2007 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 GMC Acadia:

2007 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Jul 292013

Acadia 6-cyl

I parked my car last night with no signs of transmission problems. This morning I get into to go to work and I notice that the vehicle will not shift out of first gear. Problem is diagnosed and found to be "transmission shift solenoid a". deal stated that they are not aware of any such problems with this make and model. After researching online I discover many many of the same exact issues with same make and model. Dealer is requiring $3000 the repair.

- Eastvale, CA, USA

Jul 042013

Acadia 6-cyl

As I was taking a family trip, I was traveling through some steeper grades when the vehicle rpms were registering very high and would not shift to lower gears even when my travel speed slowed down. On my display a warning came on saying to idle the vehicle transmission hotĚ I then pulled over in a very busy road and let the vehicle idle for 10 min it then shut off but had very weird driving characteristic the rest of the way. This included when shifting from second gear to third it felt like the clutch would pop and jerk the vehicle when it did shift. Thankfully as we got closer to a town the vehicle engine light came on and we immediately contact onstar and they gave us the codes all relating to the vehicle wave plate failure. I then had to take it to a dealer out in the town we were visiting at the time which was a major headache. This was very disappointing considering the vehicle barley had over 50,000 miles and GMC is supposed to be a upgrade for GM. Shame on them for not recalling all 2007-2009 models to repair this issue. Needless to say GM did offer to help with repair cost only cause they know it's a know issue which I appreciate but the fact is with that low of miles on the vehicle that should have never happened in the first place.

- 111222, AZ, USA

Jul 142013

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving home from the beach with my friend, no service lights were on. While driving on the garden state parkway my car was becoming sluggish on the pickup while changing lanes. A couple exits down the road the check engine light came on along with a message - "transmission hot, idle engine". I safely pulled the car over 2 exits away into the reststop and shut the car off. I waited approximately 20-25 minutes and restarted the car, all service lights were now gone. Me and my friend decided to now cautiously drive the car home since all the service warnings had gone away. As we began to pull out of the reststop the vehicle could not accelerate I then was stuck on the side of the express lane on the parkway. Since this incident I had the vehicle checked and it turns out my entire transmission is broken, not one salvageable part to rebuild my own transmission. I find this extremely ridiculous that a car with 63,000 miles that is supposed to be of good quality is having this problem. I have also found a transmission problems website/blog ranting about their transmissions problems in 2007-2008 GMC Acadia vehicles all with 60,000-72,000 miles. Clearly this is a problem that needs to be addressed, this is extremely unsafe and unacceptable. A recall should be established for this transmission problem, this needs to be looked into immediately.

- Sewaren, NJ, USA

Jul 162013

Acadia

Started the vehicle this morning with remote start, got in and pushed the key forward. As I left the apartment complex on my way to the post office, I noticed my Acadia started having problems shifting past 20mph. I took it to a local transmission shop and when they drained the fluid, the fluid was burnt requiring the transmission to be opened up. I have still not had the transmission manipulated past the fluid drainage. I even took video of the speedometer and RPM gauge while it was having trouble shifting.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 112013

Acadia 6-cyl

Car shut down while I was driving. After awhile it started back up but it would only go on first gear so I could go more than 20mph. Then when I went home, the check engine light came on and the reverse did not work. I have read alot of complaints about the same problem with 2007 Acadias. I hope these cars get recalled because some people might not be as lucky as I was were there weren't any cars around or in the interstate.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 052013

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle is hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Had serviced with new transmission fluid on 7/2/13. On 7/5/13 vehicle would no longer shift at all while traveling on the freeway on our way to family vacation to hilton head SC. It was towed to parks Chevrolet in charlotte, nc where transmission was disassembled with parts replaced and rebuilt. Upon departure of pickup vehicle is still shifting hard from 1st to 2nd gear (around 20-25mph) and we hope to make back home to Ohio safely. I've researched this issue is common in GMC Acadias. Issues needs addressed and resolved for safety! I will be returning the vehicle to Chevy dealer when we return home for further service. We have already paid the warranty deductible and hope to not incur more expenses!

