Feb 102011

Windstar 6-cyl

Ford safety recall 11S16 was to reinforce or replace rear axle to ensure vehicle safety. Ford installed brackets that were either ineffective, improperly installed, or axle was already cracked when installed. When owner was informed of possible cracks in rear axle April 2013 Ford was immediately notified and Ford response is that there are no factory warranties or programs in effect to assist with this issue. This vehicle currently has 110200 miles on it. It has been driven 12,000 miles since the recall. At the time of the safety recall 11S16 repairs the owner had requested that Ford replace the axle instead of installing brackets, and was willing to contribute towards the additional repair costs. Ford refused to replace the axle, installing the brackets instead. Subsequently, Ford repairs were ineffective and resulted in cracks in the rear axle. As of this date, Ford has taken the position that the repairs to the vehicle are the responsibility of the owner. The owner disagrees and is requesting that Ford be required to live up to their agreement under the safety recall 11S16, to ensure that the rear axle of said vehicle meets or exceeds safety requirements.

- Norwood, NY, USA

Jun 262013

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the rear axle was fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V385000 (suspension). The failure mileage was approximately 199,000.

- Andale, KS, USA

Sep 012004

Windstar 6-cyl

We have not been properly informed about all of the recalls or other issues with our vehicle. The vehicle does have a lot of problems from the electrical, structure, engine lights are always throwing codes needing a lot of sensor replacements at our cost, the rpms seem to run fast sitting at a light(we have to turn off the engine and then restart), and the engine seems to run hot, brakes, cruise control(cannot use), traction control(cannot use), interior light are always flickering, passenger windows(cannot use) and door locks(cannot use), both rear windows(cannot use), leaks from roof, rear door and sliding doors, the cruise control, brake and traction control lights stay on while driving(we were told by a dealership that we can still drive the vehicle, but we won't have anti-lock brakes.), the ac is always having trouble staying charged, the ac/heat control switches have malfunctioned(it has to be set away from the cold and the speed to 3/4 speed to work right), the battery keeps losing charge, the brake tail lights stay on draining the battery and had to get repaired by us because the dealership could not locate the problem, driver seat has malfunctioned(cannot use per dealership's request), cruise control and traction control does not work, suspension seems to have a lot of squeaks and popping sounds, alternator and starter had to be replaced several times, the coil packs need constant replacements, all spark plugs and wires had to be replaced before their time, cannot use the rear wiper because it goes down onto the paint and starts wiping the paint and not the rear window, constantly replacing exterior lights all around, the engine constantly cuts out, we told the dealership for several years that there was an antifreeze smell and they could not locate it until 5-28-13, replaced bad front and rear axles on 5/28/13 and many others. 12K-18K to repair everything.

- Reston, VA, USA