2007 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 GMC Acadia:

2007 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 102015

Acadia

The sunroof leaks and causes electrical problems. Suddenly while driving the power steering gears, rack, and bushings are defective causing the power steering to go out during low speeds. Tried having it replaced under the recall, however, 9 months later the same thing happened and nobody wants to fix it or allows for the dealer to replace it again. This is a major safety feature that should never be acceptable! also, the transmission already had to be replaced and is going out again. The manufacture made a faulty vehicle and should be held accountable for these parts and the labor not to mention the inconvenience of having to fight with the dealer and GM to get the problem corrected.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Feb 052016

Acadia

I was driving home and as I was making a slow turn into my driveway the power steering all of the sudden cut out and I slid off the road and into a ditch. As I have browsed the internet there are thousands of reports of similar happenings.

- Spencer, MA, USA

Oct 202015

Acadia

My power steering is leaking. Some recalls have been made on other vehicles but not mine.

- Saranac Lake, NY, USA

Dec 032012

Acadia

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact received an unknown notification from the manufacturer that indicated that the power steering and transmission would be repaired for free if the failure occurred under the accepted warranted mileage. The contact mentioned that the transmission was repaired, but the gear shift failure recurred intermittently. In addition, while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The dealer did not repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 202015

Acadia

Anytime I turn thepower steering is gone at low speeds. I have searched the problem and almost every Acadia owner has had this problem.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Feb 142015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. While driving 25 mph and making a left or right turn, the vehicle vibrated and there was a loss of power steering. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Destrehan, LA, USA

Feb 202015

Acadia 6-cyl

I experienced the issue while driving in the city about 25 mph. I lost power steering while turning and almost hit another car. I have received a recall letter from GM and I scheduled an appointment with the dealership. They required my VIN number to check and make sure my car was covered under the recall and assured me that it was. I then took my car to the dealer and after they had it for 4 hours, I received a call stating they won't cover it because I exceeded the mileage by 10,000 miles. The dealership then attempted to make me pay a diagnostic fee. I contacted GM and they are not willing to do anything to help. I have owned my car for 2 years and they are just now notifying me about the recall. The dealership was only willing to give me a 5% discount off of $1084. I have expressed my feeling on this and explained that I just received the letter and that the car is 8 years old, why did it take them so long to contact the customers. They really expect a 8 year old car to have less then the 150,000 mile limit they set. I also expressed that this is a serious safety issue when you lose all power steering while driving.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 232007

Acadia

The 2007 GMC Acadia and other vehicles built on the lambda platform are extremely dangerous. These vehicles intermittently loose power steering during the rain. GMC is aware of this aware of this problem and has created a service bulletin, but the alleged repair does not fix the problem. GM has known about this very dangerous problem and continues to allow these dangerous vehicles to be on the road. GM has refused to recall the effected vehicles. I have repeatedly reported this problem to the dealer, GM executives, GM engineers and the GM engineers have been aware of this dangerous product defect, but refused to act.

- Troy, MI, USA

Jun 112014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Benton, IL, USA

Aug 012014

Acadia

Steering locks up when driving down the road causing you to lose all control of your vehicles steering. We almost hit traffic light and hit by a semi on the interstate. Also transmission failed and will loose all power when your driving down the road. This vehicle is dangerous to drive and is a very common problem. This needs to be recalled or a class action lawsuit needs to be opened. This vehicle only has 88,000 miles on it and is a hazard to drive.

- Benton, IL, USA

Jul 192012

Acadia

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. When driving various speeds in wet conditions, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lawerenceville, GA, USA

Jun 122014

Acadia

Twice, in a matter of 24 hours, as we were pulling out of our driveway, the power steering stopped abruptly. Fortunately we were moving slowly in our driveway at the time. Following each incident the car was put in park and there was a loud screeching sound when stepping on the gas pedal. Just as quickly as both problems occurred, they disappeared. We have also been dealing with wiring issues. Sometimes the speakers work sometimes they don't. sometimes the warning systems (I.e back-up alarm, keys in ignition, low fuel level, door ajar, etc.) sounds and other times they don't.

- East Greenville, PA, USA

Jul 212010

Acadia 6-cyl

In 2010 I reported a noise in the steering. GMC dealership determined that the steering rod needed replaced. They worked on the vehicle and when driving away the steering still had the same noise. Obviously this was not the steering rod causing the issue. I reported this issue again and they determine that there was no power steering fluid. They added fluid and it temporarily caused the noise to go away. There has been many complaints about this issue with two separate GMC dealerships over the years. Finally now that my Acadia has 55,000 miles the dealership tells me the noise is the steering column and is wanting to charge me $1450 to fix it. This was under warranty when the problem came up and I feel it should be covered under warranty by GMC manufacturer since this was an issue early on with this vehicle. GMC is also having issue with steering column in 2009 -2012 GMC automobiles so this is not a new issue.