- Poland, OH, USA

Jun 252013

Acadia 6-cyl

The car suddenly lost power on the interstate. It locked down into "limp home" mode. We had crawl along the berm at 30 mph. The problem was diagnosed by GM as transmission failure due to failing of the wave plate. This wave plate is a known problem to GM but as of now no recall has been issued. I have read online blogs about this issue and it is a frequent and unsafe failure of this drive-train. Our car is out of warranty by years but only has 84K miles on it. GM has offered us a 50/50 split on the repair which they would never do if they were not aware of this issue. I think it should be their full responsibility. Please investigate, thank you.

- Morris, IL, USA

Jun 212013

Acadia

Driving up hill, loosing power, finally made it up hill car just stopped - almost like it was in neutral gear. Couldn't go anywhere, car started right up and when I pressed on gas it revved up like it wanted to go, but no movement. Still like in neutral gear. Found out that lots of 07 and 08 Acadia owners have had issues with the wave plate (which is what mechanic at dealership told me it is). And the power train, which ends up making the transmission fail. There are far too many Acadias owners out there who have had these issues. I think it's wrong that GMC doesn't investigate or recall the cars for this cost. I called GMC customer service and feel as if they don't truly care, they just want to snub off the issue and tell you to have a great day! my dad worked for GMC for 20 years, and I always had a high opinion of them up until now. I am very disappointed in them. I feel like they have lost their loyal customers. Because of this I will never again buy GMC which is a shame because that's all my dad bought in the past is GMC. I am grateful that the car didn't give out while I was going up the hill and I didn't have my kids in the car. Luckily I was able to make it up the hill. I feel GMC should step up and investigate this issue and replace them with more quality parts. I feel as if the Acadia is very cheaply made.

- North Brookfield, MA, USA

Jun 022013

Acadia 6-cyl

This issue started when I was driving down the road at 35mpg. The Acadia tried to shift into a higher gear but clunked very loudly and jolted the whole car. From that point forward the vehicle was stick in 3rd gear. It wouldn't up shift or down shift. The car limped home but starting on hills or at stop signs was almost impossible. Once I got the car home I checked the transmission fluid. Transmission fluid ok. I then tested the car again by trying to back out of the driveway. The transmission made a loud grinding noise and would now longer move in reverse. I had the car towed from my house to a local trusted mechanic. The mechanic stated that the waveplate failed. He also said that this was a know deficiency in these vehicles and that the transmission would need to be replaced or rebuilt. I had to spend $3950 to rebuild the transmission on a 2007 vehicle with 80000 miles. I would appreciate a reimbursement from GM for this obvious quality problem.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Jun 122013

Acadia

Powertrain (transmission) gave - out at 72100 miles on my 2007 GMC Acadia and GMC dealer stating "move plate" and "controlled module" and estimates are at $4000. I have read many complaints online about this issue and it should be mention on NHTSA and have GMC make a recall.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Jan 172013

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle would hesitate to accelerate and operate sluggishly. The timing chain was replaced by the dealer however, the failure late recurred with the illumination of the check engine warning light. An engine flush was performed on the vehicle and the failure subsided for three weeks before recurring. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who advised that there was a seized solenoid in the transmission, which would require replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Wallkill, NY, USA

May 222013

Acadia 6-cyl

While an hour from home, I was driving through a town and suddenly could get no "pickup" to start after stopping at a stoplight. I was just sitting there in the intersection while traffic drove around me. I continued to my destination this way, barely able to get going after stopping. Then when coming home I had "pickup" but the vehicle was shifting improperly. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a broken wave plate and said it needed a new transmission. After reading about all the other Acadia owners who are also having this problem, I believe the problem needs to be addressed by GMC. I drove my car after I was told it needed a new transmission, and the transmission failed in a big way while I was driving down the road. Suddenly I was pushing the gas pedal, but nothing was happening - my vehicle was just coasting. I think this is a huge safety issue and that there should be a recall to fix these faulty wave plates.

