2007 GMC Acadia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 GMC Acadia:

2007 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 292013

On Monday, with my children in the car, I started noticing that the car was not shifting correctly. I did not think much about it. Then on the wed of that week as I was driving in a major city downtown area for the morning commute, the engine light came on... I was at a stop tried to accelerate and the RPM's revved. Stepped on the gas and the car would only go 1 to 2 miles an hour then speed up... dealer said that there were "many parts in the pan" and that I needed to have transmission replaced. $3600 plus tax or have it rebuilt $3300 plus tax. Called GM after reading the various post on edmunds about the Acadia problems. They were very nice and opened a claim but as of yet, no one ever called me back. When they opened the claim they said someone would be in touch within 2 business days (and they would see what they could do on saving me some money on the bill) as I was due back at the dealership to pick up my car.

- Belmont, MA, USA

May 042013

Transmission failure due to faulty factory issued wave plate. This should have been a recall as GM appears to be very aware of this problem in most early year model Acadias. The price tag alone is $4,000+... not to mention a rental car and making payments on an undrivable vehicle while it sits for who knows how long since the transmission is on national back order because its such a common problem.

- Graham, WA, USA

Apr 242013

Car will not accelerate, engine just revs and rpms increase to 5000+ when attampting to change from third to fourth gear. Thankfully, I was on a road less traveled and did not get smashed in the back with my son in the back seat on the highway. What a safety hazard!

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Mar 042013

Acadia 6-cyl

Engine light on vehicle, the vehicle will not shift into gear - happened three times had to pull off side of road to not get hit from other vehicles and 5 year old was also in car with me. Had to shut off the car multiple times to get started again and for it to finally shift into gears. Took car to dealer and they replaced transmission control module valve. On 4/1/13 car would not go into reverse on incline. Had to drive forward and reverse on flat area, dealer now says they found broken wave plate and burned 3-5 reverse clutch. Also found internal defect park of valve body. Car is only 5 years old and has only 55 thousand miles on it. Saw other issues on this database all with broken wave plates on 07 Acadias. Paid thousands of dollars to get this fixed.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 222013

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle has about 50,000 miles but a few months out of warranty and started giving me problem shifting gear. Researched the problem and found a lot of similar complaints out there but GM is refusing to take responsibility and making owners pay to fix the problem. Transmission is defective.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Nov 082012

Acadia 6-cyl

Manufacturer defect to transmission.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Oct 212012

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission went completely out while driving on I-79 4 hours from home, while driving the speed limit of 60-65mph, had to push car out of road, towed car to a dealership that we did not know, was told the transmission was completely gone and had to be replaced at a replacement cost of $3600. Had to rent a car to get back home in which cost $275, went looking into this matter found over 90 pages of complaints on

- Forest, VA, USA

Sep 152012

My transmission went out after 58,000 miles and 5 years and 5 months. So I am over my warranty by 5 months and am out $3300. In doing some research, there seems be an abnormally high incident of transmission failures on the 2007 GMC Acadia. Some bloggers indicate that the Acadia models have big issues before the 2010 model. Is there a systematic issue that GMC needs to address or am I just unlucky?

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 282012

Basically bottom line is this is the 4th major thing I've had my Acadia in the shop for. This repair of a rebuilt transmission is costing me $3500 out of my pocket. Supposedly the GM customer rep does not think there is anything they can do for me because my car is 5 years old and 131000 miles.. that is just bs!!!!! I spent $40,000 on this car to drive it longer than this and for all the things to start nickel and dimming me is ridiculous. The mechanic at the GM certified garage told me that GM used a prt in the transmission on the 07-10 models of the Acadia that cost them 1.69 and that they know they should have used a part that cost them $39, so this is the part that is breaking in the transmissions and making them junk and having to be rebuilt or new ones put it.. GM didn't want to recall the 07-10 models because it would have affected millions of cars, so they are just letting the owners suffer for their stupidity and lack of responsibility. My biggest complaint after the money is the fact the my child was driving my vehicle when this happened, he was panicked as he could not go over 30mph on a very busy road and the vehicle started to shut down on him!! he is very lucky the vehicle made it to a safe place and he was not rear ended as the car just stopped on him!!! really GM when are you going to recall these models and make it right for all of us that have to encounter such a high expense?? I really can not afford another vehicle or the $3500 to repair this one, but that is my only choice!!!!

- Marblehead, OH, USA

Jul 272012

My transmission has to be replaced at 131,000 miles and a cost of over $3400 out of my pocket. Well here I am again... this is the third major thing that has happened to my 2007 Acadia.. I had to have all new timing chains put on 103,000 miles, had to have my service tire sensor fixed at 112,000 miles, I have done all the re-calls for the sun-roof leak, the heated windshield fluid, and whatever else hs been re-called on this vehicle!!! my 17 year old son was driving my car in heavy traffic on a major highway when the car just stopped and then he could only get it to go 30 mph. He is lucky he was not rear ended. I took it to the dealer, it will not go over 30 mph and reverse. I spoke with the head mechanic at the GM garage that is putting a new transmission in my Acadia at the cost of $3400 to me, and he told me that all the 2007-2010 Acadia's have a part in the transmission that cost GM $1.69 instead of using the part they should have used that would have cost them $39. He said GM know they should have recalled all the 2070-2010 Acadia's but chose not too because it would have been millions of vehicles involved, so instead "thank you GM" for screwing all of us and now we have to pay for your mistake and cut backs....

- Marblehead, OH, USA

Jul 302012

While driving, the vehicle started skipping/catching while accelerating and the temperature gauge started to creep up. I entered a left turn lane in order to pull over. When traffic cleared I attempted to accelerate to make it into the parking lot. Warning bells started going off "shut off engine" "shut off A/C" "enging overheat" and the truck shut off. I had picked up enough momentum as I had begun my turn but it was still literally a coast into the parking lot, narrowly avoiding a T-bone situation with an oncoming mini van. It was so close the mini-van laid on the horn and slammed on her brakes. I coasted into the parking lot but was unable to make it into a spot. I took out my keys and opened my door to get out. The alarms continued even without keys in it. There was antifreeze pouring out from underneath the vehicle. I had to turn on and off the car no less than three times to stop the warning bells. I called a local shop and had it towed. They replaced the water pump and A/C belt. Got my vehicle back two days later. Drove to work in the morning with no issues, however coming home it started to catch/skip again. (I live only 5 miles away from work). I had my husband drive it back up to the shop to have it looked at. When he got into it he was unable to reverse it; reverse just simply stopped working. He had to turn around in our yard - on the way to the shop (6 miles away) the vehicle would not go over 30 mph and again shut off on him while trying to turn into the auto shop. The diagnosis now is that it needs a new transmission. Upon further online research I have found thousands of other owners of the same model/make and year with the exact same issues occurring roughly around the same mileage/time frame. There are three other Acadias alone at our local GM dealership waiting to be fixed with the exact same issues.

- Lexington Park, MD, USA

Mar 012008

Acadia 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

03/01/2008 - 16,000 I wasn't able to steer, power steering is completely out on the middle of the road 12/01/2008 - 32,000 - misfire in the 2 engine cylinders and was making lot of noise, dealer took 5 weeks to fix the problem 06/01/2009 - 41,000 issue with the engine making noise at start, had to make multiple trips to the dealer 06/01/2011 - 66,000 water pump leaking 03/01/2012 - 72,000 brake control failure 06/29/2012 - 76,000 broken wave plates, evaporater solenoid, and transmission failure most of these issues are very common in this model, GMC need to recall and fix once for all rather than waiting on the issue to happen on each vehicle.

- Katy, TX, USA