- Salem, OR, USA

Apr 062014

Acadia 6-cyl

While rounding a highway off ramp, power steering got extremely stiff. There were no other problems with the system prior. I got home, checked the fluid, and it was full. The next day I went to my local GMC dealer to discuss problem and repairs. The service writer stated "we know there is a problem with the power steering systems on these vehicles, and they typically fail in the 70 to 90 thousand mile range." Then they wanted $2000 for repairs. Repairs which are getting done cheaper at my local garage. My problem with this, is that GM knows there is a safety defect with this vehicle, but has done nothing to remedy the problem, other than make people feel that they have to spend huge amounts of money to fix. I also understand this is the same action the company took in the ignition issue they are currently going through. Yes, I am angry at GM for not backing their product, but that is not why I am writing to you. I am writing to you, because I am a first responder, and see first hand what can happens with safety issues to vehicles. What if this issue happened to someone who knows little about cars, other than how to fuel and drive them safely" what if it was a family and their children in the vehicle when this happened and they did have an accident" I understand all hypotheticals, but a safety issue none the less. Thank you for your time.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Apr 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering does not function at all in low speeds or warm weather. Power steering fluid changed by dealer to transmission fluid in 2013 per dealer bulletin and it still does not work.

- Quaker Hill, CT, USA

Feb 252013

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving to the store, going down hill on the right side of the road. Mid-way down a message appeared on the computer saying "engine failure, power off" and the car just shut down with out warning. No matter how hard I pressed on the gas the car was shut off. The steering went out as well and I had to stand in the seat to use all my power to turn the wheel. Previous to this, the check engine light had not been on, no advance warning of this. I had both of my children in the car at the time. Luckily there was a bp gas station with garage at the bottom of the hill, I was able to coast the car into the gas station where they ran diagnostic testing and repaired my car and reset the sensors. Nine months later I was driving with both of my children again, in North East Washington DC when out of no where the same message appeared. I was able to pull the car over to the side of the road and restart the engine one time. I turned around to go home and on the drive home the same thing happened on a less of an incline of a hill. The car shut down completely towards the top of the hill going down. Same as before, no gas and no steering ability. I was too scared to leave the car on the side as cars coming over the hill would not have time to stop before hitting us. I put the car in neutral and tried to glide down the hill to the shell station. The car cut out completely and lost all momentum so I had to push the car into the gas station and wait 3 hours for the tow truck to arrive. It went back to the bp station from February and had a new battery and several other items replaced. I bought this car new in 2007 and have had countless breakdowns and replacements- two transmissions within the first 3 years and repairs. I keep up with car maintenance regularly and do no neglect anything.

- Silver Spring , MD, USA

Jan 252010

Acadia 6-cyl

This car is dangerous. Driving 65mph on freeway when every service and warning light went on. Replaced entire instrument cluster and replace ipc, could have killed us and others. Also engine was removed to repair engine front cover leak at 39,000, now at 85,000 same leak repair is required at cost of $2926. That means every 40,000 miles you need to spend $3000 and have engine removed. Power steering always made whining noise which I was told is normal. At 85,000 was told steering rack and pinion gears need replacement and I am sure the pump needs replacement as well $2000. When driving on the freeway could not stop on exit without brake pedal being pushed all the way to floor, stabiltrak light on could have killed us or someone. Had to replace brake master cylinder. Water pump was leaking after engine was put back in from 1st repair of front cover engine seal. Timing chain has stretch you can hear it, but they only added thrust washers. Rear liftgate - while loading groceries lift gate free fell closed on daughters head. Was told rear lift gate shocks failed. Could have killed someone. This car is a death trap. Don't buy it.

- Santa Rosa Valley, CA, USA

Sep 032013

Acadia

While driving the vehicle the steering lock up. My wife almost got into a accident this happen twice it also happen to me I took it to the dealer they could not pin point the problem they gave me a paper about intermittent stiff steering I told them this is very dangerous we just bought the truck a year ago for 20.000 dollars

- Mastic, NY, USA

Feb 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

The first issue was the water pump, replaced it and 2 months later out went the power steering pump. At that time of replacing the power steering pump the dealership also replaced the rack and pinion and timing chain. Now, it's the transmission. Going rounds with GM to get them to take care of the issue in its entirety. This vehicle doesn't even have 63K miles on it! this vehicle is defective in every which way. I'm worried about what will go out next. I was looking for something reliable and safe and this Acadia has been everything but that. I have several friends that are also experiencing the same issues. Let the game begin. I have never had a vehicle that I feel is so unsafe and unreliable. I am a hard working woman who drove the same car for 13 years and had none of the issues that I am having with this Acadia that I paid twice as much for! so, to anyone wanting to purchase an Acadia, do reconsider, even as dependable as you feel your dealership may be...it will be a lemon in the long run. Be prepared to get your gloves on in the ring with GMC as I'm currently doing...as I'm driving a dealership loaner, for 2 days now...good luck!

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jun 302011

Acadia 6-cyl

When I purchased the vehicle there was a noticeable whine in the steering. I asked the salesman and he said that noise was typical with Acadia's and there was no issue with the car. When I took it in for an oil change at a different dealer right before we left on vacation, I was told the power steering pump was going out and needed to be replaced immediately. Did that even though we were delayed going on vacation and subsequently had it replaced two more times as well. Also have had leaks in the sunroof that continue to return, and have now messed up my power window controls to the point that I can not control any of the other windows from the drivers seat. Have had to replace the water pump, front struts, and now the solenoids are being replaced as well. When I purchased my car it had right at 54K miles on it and I had an extended warranty, that covered my power steering pump issues, but I have had to deal with the rest. I will have now put almost $3K into repairs that seem to be very typical with this car, based on what I have read on the internet.

- Point Pleasant, WV, USA