- Greencastle, PA, USA

May 252013

Acadia 6-cyl

No prior problems, no warnings. We pulled up to a stop sign, came to a stop and then proceeded through the intersection when the transmission failed. We were left stalled in front of oncoming traffic. I had myself and 5 passengers including four children ages 10 and under. If the traffic had not stopped we all could have suffered major injuries. There was no reason prior to the failure to suspect that there we any problems. No engine warning lights or anything.

- Artesia, NM, USA

May 202013

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving down the highway the transmission failed. Turns out the 2007-2009 models have a known issue of a failed "wave plate". my son and I were almost in an accident because of this. The vehicle was towed to the GMC dealer.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 182013

Acadia 6-cyl

On 1/25/13 our 2007 GMC Acadia was towed to the show for what was described as a timing chain premature ware and was covered under a recall. The mileage on that date was 52,788. It is our understanding that the motor and transmission had to be removed. On May 18th 2013 I was driving and the car made a loud noise and decelerated down to 25 mph with a high RPM. At that point I pulled over. I noticed the car had no reverse. I brought the car to the local GM dealer. Today they called and said the transmission is shot. Current mileage 55,308. Waiting to hear back on exact issue. After reading online this is a know design flaw and has been since corrected. I should not have to pay for GM's design flaws. Also this is a major safety issue when your vehicle slows to a maximum of 25mph on a main road or highway.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Apr 022013

Acadia 6-cyl

There is a problem with the transmission on these vehicles. I was told so by the technician that replaced mine. Our transmission gave out and left my wife and child stranded on the side of the road. The tech who worked on my vehicle said that the wave plate in this transmission blows apart. The ones that are being issued to rebuild are better. If there is an issue with these transmissions leaving people on the side of the road why hasn't there been a recall?

- Philpot, KY, USA

May 102013

Acadia 6-cyl

1-heated washer removed, catalyst converter replaced, timing chain issue, fuel pump, head lights all replace due to defect and now @ 89,500 I have a major transmission issue a PO752 code has been noted and the car is 5.5 years old and believe this is a defect GMC is aware of and failed to fix, even sugggested by amaaco the tcm may even need replacing. Feel like this car has been one defect after another which led to other defects happening and premature wear and tear on other parts.

- Burlington, NC, USA

May 042013

Acadia

Transmission failure due to faulty factory issued wave plate. This should have been a recall as GM appears to be very aware of this problem in most early year model Acadias. The price tag alone is $4,000+... not to mention a rental car and making payments on an undrivable vehicle while it sits for who knows how long since the transmission is on national back order because its such a common problem.

- Graham, WA, USA

Apr 222013

Acadia 6-cyl

No speed entering the freeway and then reverse shot the car forward into a front yard and almost into a house. I entered the freeway after picking my 4 year old up from pre-school with my 1 year old also in the car. The car would not gain speed and rpms spiking. Nearly got in an accident merging onto the freeway, exited first offramp, pulled into neighborhood and turned into driveway to do a three point turn to park on the side of street. Put the car in reverse lightly tapped the pedal, and instead it sped forward as though the gas pedal was pinned to the floor. We went deep into the front yard of house stopping just short of the house. Aaa came and towed the car to the closest GM dealer. Aaa driver tested reverse and it would only go forward. He said he had never seen anything like it. So grateful this didn't happen minutes before in the preschool parking lot which is a U shape where the parents line up and the teachers bring the kids out. The experience was terrifying. We parked next to an Acadia yesterday and my 4 year old said "mommy we should tell them they have a bad car." Called GM immediately and every day since (2 weeks) - no response, I am just shuffled between representatives. My car is still sitting in the dealer's lot. My car also had a purge value problem causing it not to start after getting gas, and a power steering problem. It is one thing for the transmission to fail at 64,000 miles and another for it to almost drive you through someone's house. GM does not seem to care.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 292013

Acadia 6-cyl

We bought this car used. Had it for less than a year and only put 8,000 miles on it. On a return business trip the transmission went out while going down the interstate. Had to call for a tow and have had the worst experiences with the dealerships working on it. I'm absolutely over this GMC and the junky car they created in the Acadia.

- Bloomington, IN, USA